BT saga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cinek

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB W204 , BMW F10, GSXR LZ3
I will try to keep this short, but got to get it off my chest.

We moved into our house over 6 years ago. With the nearest exchange over 7km away, the internet speeds were always horrendous, with just over 1mb/s on a good day.

Early August I got a circular from BT advising that the FTTC is now installed and that they accept new orders.

I was on the phone pretty much straight away, ordering infinity 2. At the time, both my line and broadband were supplied from O2. As advised by the BT sales rep, I could not place an order for infinity, until BT takes over the line from O2.
Right from the beginning, I made it very clear that the only reason I am moving to BT is because of Infinity and Infinity only!

The initial order was showing line rental + standard broadband due to line transfer taking place first.

Line activation was set for 10th of September, with both phone line and standard broadband going live on that day.
On the same day, as previously advised by BT I placed an order for broadband upgrade from standard to infinity.

The date I was given for installation, was 17th of September, between 1pm to 6pm.

As I work away most of a time, taking few hours off work is out of a question. Instead, I rearranged my diary and booked myself off for the whole day.

Yesterday (Friday), at around 2pm I get a phone call from BT telling me, that due to reduced capacity, they have no available engineer to do installation on the 17th.
Far from amused at this stage, I do accept it as the woman on the other phone seemed helpful enough and manages to get me alternative appointment for Friday the 20th.

Again, I rearrange my diary to accommodate full day off on Friday.

Around 4pm, I get a txt message from BT that my order has been suspended indefinitely due to no available capacity at the local exchange. It will take couple of months before this changes and I should contact bt then to see if infinity is available.
Now at this point I blew my top.

After wasting over two hours of my life and speaking to 5 different departments here are some 'answers' I was given;

'The delay has got nothing to do with bt, it is bt openreach who is at fault'

'It is down to the issues they have with bt tv service at the moment, and thats despite I DO NOT HAVE BT TV'

'I am not getting infinity, because it is not available in my area. Oh wait, what was your phone number again? Great news, bt infinity is now avalable, would you like to place an order?:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:'

'Your contract has gone live three days ago and no, you cant cancel!'

Finally, back to square one 'infinity is not yet available in my postcode'
So I say, what about two of my next door neighbours who both had infinity installed last week, and before you ask, both are served by the same cabinet??
Oh no, that is impossible, they cant have whats not there!'
Well, they do as I spoke to them both...

So, I signed the contract to get a service. This service is now being declined and I am supposed to sit tight and wait until some monkey at bt decides whether I can have what I asked in the first place...

Last edited:
BT are playing a naughty game with Infinity. Just because FTTC is being installed doesn't mean you have to use BT. A number of other providers will do the same like Sky, Plusnet etc etc. You can complain to Ofcom though if I were you I would make your complaint official and escalate it. If you go to the regulator it will be the first question asked: did you give them the chance to resolve. I had a similar issue with BT when I had ADSL, my line failed the test when I was with Sky but miraculously passed for them!

Had the same thing happen, bt said yes it was available then changed their mind. Signed up with sky (who use the same line) and they had an open reach engineer out within a fortnight installing it.

Best thing I ever done, it's worth the extra cash!

Email the CEO.

BT is a huge origination, and it explodes when something goes wrong.

He has a high level escalation team of his own.

Contact the Managing Director's Office. This seems to be a good way to bypass the bull**** that BT rain down on you in this kind of situation

The MD's office seems to have a huge staff of people answering the phone and dealing with high-level complaints. Can't think why!

Nick Froome

BT are not what they used to be.

We have had woeful business service on numerous occasions.

This occurs because BT "Open reach" still has a monopoly from local exchange to street cabinet to you. In common with most privatisations of public utilities there is a limit to the real competition that would improve prices and customer service in a high demand environment . Recently I have seen vans with Kelly Communications working for BT "Open Reach" sign-written on the side so I guess that might be an indication of take up . Sub- contract don't you just love it. They also appear to work for Virgin in some areas. Kelly Ltd. - Business Sectors - Telecommunication and Broadband Services
You may simply have been too late to take up the present capacity available at the local exchange. As has been said some of that capacity may have been block allocated /prioritised at a wholesale level to other service providers such as Sky who are now coming into the game. :( There is a huge rush to provide one way content streaming via cable/ fibre with BT competing with Sky and Virgin Media. Such is the growth here that some say the days of satellite broadcast are numbered. Unfortunately this has meant people who wish genuinely faster broadband two way communications have been trampled in the rush of people wanting Sky Sport/ Premier league/ latest Hollywood block buster movies. :doh:

Last edited:
You may simply have been too late to take up the present capacity available at the local exchange

This was the last thing they said to me, that the current capacity at the local exchange has been exceeded.

My issue with BT at the moment is that the only reason I moved over to them, was because they sent me a letter stating I can have infinity - this would never happen otherwise.

Now, 6 weeks from that letter, 3 days after my service has gone live, I am told I cant have it :doh:

Few words come to my mind at the moment, but since none of are polite ones, I shall hold my tongue.

Circular sent to me back in August

circular_zps60cabf6c.jpg

Order confirmation for infinity installation

order1_zps24c4fd12.jpg

Order update after they cancelled 17th and moved it to 20th

order2_zps49369951.jpg

Visit is now cancelled

order3_zps513426a9.jpg

My phone and broadband work...and we were upgraded free to fibre optic...just saying.

The daft thing is that they're installing Fibre in fairly built-up areas and those same areas are likely to be amongst the first to get high speed mobile broadband too.

Hmmm

BT installed Broadband at my house some years back. having installed it and been paid for doing so, they then told me that it wouldn't work as I was too far from the exchange. Being silly, I asked why they had accepted the order and installed a non-working service. They blamed Open Reach who blamed BT. Finally they agreed to tweak the service and managed to get it running .5Mgb as this was under their target speed they refused to guarantee that it would run. However they did not refuse to bill me £28 per month for it.

Shambles.

Well, over three hours on the phone yesterday with another 3h today.
Finally managed to talk to someone with a bit of a sense, so will see if anything gets resolved.

In the meantime, filed the complaint on bt website and bt forum.

Cant think of much more I can do at this stage.

Well, over three hours on the phone yesterday with another 3h today.
Finally managed to talk to someone with a bit of a sense, so will see if anything gets resolved.

In the meantime, filed the complaint on bt website and bt forum.

Cant think of much more I can do at this stage.
Perhaps an email to Watchdog :D

I know how you must feel though I've had a few run-ins with BT over the line to my house. I'm about 1/2 mile from my cabinet and the connection is the old aluminium cable which is rubbish. I get just over 3meg, downhill with a following wind if the sun is shining! Virgin cable runs down my street and it is looking more attractive than BT

Last edited:
You might wish to check on the street cabinet that serves your house to see if its been upgraded. If its the old [smaller] one you are probab ly out of luck for now. :dk:

COMPARISON OF OLD AND NEW BOXES

fttc_cabinet1_small.jpg

THE GUTS OF THE NEW ONES [ lots of cooling fans evidently.
1352473141_w670_h503.png

The fibre optics were laid back in March and the Huawei 288 cabinet was installed back in May.

Theres no question about fibre being available, this is 100% confirmed.
I have finally got through to senior management and they admitted it is their **** up, and that they will have to sort it out one way or the other.

The fibre optics were laid back in March and the Huawei 288 cabinet was installed back in May.

Theres no question about fibre being available, this is 100% confirmed.
I have finally got through to senior management and they admitted it is their **** up, and that they will have to sort it out one way or the other.

Sounds as if your perseverance will pay off. Hope you get it sorted soon.:thumb:

I had added a link to series of pictures of the new cabinets [ single and double] for anyone else interested.
http://www.fibreforsaddleworth.co.uk/twitter/?cab=all&showall=yes

Last edited:
Sounds as if your perseverance will pay off. Hope you get it sorted soon.:thumb:

I had added a link to series of pictures of the new cabinets [ single and double] for anyone else interested.
http://www.fibreforsaddleworth.co.uk/twitter/?cab=all&showall=yes

Thats the plan.
I didnt pay 8 months cancellation fee to O2 for the line rental, only to be told I cant have what I was promised in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom