Brown water in coolant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are the blue parts of the diagram representative of water and the red or exhaust gas? If they are then the part that has cracked will be leaking water, I just wouldn't have thought a part of that thickness would not have fractured, could it be a result of the heat exchanger being blocked and it over heating? The car temp has been a little erratic.

Grober;
Also would the failure of the heat exchanger cause water in the oil? I don't think this has happened as I read there would be a white liquid in the oil. Many thanks for the help

No the blue colouration represents colder inlet air, the red exhaust gases. The water cooled EGR heat exchanger is to cool the exhaust gases before they are recirculated into the inlet system. they often leak allowing an exchange of exhaust gases and coolant.
ANOTHER PICTURE of the EGR ASSEMBLY from a different angle showing to 2 coolant connection pipes to the heat exchanger item 4. Its true if coolant gets into the oil it will show up as a white emulsion but that's usually from a defective head gasket where coolant has a direct passage to the oil galleries. In the case of EGR HEAT EXCHANGER FAILURE the coolant ends up being introduced to the inlet via 5 and out the exhaust.
29-circuit-agr-recyclage-gaz-echappement-moteur-om651.jpg

yeah looks like u have 2 faults coolant loss somewhere but not on that exhaust pipe as no water in there lol
can u not take it out and try fix the crack with a weld - only a thought

Hi,

Are you sure the coolant is coming from the pipe?

It is very close the the water pump which is known to fail on the OM651 (and probably every engine).
When it fails it will leak coolant which is then sprayed all around the local area.

Hi,

Are you sure the coolant is coming from the pipe?

It is very close the the water pump which is known to fail on the OM651 (and probably every engine).
When it fails it will leak coolant which is then sprayed all around the local area.

Yep after taking more parts off I cleaned the silver pipe and it's water coming from behind the water pump and spraying onto the pipe not water coming out of the pipe (thank God) thank you for all the suggestions and help narrowing down the (now simple) fault.

Yep after taking more parts off I cleaned the silver pipe and it's water coming from behind the water pump and spraying onto the pipe not water coming out of the pipe (thank God) thank you for all the suggestions and help narrowing down the (now simple) fault.

That's great.
It certainly is simpler to replace.
I would advise that you get a hose clamp pliers to make the job easier (as well as a replacement pump and coolant).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom