BT Infinity question(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
I'm doing the research into ditching Virgin (extremely unreliable, poor customer service and expensive) and have spotted BT Infinity is coming to a cabinet near me next spring.

Would anybody here who has it recommend it?

On the BT site, it says the fibre modem must be sited next to the master phone socket. Why? Please don't tell me the last hop is grotty old twisted pair copper wire!

My wife used to work for BT and we got the full vision/broadband etc package for free.

We went through FOUR hubs in as many months because they kept packing up, the after-service was terrible, the set-up for Vision is hard to navigate.....

I've had BT Infinity for nearly a year and would recommend it. Hub has been fine, had several BT Home Hubs before that and never had a problem with them.

I remember there was something said before installation about the position of the master socket, but we have both the Infinity modem and Hub in a different room to the master socket, perhaps 6 metres away, and all works fine. I think the engineer said they just run an extension cable if there is any need to.

I've had BT Infinity for about three months. I've got the Business Infinity at my home address though. It gives me unlimited usage, priority traffic, quicker call out and other bits that I'm not too fussed about. When I placed my order it worked out same price* as residential broadband so it was a no brainer. Anyone can get business Infinity (you don't need to be a business) - Just be very very careful when they quote you as BT sales appear to have trouble understanding the difference between their bum and their elbow. It's taken me the three months to get a credit for overcharging (£10 per month more than I was quoted*) which they were extremely reluctant to do. They repeatedly tried to get me to agree to terminate the contract and go elsewhere rather than credit me.

Yes, it is old cables from the cabinet to the house but I had no issue with that.

I've had no problem with my business hub, but it's a different one to the black home hub for residential broadband. I don't know if it's any more reliable. You have a fibre modem and router (two seperate units) and they change the faceplate of the master socket. You need two sockets or an extension socket so you are able to plug the two broadband units in alongside your phone if thats also on the master.

Speed wise I am getting above what they told me to expect. Doing a wired (laptop to router) BT Speedtest I'm getting 35.6 meg download and 8 meg upload. Over wifi we can see that can halve but you don't tend to notice having been used to an average on ADSL of +/- 5 meg download at best. We can have laptops/ipods/ipad/PS3 etc all using BB at once if the family are all hammering the bb and the difference now is that there is no buffering (which we occasionally got on adsl).

It's not cheap toward ADSL / ADSL+, but did I mention - Its very quick ;).

BT have been absolutely awful to deal with in general, but hopefully I won't need to bother with them if infinity runs ok. And if I do it should be a straightforward call out.
I did have a second order to place with them for my main (manufacturing) business for fibre BB and three phone lines (so £250 ish a quarter) which I appreciate is not a large spend, but it will go anywhere but BT after the way I've been treated. I only stuck with the Infinity at home as I knew it hurt them badly issuing my credit for the duration of the contract (£288 total).

Thanks for the replies. It would seem that BT's customer service is no better than Virgin's, which is a bit of a letdown. When it works, I get 19.5Mb/s on my 20Mb/s fibre (coax from the cabinet), but Virgin's contention ratio seems to be very poor and I am forever having to reboot the modem to kick the system into life.

I'll still probably dump Virgin for BT (who have an offer encouraging just that) but I'll go in with my eyes open.

Hi
I've had BT Infinity for over 6 months never had any problems when dealing with BT.The Master socket is in the hall downstairs and the hub is in a upstairs bedroom, just done a speed check and I'm getting a download speed of 36.23 mb/s

BT Infinity rocks :rock: and I had no problem with BT and got similar speeds to those already quoted. :thumb:

Unfortunately I have moved house and no longer have it and it's not available. :mad::doh:

If you site the modem further away, potentially you might get lower speeds than you otherwise would.

It is unlikely to make a substantial difference.

Any technical woes can be tested by moving it back to the Master Socket should the need arise.

I know of one person who has it and so far so good - he's pleased with the 30 odd Mbps he gets.

BT Infinity rocks :rock: and I had no problem with BT and got similar speeds to those already quoted. :thumb:

Unfortunately I have moved house and no longer have it and it's not available. :mad::doh:

I know that feeling well - moved from a house in Bucks getting nearly 7Mbps to a house that gets 1.1Mbps.

Getting BTI (FTTC) in December this year hopefully.

If you are not in Virgin / Infinity area, you can still get around 35-37mb download with ADSL bonding using two lines, though the upload is only 4-5mb and the cost is double that of high-end ADSL (and two analogue lines). It does work well, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom