Browsing cars at dealerships - what a difference.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
My wife has finally decided to part with her W169 and we've been to various dealerships to look at new cars. The difference in the way dealerships cater with the aftermath of Covid 19 has been an eye opener.
Two weeks ago - Renault - the day we went there it was very quiet and apart from the odd bottle of sanitiser we were free to sit in any car we wanted.
Last Monday - VW dealership - One way in and supposedly one way out plus sanitise on the way in. Took a T-Roc for an unaccompanied test drive and sat in another in the showroom.
From VW to my local MB dealership to have a look at an A class. Walked into reception and told politely that it was appointments only and hadn't I seen the big sign on the way in stating that.
50 metres away another VW dealership - same as the other one, sanitise on the way in and free to wander around as we wanted.
Last Tuesday- Nissan dealership - sanitise on the way in and free to browse - took an unaccompanied test drive in a Nissan Juke and another look around the showroom.

In none of the dealerships we went into there was no sign of anybody making any effort to sanitise any of the cars we'd been in ??

Needless to say she didn't go for the "A" class.

Nissan juke, A class, renault to t-roc.

so what are you looking for?

Something to replace the W169. She'd had a few clios in the past but after the 169, interior quality of the Renault didn't impress.
She's always liked the T Rock but the seat wasn't very comfortable for her, the interior quality was even worse than the Clio.
I was pushing her to have a look at the new A class , a few good deals on nearly new cars at the moment.
Nissan Juke - very comfortable seating , well impressed with the interior quality , looks great in white with black roof but the 3 cylinder engine was a bit weedy.
Settled on the Juke - top spec Tekna + on PCH £206 / month. Bargain.

I know someone who got a brand new quashkia for about 100 quid a month!

Yep MB dealers seem to take these times very seriously, perhaps overly done? Went into local MB dealer for a part. Had to go to main reception and ask the girl, who told me to sit in the waiting area and she would get someone from parts out. Parts guy walks the length of dealership to ask what I wanted. He walks back and then comes back with parts diagram. I point out what I want, he walks back. Comes back for confirmation and walks back. Comes back again and tells me no stock and would have to order. Comes back and says will have to back order -ok. Prints out order and comes back with card machine and then walks back. I leave as someone else comes out to wipe down where I was sitting. The ridiculous thing is that parts counter (already fitted with a screen) is a couple of meters from a side door which I always use. So it would have been much safer for me to use the side door walk 2 meters and stand in front of the screen to complete the order than having customers and staff walk around the dealership. Sometimes logic has become irrelevant in these times.

An interesting viewpoint. For me, I'd be more likely to buy from a dealership that demonstrates a policy of care. Yes, it's inconvenient for everyone, but we're not out of the woods yet.

I went to my local Mercedes dealer at Coventry a short while ago, I only wanted a small part. One way in and reception had large screen and masked up, nice bottle of sanitiser on entry and sign saying please use a mask, everything neat and with high level of protection in place.
But on the way out this guy just walks in arrogantly straight towards me, had no intention of moving aside and no mask, quickly followed by his wife also not wearing a mask.
Went to Toolstation last week, this builder bloke walked in behind me, the guy on the counter politely asks him to put on a mask please, builder bloke replies " I though we had done with all this shit "
This is what we still have to put up with.

I know someone who got a brand new quashkia for about 100 quid a month!
Yesterday a friend showed me his brand new Jaguar i-Pace HSE that he got for about half price! It was a deal through work (international bank advisors) that he couldn't resist. It's a lovely looking car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom