Bucking the trend. U.K. Manufactured Toyota is exported to Japan!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
The Toyota Avensis which is built at Toyota's Derbyshire plant will be exported to its mother country.

The factory already exports cars to 47, countries. However, it must be seen as a fantastic achievement that the British-made Toyota is being exported to Japan.

Well done to the boy's and girls at the Burnaston factory.

For discussion.

Why is importing a car that originated in their homeland, a viable proposition for the Japanese?

What factors (hinderances or incentives) can make the importing of its own brand attractive to Toyota?

Are the workers at the Derbyshire factory highly efficient, or perhaps underpaid?

Perhaps raw materials costs and subsidies play a part in all of this?

As well as the country still being in turmoil it may well be advantageous for the Japanese to be building cars outwith Japan

Guess which year since the birth of british car manufacturing saw the greatest numbers exported ?

Yep 2010

Nissan were exporting British-built Qashqais to Japan in 2008.

Although I stand to be corrected, I believe that they will import the Avensis into Japan because it is only made in Burnaston. It is not made anywhere else, so they would have to import it!

He he. Yes, you are correct.

What I should have said was "Why don't they manufacture the car in Japan". :rolleyes: :)

From what I understand most car factories are mono-model or at least, the change from one model to another isn't something that can be done in a weekend. I suspect that they build the factory where the car will sell the most, IE UK/Euroland, then export the small numbers back to Japan.

Also Japan being a RHD country means that its easy to tweak UK spec cars for the motherland. KMH dials and head unit radio frequencies from what I remember about Grey Imports in the other direction.

From what I understand most car factories are mono-model or at least, the change from one model to another isn't something that can be done in a weekend.
This is correct, the only build the Avensis and Auris at Burnaston :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom