Buckled alloys in a pot hole - compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
Hit a pot hole badly on Saturday and just noticed that both front and rear alloys got buckled!

Has anyone had any experience seeking compensation from the Highways department or is simply down to me for not swerving!!:crazy:

The wheels are 19" with a 30 and 35 profile and so sympathy is likely to be thin on the ground. Nonetheless, a costly mistake as I suspect they will need to be changed and I'm off to Monaco next week. :confused:

Smillion

Just an observation.......but how could you prove it was that hole that caused that damage? Balance of probabilities? There are sadly too many holes on our roads, so think you have little chance really.

Quite agree.

Nonetheless, the is a huge great hole in the middle of the road in Swindon and there is no disputing that. I would be rather sad and take a picture and tell them to do something about it.

Beginning to sound like John (glojo)

I don't believe it.............:D

Ive tried in the past when I was running 19's on my CLK, you will only get a contribution towards the repair if the council is found to be negilgent. The council would have to have been aware of the pothole and not repaired it in order for you to get a claim.
Worth a try but I would get on with having it fixed myself.

Sadly in these days of litigation, WHERE THERE IS BLAME THERE IS A CLAIM, councils have wisened up a tad. I guess if you don't ask you don't get but ..........:confused:

you will only get a contribution towards the repair if the council is found to be negilgent

Is it possible to fix a buckled wheel? I mean they really are bicklied . I just assumed they were a write off.

I'm also assuming that aesthetics aside, they cannot be used.

Perhaps they can be? Visit to tyre shop tomorrow i think.

Smillion

I had luck with this about 8 years ago when I was in Liverpool.

Our neighbour had reported a pot hole on our road (I didn't know this at the time) about two weeks before I damaged an alloy on my Vento. Wrote a stiff letter to the council with photographic evidence. Also got a letter from VW that they no longer manufactured the BBS alloys I had, so sent them the dealers quote for four new alloys.

Got a cheque for about £500 within days! Not a bad result!

So maybe the answer is to take pics, ask a neighbour to report it and then about a week later submit some new pics and report the damage.

I know it sounds like fraud but if the "motorist" is paying £40bn per year on motoring taxes doesn't it sound reasonable that the odd hole gets filled up so that something other than a tractor or a tank can get a decent ride without damaging wheels or suspension?

Shude said:
So maybe the answer is to take pics, ask a neighbour to report it and then about a week later submit some new pics and report the damage.

They are quick to repair anything which might cost them money, less than 24 hours after i had reported the pot-hole, it had been filled.

aka$h said:
They are quick to repair anything which might cost them money, less than 24 hours after i had reported the pot-hole, it had been filled.
Ahh, so maybe the two reports have to be filed hours apart rather than days :)

I've heard of this before also on larger diameter wheels potholes etc.. causing damage to the inside of the rim

Bad news is that it won't be a warranty issue and you will end up paying for them.

aka$h said:

That's what I heared too from a friend of mine who was a Lawyer for a local council in the North West (not Liverpool!). I guess I got lucky - probably because of the lenghty delay in them fixing the pothole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom