"Brutus" the e55k Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been under there a few evenings now, And Brutus is starting to look fresh.

I've taken the under floor plastics off cleaned and treated them, Whilst they were off i rubbed down sill lips and painted those and around the jacking points and chassis rails, also painting the brake pipes on the way.

I've also got 4x new lower arms which i will be replacing at the weekend along with new concentric bolts and making note of the camber and caster settings.

View attachment 60351

View attachment 60352

View attachment 60353

Few more pics to follow

Good work, wish i had your time, energy and enthusiasm for restoration of the underside... dont have time to clean it. :thumb:

Camber settings

Hope this comes out ok may be of use, if not i can email it to anyone who wants a copy.

rust7.jpg

Good work, wish i had your time, energy and enthusiasm for restoration of the underside... dont have time to clean it. :thumb:

Many thanks for the kids word sir :thumb: It's nice and quiet in the Garage gives me a break from the kids lol :D

Switch pack and Arms!

Well what a week i've been having with Brutus.

After the clean up underneath, my new centre console switch pack arrived from Germany £168 later and all was working Yippee.

I've also replaced all the lower wishbones and got her tracking sorted so now drive lovely.

Engine sounds soo so sweet after the oil and filter change too.

I did make one small School boy error, I managed to damage the Osf level control when changing said arms, But ive repaired this and am awaiting a new unit Tuesday from my supplier.:doh:

What a machine, she's really come on well and i'm looking forward to getting some miles in. :devil:

P1010065.jpg

P1010070.jpg

Last edited:
V8 Kompressor looks sexier than the 55 replica of the 63 badge on the wings. Just saying!

Nice effort and what an absolutely amazing colour!

V8 Kompressor looks sexier than the 55 replica of the 63 badge on the wings. Just saying!

Nice effort and what an absolutely amazing colour!

100% agreed with that, V8 Kompressor badges will be the next exterior item, along with proper sized wheels.:D

I'm going to have to let my Bank balance recover somewhat though for the time being :crazy:

Looking really nice and testament to your efforts. Agree with Alx prefer standard badges or none at all.

Could you pm me the details of the camber bolts you fitted. I want to dial out half a degree probably expecting too much just from bolts but worth a look.

Looking really nice and testament to your efforts. Agree with Alx prefer standard badges or none at all.

Could you pm me the details of the camber bolts you fitted. I want to dial out half a degree probably expecting too much just from bolts but worth a look.

They are febi 21560

21560.jpg:thumb:

Camberbolts.jpg

Hope this helps Peeps, I set mine to std as thats what the bolts were at when i removed them, The bolts went between those central lugs.

Well just finished doing a Supercharger oil change, Well worth doing Imho Old on the left new on the right! Fill to spill.

super1.jpg

super2.jpg:rock:

Mileage just for the record 108,200 and getting 23mpg lol

How much do you think it has cost you to bring the car up to its present condition Gav?

Are you doing longish journeys?, because my average is nowhere near 23mpg and I don't hammer it.

How much do you think it has cost you to bring the car up to its present condition Gav?

Are you doing longish journeys?, because my average is nowhere near 23mpg and I don't hammer it.

Well it's a little easier for me cost wise, As most of the parts are through my Motor parts business.

The most expensive part was the Wabco/Arnott Suspension pump at £180+ vat

At cost i've Spent around £600 and favour's owed to me by traders, inc diagnostic which pointed me towards the issue with the centre console. Retail i reckon id have been looking at a bill of around £1,500 plus labour. I've done 90% of the work myself.

I got the car for 9.5k so considering she has Fsh, and a mileage of 107 when i got her £10,100 is about right id say. She is very clean and the panels are really original and straight.

Yes tbf most of my Trips are at least 40 + miles, All the local running about i use my Van or Cycle lol as Yes i'm one of those Mamil lol

Last edited:
Great work and the car is looking superb, this is a cracking thread for current and future owners to pick info from.

Out of interest and a very long shot, but is there anything in the history that suggest this car once had a Russian owner? About 7-8 years ago I nearly viewed an E55 that was black with a blue / green hue, stunning car, lowish miles at the time but similar spec to yours.

Jules

You'll best get it on a hunter machine for camber, even if you marked the bolts etc. It will need it & for the sake of £70 you'll have the handling spot on, not to mention the money saved on tyres wearing out prematurely.
I did my arms & had it set up right away, when its set up properly from a car that has not been it makes it feel as though the car is lighter going in & out of bends etc. Strange about the sump bolts, maybe they were not changed each time, mine were probabaly only changed each time as it was on the Mercedes " We'll fleece you each time" service plan for the ist 11 yrs lol. ?

It's been on a Proper machine which highlighted what needs doing, it was within tolerance but i will address it once i know what im doing with the wheels or tyres or both as there both incorrect for the car. :/

Great work and the car is looking superb, this is a cracking thread for current and future owners to pick info from.

Out of interest and a very long shot, but is there anything in the history that suggest this car once had a Russian owner? About 7-8 years ago I nearly viewed an E55 that was black with a blue / green hue, stunning car, lowish miles at the time but similar spec to yours.

Jules

Thanks for the kind words Jules, Do you remember the reg number as i've got a list of all the previous reg number's the car has had and 3 names of previous owners.

New lease of life??

Got around to doing the spark plugs yesturday, and WOW what a difference! It's like she been given another 100 hp lol.

Came across this one on me travel's spot the difference, Took me around 2 and half hours but i did do a little cleaning whilst i was in there ;)

They were all Genuine MB made by NGK and all apart from the one that wasn't firing correctly had a nice clean burn, last time they were done was at 76k, Brutus is now on 108k.

I replaced them with Bosch equivalents.

Attachments

• PLUG.jpg
    PLUG.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom