BT Plug and Go or Fully Installed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

My Brother needs a Bluetooth phone set up for his car, due to restrictions on his warranty, he is not allowed to fully install a car kit.

So here is the question, which is better a plug and go blue tooth kit, or a proper fully installable car kit that does not get fully installed but is installed in a way that it takes power via the lighter socket and does not connect to the cars Audio system.

With the second option, we would need to find away to package it up neatly and may be mount it on a pod in the car, this won't invalidate the warranty apparently.

The car does have a car kit already in it, but it is the type that you have to put a SIM card in and as he will receive more calls than make them and he makes shorter journeys rather than being in the car for hours, taking the SIM card out regularly will become a pain.

The car is a Porsche 911, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Tan

Shocked and amazed to hear the fitting of a BT kit invaldates a Porsche warranty. Is that even if fitted by the main dealer?

Shocked and amazed to hear the fitting of a BT kit invaldates a Porsche warranty. Is that even if fitted by the main dealer?

The main dealer won't fit one, I read on a Porsche forum recently that even fitting a Bosch battery would invalidate the warranty, even though the warranty does not even cover the battery.

Hello

Can he not get two sim cars with the same number and use the car kit? My dad this with with orange and sure other suppliers do it?

You can buy BLuetooth devices that clip to sun visor, you can also buy a mains charger or they come with car chargers. The devices usally last quite a while once charged. A couple of my friends have them and they work really well. Search ebay and you should be able t o get one easily.

Or get 2 sims with the same network. Use the phone number of the one in the car as the default mobile and set it to forward calls to the 'proper' mobile if no answer / unavailable. Have to withhold the number on main mobile though as otherwise people would return calls.

If on the same network then depending on tariff there would be no charge to transfer call.

Hello

Can he not get two sim cars with the same number and use the car kit? My dad this with with orange and sure other suppliers do it?

I spoke to and emailed Orange, and they told me it's not possible to have 2 SIMs with the same number

Ask again. Orange do, and I think O2 or Voda do also. You have to turn one off for the other to work.

I bet the dealer would fit you a car kit that wouldn't invalidate the warranty for a porsche dealer sized amount of money though.

Imagine the scenario. Gearbox fails. Porsche refuse to replace due to a 3rd party BT kit fitted. Court case would make interesting Reading.

Ask again. Orange do, and I think O2 or Voda do also. You have to turn one off for the other to work.

I bet the dealer would fit you a car kit that wouldn't invalidate the warranty for a porsche dealer sized amount of money though.

Typically the dual SIMs are available on business contracts - very popular way of doing things in Europe (especially Germany)

I asked Vodafone for the dual SIM and they said that they stopped doing it as most cars have bluetooth these days.

Also, when Voda did do them the tariff's were only the basic one with no inclusive minutes.

Or get 2 sims with the same network. Use the phone number of the one in the car as the default mobile and set it to forward calls to the 'proper' mobile if no answer / unavailable. Have to withhold the number on main mobile though as otherwise people would return calls.

If on the same network then depending on tariff there would be no charge to transfer call.

I thought about doing this and Vodafone told me that call forwarding is not included in your minutes allocation and the calls are all chargeable.

That's just mean. I'm pretty sure that you can do it on Business Tariff's where calls between handsets are part of the same group. EIther that or the salesman lied to me a couple of years ago... (very possible).

Otherwise it might be worth asking the dealer. There are kits out there like the parrot or Bury which can use no-holes mounts and are plug and play

The real question for me is are the plug in kits as good as the kits that are designed to be fully installed.

The real question for me is are the plug in kits as good as the kits that are designed to be fully installed.

Simple answer. No.

Might as well use a BT earpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom