buffet breakfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

Hi I am going on a weekend break to Amsterdam and my hotel is providing a buffet breakfast. From past experiences on holiday I always end up having cereal and a cup of tea (just like at home!) but was looking for ideas on what I should be going for! What is the norm for buffet breakfasts; what is normally eaten and in what order?! And what should be avoided. Any ideas will be appreciated!

what confuses me is having orange juice before or after your cereal

have you ever mixed milk and orange juice ?

that concuction will be in your tummy

yuk

normally i have juice with cereal and toast, then a sample of whatever they have on the hot buffet

are you not worried about the explosive contens of your stomach as in milk n juice, it curdles the milk and makes you ill

Start with cereal, then summat hot then a bit of toast, then summat hot again then a few pastries and a bit of fruit on the way out - works for me

The only thing I never eat is cereal, hate the stuff. Oh and orange juice, it's always tomato juice for me. Breakfast should be a moveable feast and I partake freely of the buffet according to my whim; smoked salmon, cold meats, salami, hot buffet, pastries etcetera. I do a lot of work in Japan and they are always astonished at western breakfasts, "You eat the same thing every day for breakfast, how boring!"

If it's a proper Dutch breakfast, then it'll include cold meats, cheese and bread. You have a choice:

1) Eat as if it was a non-specific meal (in other words, don't get hung up on the fact that it's breakfast time).
2) Eat whatever you want (there won't be anybody there to judge you, or give you marks).
3) Get a grip FFS!

;) (I think)

Eh?

Insist upon good bacon, sausage, perfectly poached eggs and warm toast.

Anything else is just a substitute.

Watch out for the raw ox sausage! Love the stuff but if you're not used to it the results can be quite explosive.

I used to work in the Netherlands and every morning they would put three plates in front of me.
One full of bread, one full of slices of cheese and one full of slices of ham! For breakfast?
Everyday I had my coffee and left everything else. (Perhaps thats why they gave it to me again the next day?)

eat everything its FREE

draft_lens2209249module11912774photo_1237240047mrgreedy.jpg

Best breakfasts I ever had was while we were on holiday in Ibiza many years ago.
There was a co(k-up with the hotel bookings and we were transferred to an almost 100% German run hotel.
The food there was simply to die for and the quantities were ridiculous and vast.
Being the type of person who hates to waste food, I struggled to do justice to each meal. Breakfasts were as much and as varied as your imagination would allow. It was actually far, far tooooo much. And for me to say that takes some going............

European hotels, no matter how many stars, jut dont know how to do a proper buffet breakfast.

I stayed at a 5* in venice last week and the breakast was basically cereal, croisants, cheeses etc.. oh and some runny scrambled eggs... this is one of the top 3 hotels in venice.

Similar experiences across Europe..

go to asia or the USA and the breakfasts are amazing.. omelettes made while you wait, pancakes etc etc..

If you're confident I recommend exploring the city and buying your breakfast in a local cafe/bar. It'll cost half as much and be twice as good.

what confuses me is having orange juice before or after your cereal

have you ever mixed milk and orange juice ?

that concuction will be in your tummy

yuk

I have that every morning - doesnt do me any harm (as far as I know :) )

If you're confident I recommend exploring the city and buying your breakfast in a local cafe/bar. It'll cost half as much and be twice as good.

Yep but I always find it difficult to find places that cater for vegetarians very well.. and my wife says i get cranky if I havent eaten by 11 am!

But thats always the best for lunch & dinner, hotels are always a rip off.

besides many deals will include buffet breakfast so makes sense to take advantage..

Yep but I always find it difficult to find places that cater for vegetarians very well.. and my wife says i get cranky if I havent eaten by 11 am!

But thats always the best for lunch & dinner, hotels are always a rip off.

besides many deals will include buffet breakfast so makes sense to take advantage..

A vegetarian in the Netherlands, oh dear, hope you like cheese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom