BT home hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SGCW124

Car
W124 estate
Just installed Home hub from BT

fairly straightforward now I can connect my work laptop up without disconnecting the children from the PC ! happy days!

not sure what the speed will be like as it"takes a few days to settle" 7 decide on optimum speed ??

even managed to get a hub phone from them for free after complaingig about less than clear conditions when as a previous customer I upgraded.

My works laptop didnt like the BT home hub software -in that it took over the connection mamagement altogether but a manual set up getting the wireless thingy in the laptop to talk to the home hub was very easy.

'just thought I'd post something positive in case anyone is thinking about going BT home hub

Steve

Last edited:
they told me it takes 28 days to "optimize your connection" !! Now it goes from being blistering to non-existant. Be prepared for a volatile connection and you won't be disappointed. Their call centre and online help is all India based - makes for fun calls at times!:mad: We got one who did not know what "zero" was when giving a phone number as in "01....."!

And true to form - just had to reset mine - again!:D

They're psychic you know - they know when you're talking about them;)

Pammy, anyone .

Do you know how to disable the hubs wireless broadcasting , I only need wireless connectivity when I am at home with my laptop, the desktop being connected by ethernet cable. just dont like the thoughts of radio waves bouncing around needlessly, with all the other wireless things like monile phones and neightbour wireless set up ir irational i know but ...

sorry you are having ongoing issues with the home hub Pammy I' ve had to turn mine face around - the contantly flashing data & wireless lights on it are driving me crazy:rolleyes:

Steve

Steve - right click on your wireless connection icons and click disconnect ;)

thanks Pammy

I do that on my laptop and it turns off the wireless adapter in there, so thats that side of it but I want the BT home hub to stop sending wireless signals

Unless........it stops sending when there's no reciver "listening..?"

Steve

Sorry - I'm with you. The only way is to unplug it.

PS - Mine's hidden behind a curtain - coz the lights annoy me too:D :D It can come out at Christmas.

I've had BT "upto 8mb" for awhile now, and it was very unstable and kept "resynching" every so often, especially when playing online games.

I recently discovered my SNR (??) was too low, at around 6dB, and a problem was with some dodgy wiring in my home BT extensions - plugging the router directly into the internal test socket of the BT master wall socket produced a much higher and seemingly stable SNR. Repairing (re-wiring, checking connections etc) of the BT socket extensions has seen a faster speed, more stable connection - I would suggest anyone checks these on the 8mb+ service as it seems critical at those speeds to noise on the line, depending on distance from the exchange etc.

I didn't know what SNR (aka Noise Margin) was until recently, but my router manager software has a section within that details all the levels for review. This may help those with unsteady connection issues, with the faster broadband packages.

For up to 8 mb lines, master socket use is a must, an NTE 5 filtered master face plate is better, use a cat5e RJ11 to RJ11 cable from your socket to router and hope.....

If your SNR is low after whatever you have been told the settling in period is and you still have drop outs, insist BT investigate. The can turn on interleaving and take step their end to increase your SNR. You will in turn connect at lower rates and achieve a more stable connection.

@ SGC - I'm sure you can turn off the wireless on your "home hub". It will be in the config somewhere I'm sure. Not got my hands on one yet. It will always be on unless you turn it off. If it's secured which I think they are by default using WEP (not great but better than nothing for an out the box default) I really don't see a reason to keep turning it off.

I find it annoying that the HUB phone rings another 4 times after the landline is answered.

I got the home hub about a month ago, at the same time BT rewired the cabling from our home to the telegraph pole.

But I am really happy with the home hub, they had no hub phones left so they sent a pair of cordless phones (BT Studio 1000) to say sorry and hub phone will be sent sometime when they got some (really not an issue), these we have give to the kids plugged into the Internet phone port, kids are very happy as they now have their own phone and phone number.

Got to say I am very happy with the Home Hub, and Pam's right the lights are a pain and ours is now behind the telly unit on the floor.

thanks guys

just done some laptop work and the wirless connection displaying:

Wireless Network connection
Signal strength: excellent
Speed 11.0MPs

Is this speed Ok or should iIbe monotroring so I can take or encourage Bt to take action as above?

(my destop was on at the same time and is connected to the home hub with an eternet cable)

Steve

you know me fuzzer, I'm more then happy with it

SGCW124 said:
thanks guys

just done some laptop work and the wirless connection displaying:

Wireless Network connection
Signal strength: excellent
Speed 11.0MPs

Is this speed Ok or should iIbe monotroring so I can take or encourage Bt to take action as above?

(my destop was on at the same time and is connected to the home hub with an eternet cable)

Steve
I think the Speed info is just a hardware rating. Your network icon on your PC might say 100MPs.
You could try a linespeed test to see if the internet speed is different on laptop and PC.

11mbps is just your wireless connection to the router, not your adsl speed. 11mbps is way faster than your adsl line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom