Budget - vehicle taxation changes, Q&A

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
What are the details of the so-called "showroom tax"?

From April next year, the drivers of the most polluting cars will pay vehicle excise duty of £440.

Then from April 2010, people buying new models that are the most polluting will pay vehicle excise duty of £950 in their first year of owning the vehicle.

After that they will then pay vehicle excise duty of £455 per year.

Those buying vehicles classed as the second-most polluting, will pay £750 in the first year and £430 per year thereafter.

How do I know if my car is classed as "most polluting"?

From next year, vehicles will be put in one of six new bands.

The top band - band M - will be for those vehicles which emit more than 255g of carbon dioxide per kilometre (CO2/km) driven.

The second-highest band - Band L - is for cars emitting between 226g and 255g of CO2/km.

How does this compare with the situation now?

Currently, cars emitting more than 225g of CO2/km pay £400 a year in vehicle excise duty - though there is no one-off higher first year charge.

Is it only the most polluting cars which face the showroom tax?

No. All cars classed in the current bands E and F - which produce between 166g and 226g of CO2/km will also have to pay a higher rate in the first year.

This will range from £250 to £550 in the first year and from £180 to £310 thereafter, depending on the extent of CO2 emissions.

What if I have a relatively "clean" car?

In 2009-10, the standard rate of vehicle excise duty will be cut for all new and existing cars which emit less than 150g of CO2/km

From 2010-11 the owners of cars emitting less than 130g CO2/km will pay no vehicle excise duty.

Cars fuelled on alternative fuels, such as bio fuels, will get a tax discount of between £15 and £20 in 2009-10 and £10

Why are the changes coming into play?

The government says that motorists should be helped to see that a "cleaner" car is good for their bank balance as well as the environment.

A report published alongside the Budget by Professor Julia King calls for the lifetime costs of running a car to be prominently displayed in the showroom.

It also recommends a colour-coded road tax disc dependent on emissions levels.

Is it all been done for the good of the environment?

There is a financial implication.

Changes to Vehicle Excise Duty, extracting more from owners of gas-guzzlers, is forecast to raise £465m in 2009-10 and £735m in 2010-11.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7292110.stm

It also recommends a colour-coded road tax disc dependent on emissions levels.

OMG you can just see activists standing by the side of the road throwing rocks at cars displaying "bad" tax disks!

Is it all been done for the good of the environment?

There is a financial implication.

Changes to Vehicle Excise Duty, extracting more from owners of gas-guzzlers, is forecast to raise £465m in 2009-10 and £735m in 2010-11.

Hmmm. If that revenue increase is down to new car sales that's over 500000 new 'gas-guzzlers' in 2010-11.

That kind of indicates that it's not dissuading people to avoid these cars. And that's based on their numbers.

So its all about revenue.

No surprise there then.

It's not as safe as you think!

If your car was registered before 1 March 2001, VED is pretty much unchanged except for the usual inflation rate style increases.

The worst parts of the changes announced today apply to cars registered after 1 March 2001 (i.e. those with a CO2 rating).

Those who sought 'protection' from cars registered before 23 March 2006 will loose that 'protection' from 1 April 2009, when all cars registered after 1 March 2001 will be rebanded (i.e. A to M).

Nice bit of changing the rules in the middle of a game .. perhaps the Government has been seeking advice from Mr Livingstone.

Last edited:
This will do wonders for the resale value of big cars registered before 1st March 2001. My VEDs for the C230K and E300D are £180 which is between bands E and F on the g/km system. Also for the congestion charge both my cars are below 3,000cc so will still pay the standard rate and will avoid the £25 rate. The money and time wasted dreaming up complicated systems which would be entirely solved by sticking with fuel duty for everything. Plus the shop owners of calais are already congratulating mr darling on a job well done. I give up.
I suppose they think people who can't afford new cars will vote labour. how little they know.
Les

Last edited:
Yay !!

I can still afford to tax the 7 series !! ( If i get it ;) )

Helpful post Robert, thanks. I saw that there was one other key budget announcement regarding cars:

"New funding to be set aside to develop technology for national road pricing to ease congestion".

Coming to a country near you soon. State control of your very ability to step outside your own front door. Great!

What really gets me in these budgets is the fundemental truth (mentioned by Dryce, above) that the government actually don't want to discourage large cars, binge drinking or smoking. They need the money that these indulgences raise (to fritter away, bit that's another matter).

The hypocracy of saying "we are taxing fuel inefficient cars to encourage people not to drive them" in one breath and then saying "we expect to raise £500 million off the back of these taxes" in another just shows that politicians are lying, two-faced.... [ten ripe and fruity expletives deleted]

Thanks Robert. It's worse than I thought it might be.

I'd love to ask 'the Government' how re-banding vehicles registered after 2001 will encourage people buying new cars to buy ones with a lower CO2 output, and help the environment.

Nice little earner.

What which Mercedes are 'Green'.
My W203 200 k has 227G/km and so is in the top bracket,
might as well sell it and buy a huge V8, just to get my monies worth.

Good idea. Why don't buy one of those Jaguar limousines that the government ministers are driven around in? Whiff of hypocracy from Downing Street...

I'm thinking of buying a double cab pick-up truck soon - Nissan Navara or Mitsubishi L200 - does anyone know how (or if) commercial vehicles are affected?

What with the cost and heavy tax on petrol, the ever increasing congestion charge, car insurance going up yearly, and now this !!!!!!

What more is there to say......it would appear that the motorist pays for everything as he is an easy target.

To crown it all the general condition of the roads nowadays is really sh*te !!!!!

I'm liking your thinking ..... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom