BT/Openreach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I am sure like me you have had to complain about bad service from BT and Openreach. Anyhow on Monday morning I phoned
BT to report a leaning telephone pole and wires almost touching the ground. 1.5 hours later an engineer called with me and
assessed the situation. He said he was unable to fix the wires, that the best solution was to replace 2 poles and he would
arrange this. This morning (Thursday) men arrived and replaced 2 poles and installed superior wire. I am still in a state of
amazement at this good service.

There is a joke in there somewhere about a quick erection after MissyD's reply. :banana:

Great post

Used to work with them via a major ISP and it has to be said they get it right WAY more often than wrong - just human nature to only ever highlight the negative.

Imagine running a company that can do it's job much better with the latest and greatest technology but has to use a lot of it's budget to maintain elderly and crumbling infrastructure - remember some of those cables over your head can be 20-30 years old! Some years ago the bean-counters realised that aluminium cables could do the same as copper but were cheaper. As a result, some underground cabling was replaced. What they had not done was tested for longevity - it actually degrades much faster than copper. The result is that a good percentage of issues can only be solved by digging up and replacing. Bad enough when down a country lane - but across the main A14?!!

No saints by any means, but some of the challenges they face are huge

................... remember some of those cables over your head can be 20-30 years old!

How did you get such new ones?

During one of the storms this Spring, I noticed that the BT telephone pole outside my house was moving in the gusts of wind. I phoned BT and they said they'd get someone out to check in the next few days. Fifteen minutes later (I kid you not) a BT Openreach van pulled up. The driver phoned me to ensure he was at the right place and then performed a number of checks. He called me back and explained that the pole was safe, although it was moving a few degrees. He also said that another team would come out to perform more scientific tests sometime in the next few days and would anchor it more firmly if necessary. I was impressed at the (very) rapid response and that I was kept informed.

last week after 2 months of 23mbps internet (BT) when I used to have 52mbps (I thought perhaps they had turned the speed down during lockdown to help with increased usage or something, I called to check. They checked the speed whilst i was on the phone, confirmed it was less than it should be, made an appointment to come and sort it out for te next day, turned up on time, checked everything they could without coming into the house and then replaced something in the cabinet at the top of the road. now 70mbps all day long. All sorted in just over 24 hours.

Openreach are fine when they work for Bt.

Not so good when subcontracting for the other providers.

Can't be ****d to explain fully but had a issue with talk talk broadband, openreach bloke came round and cocked up our phone line but fixed broadband, talk talk washed hands of it as we didn't have phone line with them. Had to pay bt to fix it and you guessed it the same bloke who cocked it up in the first place came back to fix it but this time working for Bt !!!!!

I would guess with telephone poles they'd be extremely concerned about the possibility of it toppling and injuring someone.

They changed all of them in our village a few years ago - seemed to be a matter of routine, the one they took out across the road from us apppeared fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom