"Brutus" the e55k Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
merc85-albums-intercooler-install-picture10427-brutal4.jpg

merc85-albums-intercooler-install-picture10428-brutal5.jpg

merc85-albums-intercooler-install-picture10429-brutal6.jpg

And you see the car does get driven lolol:D

That looks low, do you have lowering links fitted ?

That looks low, do you have lowering links fitted ?
....great thread this and a fab read...just reinforces my opinion...if u want a period car get one that has never been tampered with or upgraded... strait out of the factory whether it be a c180 or s63...I think of the money it can cost to upgrade,replace bits and bobs ,wheels,exhausts,remaps etc.. for example why buy a c180 to try and get c350 performance and spec....??!!...the money that some people must lavish on their cars.. would have been better buying what they wanted in the first place....the above not to be confused with buying an old dog/wreck of a car to completely restore as it was the day it left the factory as I used to do with minis.......foxy52

Gav this thread gives me a semi :D

Think the CLS would love a big cooler !

....great thread this and a fab read...just reinforces my opinion...if u want a period car get one that has never been tampered with or upgraded... strait out of the factory whether it be a c180 or s63...I think of the money it can cost to upgrade,replace bits and bobs ,wheels,exhausts,remaps etc.. for example why buy a c180 to try and get c350 performance and spec....??!!...the money that some people must lavish on their cars.. would have been better buying what they wanted in the first place....the above not to be confused with buying an old dog/wreck of a car to completely restore as it was the day it left the factory as I used to do with minis.......foxy52

I enjoy messing about and modding cars, as i have done with previous Volvo t5's even down to Porting and Polishing the cylinder heads.

Yes there was stuff on Brutus that has needed doing but it was all Standard stuff that you could of had to replace on any example you bought. Eg the front Air struts for example had already been replaced on this around 3 years ago, Just because someone syays its been done doesn't always mean there telling the truth.

The one thing that worried me was the possibility of the Audio gateway playing up, But again this was just down to the Centre consul switch, so i replaced this with a brand new MB one and problem solved.

I've learnt so much more about 211's now and i know this car like the back of my hand, I also know that everything has been done and nowt left out, Brutus is now back in fine fettle just how a e55k should be imho.

I'm abit ott with my cars see my last Build with my e320 cdi. I don't regret buying Brutus one bit and it drives and go's like new.

Its immaculate underneath and the bodywork is spot on too, i looked at loads of these when i was in the market and soo many and poor body work and had simply been unloved.

I've spent around £4,500 on parts so it was nearly e63 territory price wise, but id be worried about the Headbolt issue with them and im not really that much of a fan of N/a engines, Not to mention you'd still have Airmatic to worry about.

I was told Brutus is 560hp and 835nms how true? I dont know but it only takes 4 seconds 30-80 without using kickdown so it cant be far off.

Last edited:
Gav this thread gives me a semi :D

Think the CLS would love a big cooler !

Lenny it's defiantly worth doing sir ;) Thanks again for the kind comments, i hope people get some useful information from this thread and enjoy the read. :)

I will be going to quite a few of the meets this year so would be great to show Brutus and get to meet some of the people who have helped me.

Last edited:
Lenny it's defiantly worth doing sir ;) Thanks again for the kind comments, i hope people get some useful information from this thread and enjoy the read. :)

Its very reasonably priced too !! Wonder will it fit a CLS ?

Talk me how you measured up before purchasing..

Its very reasonably priced too !! Wonder will it fit a CLS ?

Talk me how you measured up before purchasing..

I found a Mbworld thread where someone had bought a Large cooler with the same dimensions, They said it was tight and you couldnt go bigger without cutting stuff.

So i found the cooler they fitted and tbh i cant remember what make but it was quite expensive, Made a note of there diamensions, then i took the grille out fo Brutus's Lower bumper, had a measure up making a note of the thickness i had to play with more than anything as the depth is negotiable as the lower splash guard has some leeway for depth.

My core was 1" shorter than the Mbworld unit which was just aswell as it gave me the space to fit the 1/2" brass connector's to the cooler as i wanted to utilise the standard pipework. (This cooler can be totally reversed) back to standard if ever i need to, It's a Direct fit.

Then i set about trying to find a Intercooler of similar size, Which i did, It's made by Frozen Boost, They are $179 doller plus shipping. I paid around £230ish through https://www.torqen.uk/ in the uk just so i had some come back if the core went wrong.

The cooler is meant to be for a Nissan 350z lol, But just so happens is perfect for the AMG. Brass connectors were £10 inc postage off the Bay.

I did buy a 1/4 Bsp blanking plug of ebay too as the cooler comes with a Tap/drain which if used hangs abit to low at the front for my car so i didnt use this. But it could be used it's just as you see i like my car sitting low.

Just a Note, it took 1 month to come from the Usa as they are Made to order, They are heavy units and and the Welds are very nice and neat, They come with 4 attachment points, I used some perfirated metal strip with some 8mm bolts to hang the cooler from the lower slam panel support bracket, using the Mb bolts on the car which attach to the Crash bar.

Last edited:
Cool work Gav - what is the MB thread ?

Cool work Gav - what is the MB thread ?

I will try and find it buddy

Checked out the Mpg today not that it matters lol, got this

merc85-albums-intercooler-install-picture10430-mpg.jpg

I have had 29.9 before but that was in the summer

How is that mpg possible ???? I have not seen more than 26mpg

How is that mpg possible ???? I have not seen more than 26mpg

Errr by driving like a saint lol, the fuel computer is generally out by 1.5mpg as i've done this many times brim to brim basis.

My usual 22mpg is alot less boring drive :D

Auto fluid change

Thought id treat the car to a intermediate Autobox fluid change it was done 5k ago according to the receipts :rolleyes: so all we did was changed what came out when we dropped the pan.

Unfortunately what ever numpties serviced the box last over tightened the Gearbox sump pan so it was impossible to drain the oil this way as the torx 30 just wanted to round off!

I drove the car for a few miles to make sure it was all upto temp before changing the fluid.

We had to crack off the 6 retaining bolts which held the pan on and let the fluid come out this way before lowering the pan completely.

After a good clean up of the pan with brake cleaner with Blue roll and refitting the magnet back into its original position within the pan we changed the transmission fluid filter with the Febi part id bought.

Then fitted the new gearbox pan seal and torqued the pan's 6 retaining bolts to 8nms each.

Refilling was awkward as the dipstick tube is abit of a pitta to get at, After putting back in 3.5 ltrs of fresh fluid i cycled through the gears twice counting to ten in each gear selected. I then moved the car forward a few feet then in reverse.

All was good so i took it for a test drive, And even with only 3.5 ltrs of new fluid the box felt really really smooth. Gears were also selecting around 150-200rpm sooner than before the change despite the old fluid still having a tinge of RED left, I didnt smell burnt either which was a relief.

Checked for leaks and all seemed well, I've now got to purchase a New Sump pan ready for the next change which i will probably do in May.

This was the Febi part we fitted i say we because doing all this on the Garage floor was awkward so i had help from a good friend and forum member.

Part number for the 5 speed box is 10098
Part number for the 7 spd is 30157

merc85-albums-intercooler-install-picture10476-10098.jpg

Mileage now covered in Brutus is 110,100 so ive done 3k in it since ive had it.:D

Last edited:
Gav have you seen the tuned TCU's that are available on the Facebook 55K - group buy for $290 shipped. There is your next mod ;)

Gav have you seen the tuned TCU's that are available on the Facebook 55K - group buy for $290 shipped. There is your next mod ;)

My TCU has already been mapped bud:bannana:

Dyno Mode Sorted on Brutus

Ok right 1st thing is i do not take any responsibility for anyone who follows the instructions below and your car gets stuck in the mode.

Or you change settings and then cant reset it, or you go and crash your car because of what you have read below.

On the 2002 (52) w211 e55k you do the following

Temp must be displayed in the centre cluster.

Turn key to position 1

Press and Hold the Trip button in untill you hear the "BEEP" this takes around 40seconds.

Then press the bottom Sub Menu button once on the steering wheel and you will see the Chassis number and and oil level etc displayed in the centre cluster.

Then still with the key in position 1, you can scroll like normal through the menu and you will come into the "Dyno Mode" selection menu as normal. change like normal with the + and - button and start the car.

It should now be in Dyno mode.

"NOTE" on experimenting with the above i turned the key to position 2 when the Chassis number was displayed then car counted the oil level then Had a hissing fit and said Battery failure consumables unavailable!

I read the Malfunction turned car off, locked it, unlocked it did all of the above but didn't turn to position 2 then switched car off, restarted and all was good PHEW!!! lol

Have fun peeps, And now to get that Dyno sorted:devil:

I`d like a dyno too,where are taking yrs mate?

My eyes are hurting from reading 22 pages on my iPhone but totally worth it :thumb:
Awesome colour, never seen before! Fair play to you on all the hard work you've put in it's definitely paid off!!!! Hopefully this gives me inspiration lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom