Browser software: Firefox hesitation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roger Jones

Has anyone found a solution to the problem of Firefox (3.0.11) hesitating for seconds before responding to mouse clicks? I've searched the Web and can find nothing but frustrated users and one or two reports of "no solution". Windows XP SP2 firewall is on and there is no interference from a virus checker.

Secondly, rant: an increasing number of companies are closing their e-mail channels of support, pre-order information, etc., and directing you to useless FAQ pages or other pages with inadequate options that don't accommodate your specific needs. I could scream.

Last edited:
I used to use IE 7, but found it was rather slow.
So I switched to Firefox.
I was then tired of Firefox becoming slower with each update.
So I then switched to Chrome.
I was tired of Chrome not dispaying web pages correctly and pages hanging
I've now switched to IE 8 and it's the best so far.
I think I'll wait for Chrome to become more mature before switching back to that.

No problems here either...

I can't remember which version of firefox I'm running at home (although it tells me it's updated every so often) it is literally DEAD for the first 10 second after it's been opened. I assumed this was a check for updates or something but it is a little annoying. At least it's consistent so I just leave it for a few seconds before doing anything!

Once it's working it's working! :)

On start-up Firefox checks for new versions, checks for add-on updates and refreshes bookmark toolbar content. Lots of toolbar entries can take a while...

There have been a few problems with Firefox updates causing issues when there are lots of add-ons loaded (lots of the add-ons are coded by non-experts!).

Often the speed can be regained by clean-installing the latest Firefox and then re-installing the add-ons....having carefully reviewed which add-ons you actually need/use/want.

Often the speed can be regained by clean-installing the latest Firefox and then re-installing the add-ons....having carefully reviewed which add-ons you actually need/use/want.
AFAIK I only have one add-on which is a popular ad-blocker but I suppose a full remove/add might improve performance.

Actually a full remove/add of all the software / OS and hardware is the current goal! ;)

I used to use IE 7, but found it was rather slow.
So I switched to Firefox.
I was then tired of Firefox becoming slower with each update.
So I then switched to Chrome.
I was tired of Chrome not dispaying web pages correctly and pages hanging
I've now switched to IE 8 and it's the best so far.
I think I'll wait for Chrome to become more mature before switching back to that.

Opera is very good and, allegedly, is the fastest.

I quite like safari for windows............stands back to avoid the flak..:D

i use flock and i find it quite quick and more reliable than mozilla at least with flock if you delete bookmarks it doesn't reappear on next start up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom