Bruce Millar award Benz On The Green 2020 - your thoughts/suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
Hi Everyone,

This year we would like to remember Bruce by having an award dedicated to him. Bruce was a well known and popular member of the forum and an avid supporter of Benz On the Green.

We have a few ideas here but wonder if we could have some input into what type of award you think would remember Bruce best. We already have a best in show/druk award for the best modification/best classic/cleanest car.

Answers on a postcard please :)

And no Boon, it wont be loudest car!

I didn't meet Bruce in person, but when I witnessed how clean, tidy, inviting and well put together his boot space was at Benz on the Green I was immensely impressed. How about an award for best put together boot space or best use of a boot space?

Maybe not the best suggestion as it could be limited to Estate cars :dk: but it's a start.

2694a80f25275cd0e4c0b8d9267a2f63.jpg

Maybe contact Bruce's daughter Molly and ask if the family have any ideas for something that would remember Bruce best.

Reactions: LTD
Maybe contact Bruce's daughter Molly and ask if the family have any ideas for something that would remember Bruce best.

Good idea. I did message Molly on Facebook after she lost her dad but she never saw the message. I suspect it went into the silly 'others' folder on Facebook so she may not even know its there.

Natacha

Most inappropriate use of colour coding? :D

Best Classic Car? Anything over 25 years old maybe?

My impression of Bruce was that while he appreciated good engineering he also had a liking for the unusual or unique in cars. So my suggestion would be for the "Memorable Mercedes of the day --- might not be in the best nick, but one which people will remember for its unfeasible amount of power/ weird paint job/rarity/ how totally wrecked it was/ driver getup-costume- theme on the day -----anything that made it stand out in the crowd. By loosely defining the criteria hopefully the award would be different every year?

I had the pleasure of a personal run through of what he had done to that W124,it had spent much of its life carting old engines and gearboxes about,it was saturated in oil,Bruce even attempted to explain the W124 front suspension to me,much of it passed me by,but you were enthralled by his explaination of just what he had to do,it is no easy task to decide what a Bruce Millar award should be for,I think maybe the best restoration project,which may not be awarded every year.

Natacha:I've sent Molly a message and told her to get in touch with you if they have any suggestions

I never really had the pleasure of getting to know Bruce but was an avid follower of his threads when they appeared on and off through the years and one thing that strikes me was his (and forgive me if this doesn't come out right) kaleidoscope of originality and detail from the Red Pajero ( red flaked wheels if I remember) to the infamous petrol can for the w124 he loved looking for that final finishing touch.

My suggestions are "The best finishing touch" award or "Most originality" what ever form it comes in.

Either that or most Halfords receipts the one thing we shared was the inability to resist a Halfords professional tool lol I have three 3/8" sockets sets one at home, one in the car and one at work :confused:

I'm smiling writing this because one of his posts helped me the other day in my search for a switched live because his thread abruptly ended with....

"I think I will poke through the firewall under/behind the front fuse box. I can get a nice switched live there. Many thanks."

After reading that I went straight out and started removing the trim under the steering wheel to get my switched live, it's comforting to know we all share the same problems when it comes to cars.

I thought it would already exist but maybe renaming it the Bruce Millar Classic Car Award if you can't find a suitable new category. I only thought it would be approriate because of his W124

We had this discussion yesterday. Best Classic would have been ideal to remember Bruce due to the originality of his 124. I have already ordered the trophy but I may be able to call them and rearrange. Good thinking!

I was like so many on the forum, i never met Bruce .But one day i had a phone call from Bruce .From then on we had phone conversation on and off about Mercedes W124 and Bruce helped me so many times to get the fix i needed .
Bruce was a perfectionist with his cars,and he also had the best tool kit i have ever seen in my life .
May be an award like -- Bruce Millar helped to pave the way so others could follow ..in his steps

I met and spoke to Bruce over the years and the lad couldn’t half rabbit given a chance but underneath that was a thoughtful and decent man who would help anyone out without giving it a second thought and the world is a poorer place for his absence.

Don’t know if anyone of that helps you with naming an award but I just felt like saying it!

I met and spoke to Bruce over the years and the lad couldn’t half rabbit given a chance but underneath that was a thoughtful and decent man who would help anyone out without giving it a second thought and the world is a poorer place for his absence.

Don’t know if anyone of that helps you with naming an award but I just felt like saying it!

lee

Thank you for that, in return I also think the same of your good self.

Something to do with tinkering and tools, Bruce was a man for his tools of many colours.

Or something completely unrelated, I do miss the amusing posts where he would post about some strange encounter or experience he had recently had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom