BT Infinity...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renault12ts

MB Club Veteran
Car
2005 W215 CL500.
...the Fibre optic service.

Has anybody got this in yet? And if yes...what's it like?

We've been offered a free upgrade by BT...seems rude not to accept.

I have had this for the past year and the service has been top notch!

~38 Mbps download (can't remember the upload speed) but it is lot better than Virgin :)

I currently have Virgin fibre (fibre to the cabinet then coax to the house) and enquired about Infinity as Virgin's service is unreliable and their customer service makes the Keystone Cops look efficient.

It turns out that Infinity is also fibre to the cabinet but only a twisted copper pair to the house. If you're a long way from the cabinet you may not get the speeds you're expecting.

The cabinet is across the road from our house...so should be fine.

I have it -can't remember the speed, but I'm happy....

I do have to occasionally restart the modem.

Depends on where you live and how far from exchange but I was happier with virgin fibre. bt infinity also limits p2p traffic at peak hours.

I was put off for aesthetic reasons - I have my broadband coming into a cupboard which houses everything very tidily - Sky in, Multiroom out, all AV equipment, powerline disrtibution etc. BT helpfully told me once the order was completed that they wouldn't be able to run into the nice smart box I have installed. They couldn't assure me that they would follow my wishes about where it entered the house.

Order cancelled. And I can live with the BT Broadband I already have.

I was put off for aesthetic reasons - I have my broadband coming into a cupboard which houses everything very tidily - Sky in, Multiroom out, all AV equipment, powerline disrtibution etc. BT helpfully told me once the order was completed that they wouldn't be able to run into the nice smart box I have installed. They couldn't assure me that they would follow my wishes about where it entered the house.

Order cancelled. And I can live with the BT Broadband I already have.
I'm puzzled by that one. As mentioned above, Infinity is FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) so the cabling from the cabinet to your house should normally remain unchanged.

Mega fast download speed is great but what is the surfing speed?

Be interesting to know how the speeds you're getting compares to the 'upto' speeds you're paying for. Without that information it's impossible to make comparisons

I'm with Virgin and on their lowest Broadband Tariff with a speed of 'upto' 10mb, which they have recently doubled foc. I just ran a speed test, the result of which was 20.42mb Download & 1.13mb Upload. (Both Unlimited). Which if fine as I don't upload any large files.

bbandresults.JPG

Last edited:
We went over to BT infinity last week. Very smooth changeover. Works really well. Currently download speed around 36 but have been told it will be at 56 ish next week. Prior to infinity we were in a bit of a blackspot with a max speed of 3 and only a couple of providers willing to even try so for us this is brilliant.

I need to look into this I think. Now I've looked something is not right.

2281176230.png

Download 4.2, upload 0.6.

So it's got to be better when infinity is installed.

I have infinity 2 and think it is good. 76M download and 16M upload, quite consistently. I don't rate the Homehub3 wi-fi though, performance isn't great. I have a Linksys EA4500 in bridge mode to give me better wi-fi coverage with additional dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 5ghz has great throughput too.

Got BT Infinity a few weeks ago. 1/2 price for 3 months, £50 discount via Quidco and £50 Sainsbury Voucher.

On-line ordering impressive - very useful tool to select preferred appointment time.

Installation itself went very smoothly. It uses the same copper cable from cabinet to house (although it's fibre optic to the cabinet). I prefer my wifi router in roof space, so engineer ran a cable from the main phone terminal to the roofspace and installed the modem and wifi router there.

Great results: download 37Mb/s, upload 8Mb/s. Plus, free wifi via BT WIFI when you're out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom