"Brutus" the e55k Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Well after my long long search and boring you guys n guls, lol I picked up this Melanite black colour code 185u.

Tbf it won me over as soon as i saw it, The colour is just fantastic, Looks green with the sun directly on it.

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

Totally love it and the Power delivery of it is soo smooth it reminds me of my TL1000r superbike i had:devil:

Anycase as most of you know it's suffereing from a intermitant Airmatic fault, She doesn't loose air whilst stood over night but now and again the Airmatic warning "Visit workshop" will pop up. I've tested the Valve block and it doesn't seem tobe leaking, BUt the compressor does sound a little iffy so i'm going to try a Piston rebuild kit and go from there.

My 8 year old has named it "Brutus" hence the title of this Project thread lol ;)

Brutus 1st Exterior detail,

What with the evenings getting dark, ive been lacking on some decent exterior pic's.

Anycase here's the 1st exterior detail i carried out, Machine polish followed by a Megs Gold class paste wax.

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10236-detail1.jpg

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10237-detail3.jpg

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10238-detail2.jpg

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10240-detail5.jpg

Looks a beast nice one . Love the name your 8 year old has named it lol. Does it have e63 mods on it. Looks black in photos.

Didn't see the second set of pics. Liking the 5.5 amg badging. Exhaust looks different/bigger in the first photo.

Looks a beast nice one . Love the name your 8 year old has named it lol. Does it have e63 mods on it. Looks black in photos.

Not sure on the Manifolds tbh i dont know what standard/moded ones look like? She has a Secondary De-cat, and a custom exhaust back with only 2 muffler's it sounds very loud. Not quite as nice as JohnEboys 211 was but very close.

I love the sound and so do the kids but the wife is unsure pmsl

It's been Mapped by the previous owner, And the Gearbox tcu has also been done, She has had the Rpm limits raised, and the shift of the gears is quite quick for one of these. She has also been de restricted "i've been told" Certainly feels like it will just carry on and on also been lowered on links which im not totally convinced is a good idea.

Power i was told 560bhp and 616ft kbs/835nms again i've absoluty no proof so dont know, and having never drivin a standard car i cant really compare. What i can say is it really does go well, and sounds like a Machine gun on boost lol.:D

Its had a 83mm pulley "from memory" and Charger Belt kit.

Last edited:
Interior detail of Brutus

Took the car to work today and gave the interior some love, Armorall leather cleaner and conditioner, and did the dash plastics, Also fitted and pair of new Number plate surrounds.

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10231-brutus3.jpg

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10232-brutus4.jpg

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10233-brutus5.jpg

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10234-brutus1.jpg

Looks beautiful Gav, glad you got sorted in the end. Enjoy it!

Looks fab pal, got there in the end:thumb: not sure about those 5.5 fender badges, i know they are aftermarket as MB did not produce, I did ponder getting them for my old E55K but decided against in the end...

One easy tip (if not already done) is getting the LED light kit (sides,rear plate), got mine from Karl (killerhertz) made it look good in the dark....

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words DSB, :) The previous owner has fitted all the lights with LED's like you say it really does look ace in the evening :) , Yes i'm going to get a Pair of Original v8 Kompressor badges for it, but all in good time.

Want to get the suspension sorted, and once happy that everythings as it should be then turn my attention to the details ;)

Well after my long long search and boring you guys n guls, lol I picked up this Melanite black colour code 185u.

Tbf it won me over as soon as i saw it, The colour is just fantastic, Looks green with the sun directly on it.

Totally love it and the Power delivery of it is soo smooth it reminds me of my TL1000r superbike i had:devil:

Anycase as most of you know it's suffereing from a intermitant Airmatic fault, She doesn't loose air whilst stood over night but now and again the Airmatic warning "Visit workshop" will pop up. I've tested the Valve block and it doesn't seem tobe leaking, BUt the compressor does sound a little iffy so i'm going to try a Piston rebuild kit and go from there.

My 8 year old has named it "Brutus" hence the title of this Project thread lol ;)

Gav pick another nickname coz I named my E55 Brutus too!

That's a really lovely looking thing. I'm guessing the mods were done before the previous owner had it? It would be interesting to find out who modded it.

PS Have you looked in all the nooks and crannies for the original badges, like in the spare wheel compartment? Maybe they kept them...

PS Have you looked in all the nooks and crannies for the original badges, like in the spare wheel compartment? Maybe they kept them...

Yes been all the way through it the interior, What i did manage to save is the Bonnet Rubbers so once ive detail the bay these will be going back on.

Removed for extra cooling i was told? car doesn't get hot at all in traffic and it looks untidy without.

Here's a pic of the bay as it is. Its well very dirty, But in a good way.

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10243-mbeng1.jpg

Cant believe its got its original Aux battery still!! so that will be changed very soon!

Found orginal Spec from the add

83mm pulley
Belt wrap kit
Drop in filters
X pipe
Secondary cats deleted
Custom air intake scoops behind grill
Gearbox TCU uprated
Remapped to suit and de-limited
Lowered on links
9.5x19 bbs ch alloys
15mm spacers
Jade black (green flick in sun)
Johnson cm30 water pump
Color coded grill and flat bonnet badge

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10243-mbeng1.jpg

Pour (carefully) some Fairy & water liquid over the rear and front strut mounts and leave sitting overnight. Check in the morning for any air bubbles. This will tell you if the pressure fittings are leaking.

Well this is the seal kit, Wish me luck!!

merc85-albums-brutus-picture10244-mbseal.jpg

It was from X8R 01843 446643

Lovely car. You know if you use that name you have to modify the exhaust so you can cook sausages with it

[YOUTUBE]2pcRRk0msas[/YOUTUBE]

Only just seen this, congrats Gav she looks real nice. Good to see the old girl getting some decent attention, think she will be tip top in no time.

Gav pick another nickname coz I named my E55 Brutus too!

Yours is called Bruno's :thumb:

Merc85, you need to update your car sig and picture :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom