Bruntingthorpe on a hot day...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
Scumbag in his SLK55 AMG doing his bit for england flag testing:
SLK.JPG

And at 164mph:
VMax12-48.jpg

MarkB going for it:
VMax12-01.jpg

Me and Scumbag awaiting the start :
http://www.picturehosting.org/images/tertius/start4ph.jpg

A great day had by all, DVD to follow :bannana: :D :D

No comment on the flags :) (Looks like he lost one at 164mph !!) but I wish I had been doing that today, rather than what I was doing !!

Look forward to the DVD !!

What speed does yours hit these days M ?

S.

I wonder how much faster Scumbag would have gone if he'd removed the unmentionable accessories before the start of his run. :)

the flag came off at 130ish.

the big huge CL65 just couldnt get away from me!!!! hahahahaha.

if i remember right it topped out around 166mph ish.

Maff, well done for the pictures.

some pics taken off the video footage.

262kph.jpg

slinkyflag1.jpg

slinkflag2.jpg

slinkyvzaudi1.jpg

slinkyvzaudi2.jpg

slubkyvzaudi3.jpg

slinkyvzaudi4.jpg

slinkyvzaudi5.jpg

What was the difference in max speed for the run with the hood down?

best roof up was 163 i think, roof down it was 158mph.

MarkB had similar reduction in his roof up and down too.

But when I was up against Maffs, we did 2 runs, one with it up and one with it down. when it was up the inital acceleration was on a par with Maffs but when we had it down it was a tad slower.

He did his best to escape my clutches on the twisty stuff too. and failed!

In those pictures i put up. the Audi had 420bhp, which is 20 more than i have. I spoke to the driver and he was shocked at my acceleration but done the runway he was getting 172mph. The SLK's acceleration is very good off the line but it doesnt have the power at the higher end. And the Audi can carry 4 too.

It did show up a non modifed Porscherturbo up to 80 on one run. and it kept up with a modifed porker turbo to around 50mph on another run. in both cases i was shocked as I expected to be totally destroyed off the line by both. and they were both going for it. On if these cars had a video on me so i hope we can find it. The porsches just keep on accelerating. Very impressive.

A non modifed Subaru made an effort on one run agaisnt me too. but lets just say he wont be telling his mates.

It was a good day 2.

Went in a Golf R32 and was very impressed with its performance.

to really judge it, i need to see Maffs car when it works right alongside mine.

If i find a suitable road, i will rig up the camera to show the other side of the speedo so i can get an idea of its 0-60 time.

stole this

192 drhildr - RUF GT2 Nardo
191 markbe - SL600 Kleemann (184 roof down)
189 rods - 996TT DMS/Andy Fearns
184 Leon S - 993 RUF Turbo
183 r1_jon - GT2
183 derestrictor - 993TT Earl of Bolton Spec.
183 Dazren - 996TT X50 (Driven by Derestrictor)
183 MOD500 - 993TT RS Tuning
182 bluesatin - 996T X50 with aerokit
178 superlightr - 996TT
176 JonS - AM DB9
176 Nastywej - Gallardo Spyder (roof down, not maxing it)
173 Dave T - Audi S4 modified
173 gwp - 996TT cab (164 roof down)
167 Davidbut - F360 spider
167 Alex K - 993TT
166 maff - CL65 AMG (engine problems, already at dealers)
166 Alex K? - F355 Berlinetta
164 maff mate 1 - SLK55 AMG
158 Outnumbered - E46 M3
156 Simonprelude - NSX 3.2
156 Trackdemon - NSX 3.0
156 iaint - rx-7 turbo
154 markxw - 996 C4
153 Gazboy - Supra TT
153 m3>535D - 535D
152 Nastywej - Z4M (Alex driving)
150 tertius - 993 C2
150 badapple - Z3M (driven by Davey S2)
144 Burriana - 3.2 Carrera (144, 144, every bloody time, 144!)
140 Oggs - TVR Chim400
140 GregE240 - Lexus LS430 (mobile refrigerator)
139 Davey S2 - Lotus Exige S2
136 maff mate 2 - Golf R32
135 mechsympathy - Imprezza Estate
123 Neil_Cardiff - mk3 Golf GTi 16v (after extensive testing, folding the seats down does NOT help)

scumbag said:
stole this
183 derestrictor - 993TT Earl of Bolton Spec.
183 Dazren - 996TT X50 (Driven by Derestrictor)

Would that be the Derestrictor of entirely verbose and highly amusing PistonHeads postings fame?

That would be him - dreadful little man. And a good mate of mine!

Lexus went well at 140, with aircon on and seats in full cooling, massaging flow. Only did 2 runs as it was rather popular for people to get in and cool off a bit.

Poor old '65! :eek:

Scumbag,
I am sure you have already said this before but can i ask just what mods have you done to the SLK to get 400 horses under the hood?

Cheers
Dan

DMS Automotive ECU remap. gives 560nm too.

exactly the same as the new SLK special series hard top thats out this month.

Ah right i saw your post saying 399BHP and was just wondering thats all i noticed with R2D2's piece of kit you got 273 and has he pointed out you would really have to be moving to get a true HP reading have you had the car dyno tested as i find 40BHP from the ECU a very large increase when BRABUS have to increase engine displacement to get to 445 and the performance kit they make only gives 390 and RENNtech's ECU only adds 10BHP the special series SLK has much for than just a modified ECU and if AMG cant do it just using the ECU then it must be next to impossible for others i mean they make the thing for gods sake

If the car really is producing 399BHP then i will give DMS a call as i was planning on getting RENN's performance 2 pack that consists of a carbon airbox and stainless steel headers plus the ECU for about 402 BHP but it costs about £7,500 so personally i think DMS is taking the pi$$

I just want to say that i am not looking for an argument at all and if your car does produce what they say then good on ya but i just want to talk in cold hard facts bacuse 40BHP is a lot

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:
at some point when i get the time, it will be going on their own rolling road.

so we should have a better idea.

AMG can get 485BHP out of this engine without blowing it up. Whether its drivable or not I dont know. but apparently thats what its capable of.

The owners partner has a SLK AMG and thats that car they did the work on. But their rolling road will at least point us in the right direction. Mind you, one way to look at it is, if they dont get what they say, they will be giving me my money back. Will let you know but it may be October before i get on it.

Last edited:
scumbag said:
Mind you, one way to look at it is, if they dont get what they say, they will be giving me my money back.

Is that sort of like they did for GrahamC230K??

yes, if it didnt do anything like they said it should.

it took off the limiter as i have tested that bit. it increased the 0-60 too. by some research, something weighing around 1500kg with around 400bhp -/+ 5bhp would have acceleration of about 4.5 secs. the test we did would put us in that bracket too with one person on board.

so they wont be far out, and with the test we did the other day, I was not happy with what we did to get that figure, so even though it may read as accurate, i would need to test it on private ground to get a reading that i would be happy with. I could easily have over estimated the weight which would decrease the value we got. We had far too much wheel spin in 1st and 2nd and the ESP knockout some power for me.

And I just remembered that we entered the value in pounds, so it would give us the value in BHP and I have my figures for the car quote in PS. that may infludince the results too.

And for DAN. check your cars engine for oil leaks on the top cover. Mine developed one last week. Mercedes came out to it today and the 2 nuts near the filler point and diagonally opposite on the other engine bank by the transmission dipstick point, 3 nuts were loose. one of which was a full turn loose. He tighten them up and checked the others with the torque thingy. The leak started at around 6250miles. It was fresh oil and cleaned up easily.

no leaks after a hard drive today. so it didnt need to go in. It was a seep and not a pressured spray.

Mercedes attention to detail strikes again.:(

scumbag said:
at some point when i get the time, it will be going on their own rolling road.

so we should have a better idea.

AMG can get 485BHP out of this engine without blowing it up. Whether its drivable or not I dont know. but apparently thats what its capable of.

The owners partner has a SLK AMG and thats that car they did the work on. But their rolling road will at least point us in the right direction. Mind you, one way to look at it is, if they dont get what they say, they will be giving me my money back. Will let you know but it may be October before i get on it.

Thanks for the reply i would just like to say again that this is in no way a dig at you whatsoever.

I am sure AMG can get 485 out of the engine but they are its designers and you can bet there are not many shared components between the test model that they must have used to get that figure and the engines in our cars just for the 400BHP model components have had to be changed not just given new SW.

I think i will go ahead with the RENNtech solution but i look forward to your report of the dyno experience i just think that if these people say pay us say £500 and will give you 5 BHP more and say 10Nm extra torque but we could also reduce the cars output in other parts of the powerband they would not be in business so they have to be creative and 40BHP is a nice figure and is something that anybody would pay money for.

Also warranty most big tuners give you a warranty just like factory so anything that is voided by Benz because of the upgrades is covered by them do the people you went to i know some of the smaller ones do but i am not sure about DMS also these claims of it being invisible are not true but that is something everybody knows about, the car knows every time a computer is connected to it and the SDS machine lights up like a christmas tree when Merc plug it in and SW has been changed they can then check its version and if its not Merc SW void the warranty even if the SW has been flashed back to original the ECU has the recode stored in it.

Anyways i wish you the best of luck with your car and hope you get many years of fun from the thing also just how much does the re flash cost?

Thanks very much for your reply i look forward to hearing your response to this message and also to your dyno report i hope you get close to the quoted figure and make sure the dyno mode is turned on and they keep it cool i have seen many a melted SL i think the SLK is a bit better however but i don't know how much.

By the way Merc always underestimate the 0-60 times the car will do it in about 4.5secs anyways my mate has recorded time of 4.4 on 98RON obviously i will see if i can get the time slip from him thank you very much about the oil warning i cant say i have noticed any but i will remember to check and i am pleased Merc fixed it for you as you say attention to detail is non existent that could have been real nasty if it was under pressure

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom