Browser Change feedback please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Hi All

As some of you will have seen I have problems posting and cannot post in a thread unless I have started it. Having tried everything and even with the mods and staffs help(thanks guys) I am still strugging, therefore this evening I'm going to install an alternative browser to IE on one of my machines at home. Now I have to admit I have never used anything other than IE. The 2 suggested so far are Firefox and Opera I would welcome any comment on the functionality ease of use of either or any other alternatives people may have.

Hopefully after this normal posting will resume.

Thanks for the help

best regards
Ian

Firefox comes recommended. Could try google chrome too but the interface may be a bit alien to you to begin with.

What version of IE are you using on the affected PC's. would it be IE8 by chance?

Firefox comes recommended. Could try google chrome too but the interface may be a bit alien to you to begin with.

What version of IE are you using on the affected PC's. would it be IE8 by chance?

Must admit Firefox was the first that came into my head when Mark suggested the swap.

2 of them are on IE8 but my laptop and work machine are on IE7, common denominator is IE though.

Just tried to post on the W208 door bracket thread but still the sam e problem, as soon as I hit the submit reply button it kicks me out and takes me back to the log on screen, this is really weird.

IE 8 has a load of security stuff built in which I've often had problems with.

Humour me by trying this on an IE8 PC briefly as a test.

In IE8 go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security -> Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks

and disable the memory protection feature to see if things change.

Firefox! Miles better than IE, give it a go and quite similar as well so new interface shouldnt be a problem...

I'm using Safari, no problems. Nice and responsive :)

Last edited:
I use safari sometimes on my mac but also have Firefox as well. Which i probably use a bit more

Been using Firefox for years now, tried Safari for a while (son is a Mac freak) but quickly returned to Firefox. Occasionally have to use IE (I think windows update uses it and plays up in Firefox, but am not sure). So, +4 (self, wife, daughter and (her) boyfriend) for Firefox.

IE 8 has a load of security stuff built in which I've often had problems with.

Humour me by trying this on an IE8 PC briefly as a test.

In IE8 go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security -> Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks

and disable the memory protection feature to see if things change.

Will try it tonight on our home machine on IE8, thanks for the help Sp!ke its very much appreciated. Will let you know.

Another vote for Firefox

Just found out I can still PM from clicking the name on threads as just PM'd NickyB on his door checkstrap problem and he received it and replied no problem.

You dont have to change browsers - just add more of them :)

I use Opera on a day to day basis because it has always been very very quick to load pages, and though Firefox was intially fast it too is becoming slightly "bloatwareish"

Very occasionally I get a site that doesnt like Opera (mainly Microsoft) and I keep Firefox loaded for that reason. I wouldnt use IE again if you paid me to!
Most malware is aimed at IE and there are thousands of people out there who spend all day just trying to hack/crack/exploit MS software - so why be a victim?

It would be very easy to load both and decide which one you prefer after a couple of days - neither browser is a real estate hog

Mark

You dont have to change browsers - just add more of them :)

I use Opera on a day to day basis because it has always been very very quick to load pages, and though Firefox was intially fast it too is becoming slightly "bloatwareish"

Very occasionally I get a site that doesnt like Opera (mainly Microsoft) and I keep Firefox loaded for that reason. I wouldnt use IE again if you paid me to!
Most malware is aimed at IE and there are thousands of people out there who spend all day just trying to hack/crack/exploit MS software - so why be a victim?

It would be very easy to load both and decide which one you prefer after a couple of days - neither browser is a real estate hog

Mark

Thanks Mark much apprciated, think in that case I'll load up Firefox and Opera and see how I go.

Google Chrome, by far the easist, fastest and simplist browser I have used.

Loads of great features such as using the URL bar as the search bar, built in spell checker, completely customiseable.

I have never really liked Firefox, never seemed polished enough...

Never had any problems with IE7 at home or work :dk:

It didn't coincide with the MBClub sticker appearing in the bottom right of your screen did it?

Firefox plus AVG free was getting very slow so I swapped back to IE8 which so far has been a lot better. Not that this helps..

What AV software are you using, a load of networking issues we've had can be traced to an expired and seemingly irreversably embedded Norton install..

Ade

It didn't coincide with the MBClub sticker appearing in the bottom right of your screen did it?

Actually yes it did, but everyone else seems OK with it on IE7 or 8. I can also post on the other forums I use without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom