Bugger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
Just put it through a sign and onto a roundabout.

My fault, driving like a d*ck with the roof down in the nice weather.

Looks like it'll need a wing, front bumper, headlight and spotlight, plus labour and paint. And one wheel repairing.

Hopefully not a write off.

2003 sl350 with 60k miles?

20140730_203455_zps0df31493.jpg

Why would it be a write off ?

Fix it and learn from your own mistake.

Looks like cosmetic damage to me.

I have learnt from my mistake.

Not because I've damaged my car, like stealth said it's just a car. I could have hurt others.
Big lesson learnt. My lucky day really.

I think it is only cosmetic, it drove home OK and didn't seem to have any issues.

I don't think it'll be a write off, but you do see cars for sale with less damage as insurance write offs.
I've also no idea what the price of the parts would be?

2 grand if you source some of the bits yourself (including paint)

It'll be going through the insurance

Least you're ok... Not to worry, maybe a good excuse for a new one? ;-)

At least you are honest... Live and learn... Doesn't look too bad, shouldn't be a write off.

2 grand if you source some of the bits yourself (including paint)

Probably about right.

However, it would be more expensive if an insurance claim was involved, say £2,600- £2,800. If the car is worth around £4,000 it could well be written off as a Cat D.

I had a similar scenario with a car worth £1,800. Non-fault claim with a quotation of £1,400. Through insurance, it would have been written off working at 66% to value of car. Fortunately, the owners of the truck that hit my car paid for the repair directly without involvement of insurance companies.
Around a week later, the brand new mirror was damaged my Mrs Ringway's brother who was carrying a petrol mower between my car and another on the driveway! :doh:
Luckily, I managed to get another one from a breakers yard in Leeds.

Sadly, I think that will be written off if you go down the insurance claim route, given the age of the car .

Going through insurance will write the car off judging by your photos but you'll be able to buy it back cheaply and get it repaired yourself and still have a fat wedge of cash left over.

^^^^ What he said i've done that 3 times, salvage value from insurance is peanuts and theres a way of putting it back on the road without it being recorded as a cat D ;)

^an extended test. Costs about £200-300. Will still show up on a HPI check but not as write off or cat D or C. Will show as "inspected" instead. Not many people know this.

Really sorry to hear this bud :(
Hope you manage to get it sorted without too much hassle.

Without wanting to irritate an open wound, can I ask what happened?

Did you mount the kerb of the roundabout - presumably you did, as the sign post wouldn't be on the roadway but on the island of the roundabout.

I suggest you have the car checked carefully for suspension damage - or at least wheel alignment.

Hope you get it repaired and back in the sunshine soon.

Bearing in mind that you might lose substantial NCB it might be better financial sense to bear the cost of the repair yourself.

Im no expert and its hard to tell from just pictures but I would think you could repair this yourself without involving insurance - especially as there are no other parties involved. Do you have an excess to pay? Put this towards your own repair and the loss of NCB may not be worth it - as mentioned above

I would get some quotes at least before going through the insurance route.

What speed was the impact? And what exactly did you go over? Curb? How high?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom