BT Infinity Smart Hub (Home Hub 6)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Anybody using one of these successfully?

I have a Hub 4 at the moment which works OK apart from the wifi sometimes struggling to cope with the endless tablets/phones that the kids and wife use.

BT sent me a new Smart Hub (Hub 6) but from a quick Google there seem to have been a steady stream of issues with the firmware. Of course you tend to see just the problems when searching online ... so is anybody here happily using a Smart Hub?

TIA :)

Not sure which mine is but it constantly throws my phone off wifi, really at my wits end with it!

Been using the HH6 for ages now without a single issue. Laptops, phones, tv, AV amp, DVD player and set-top box all connected without problem. Fast and stable connection, even at the bottom of our garden

I have been using it for the last two months,it is fast and stable,before that I was without a phone line for 1 month,and the good people next door allowed me to use their BT hub and the speed and connection was fine and we have detached houses,I have used Sky and TalkTalk before but this BT Hub is the most powerfull.

Have been having problems also with HH6, unstable, dropping out etc, done a factory reset on the Hub , so far so good for the last seven days :thumb:

I was with BT a while back and the connection kept dropping. It's much better now with Virgin, 200mb :bannana:

I have an HH6 for a few months now and it's been completely stable since I separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks onto two SSIDs. Before that the WiFi would drop out every few days.

Anybody using one of these successfully?

I have a Hub 4 at the moment which works OK apart from the wifi sometimes struggling to cope with the endless tablets/phones that the kids and wife use.

BT sent me a new Smart Hub (Hub 6) but from a quick Google there seem to have been a steady stream of issues with the firmware. Of course you tend to see just the problems when searching online ... so is anybody here happily using a Smart Hub?

TIA :)

Bill.
Did you request the 6 because your connection was bad or did they volunteer to send it? At what cost? I have a 5 on Infinity and I'm not happy with the range. Works OK if it's upstairs or if it's downstairs but won't cover both from either position. So I have a TP Link set-up but that's not really ideal.

Thanks for the feedback guys - appreciated.

Bill.
Did you request the 6 because your connection was bad or did they volunteer to send it? At what cost? I have a 5 on Infinity and I'm not happy with the range. Works OK if it's upstairs or if it's downstairs but won't cover both from either position. So I have a TP Link set-up but that's not really ideal.

I was haggling with them about renewing and basically got a Smart Hub (HH6) for the £9.99 delivery charge as well as a reduction from £29 to £26 per month for the Infinity 1 itself (and a year's caller id display for free).

We have the current HH4 downstairs and the signal is a bit marginal upstairs, funnily enough Apple devices (iPhones and iPads) seem worse ... our Android phones and Kindles mostly work OK. We do have a WiFi repeater upstairs which worked fine for about a year but is rather hit and miss now.

The BT Infinity itself has been pretty decent, reliable connection and speeds around 50 mbps most of the time which is fast enough for what we need.

I was haggling with them about renewing and basically got a Smart Hub (HH6) for the £9.99 delivery charge as well as a reduction from £29 to £26 per month for the Infinity 1 itself (and a year's caller id display for free).

We have the current HH4 downstairs and the signal is a bit marginal upstairs, funnily enough Apple devices (iPhones and iPads) seem worse ... our Android phones and Kindles mostly work OK. We do have a WiFi repeater upstairs which worked fine for about a year but is rather hit and miss now.

The BT Infinity itself has been pretty decent, reliable connection and speeds around 50 mbps most of the time which is fast enough for what we need.

This is pretty much what I'm paying including the free caller ID. I'd be interested to hear if the HH6 makes any difference to your signal upstairs. Our TP Link is great but since we have almost no cell signal I use it for wifi calling. PITA having to log in to different signals just because I move from upstairs to down.

I'll let you know what happens. When the repeater isn't working we normally have one of my step-sons sitting on the stairs all evening (where they can get a signal) :D

When the HH6 came out it seems the Access Control (restricting when individual devices can access the Internet) didn't work at all. That would have been a major problem for us as we use it heavily with the kids. Supposedly that's fixed now, it seems there have been a large number of firmware releases in the last few months.

BTB 500 said:
You can normally tell from the Wifi network name e.g. our current one is "BTHub4-....".

Ah mine is a 4 then. I've gotta say, this thread has jinxed me, since last night it has been atrocious, to the point I've disabled it on my phone. It's never been this bad

Although I've been watching Amazon prime on wifi and it's fine, even as I type the phone can't connect yet the tv is working fine

Do you think if I rang and give them an earful I'd get an upgrade? I don't mind paying if it fixes connectivity issues

Been using one fro about 2 months, bought on ebay.

No problems at all, and the range is definately better than the HH5.

Not a lot though..

Do you think if I rang and give them an earful I'd get an upgrade? I don't mind paying if it fixes connectivity issues

It's worth a try. On the BT Forums the Smart Hub comes in for some serious stick though, which is why I was asking here how people had got on. Some people are apparently on their third or fourth, with previous ones lasting only weeks (even days). I'll certainly be hanging on to my HH4 for a while, just in case.

I have an HH6 for a few months now and it's been completely stable since I separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks onto two SSIDs. Before that the WiFi would drop out every few days.

On our HH5 I disabled 5Ghz completely as it would try and hang on to 5Ghz and not switch to 2.4 as people moved away from the hub. It's worked fine since then and not seen any performance issues.

When we left BT 3 months ago after years of appalling service, both telephone and broadband. I took the two routers down to the range and used them for target practice...very satisfying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom