Bugger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
….. the repairer says all the rear suspension is 'loose', as in its not right. I've a feeling this is a reason as to why it whipped round....

Did it have a MOT test recently? Might be worth looking in to if the MOT was from the supplying dealer - surely "loose" suspension should be picked up in a MOT :dk:

True fact Meldrew2 but an mot is only good really on the day of issue :-/ IMO

Last edited:
It was moted back in January.

I don't think it loose as in loose nuts and bolts, maybe something has snapped in there?

To be honest, I've walked away, hurt nobody else. I'm insured and the car seems to be more trouble than its worth. It's not been written off yet(I find out Tuesday from the head engineer) but the assessor said it was more than likely.

Hopefully I won't lose out to much. I'll move on and learn(over 25 years accident and incident free) from the experience, maybe get another sl?

Like people say it's only a car. Onwards and upwards.

Saying that I haven't slept for 2 nights:crazy:

That's a very mature attitude to take dude.

It is only a car - some metal, nuts, bolts, fluids. Like you said, you have walked away and nobody hurt.

No one is perfect at the end of the day. We all make mistakes no matter who we are.

happily no one hurt. I agree with the point about honesty and putting your hand up on this one. Live, learn and drive on.

I flipped a Renault clio on the motoway last month walked out with my life and purchased a mb clk these Mercedes are truly tanks grate to hear u safe and unharmed a accident can really brings home how easy it is to loose your life behind the wheel hope your repaired go to plans mate and I wish u a safe driving future :)

Did it have a MOT test recently? Might be worth looking in to if the MOT was from the supplying dealer - surely "loose" suspension should be picked up in a MOT :dk:

A colleague told me today that he bought a used BMW a couple of months ago from a dealer. Before signing the dotted line he noticed uneven wear on the front tyres, and was told by the dealer's technician that there was a tracking issue which they now sorted, and the tyres are fine.

Two month's later the car went in for MOT, and the same technician told him that the car needs two new front tyres...

He eventually managed to get the dealer to fit two new tyres free of charge. I bet the technician got a telling off...

OK so this was my pride joy...
1201_zps93e1404b.jpg

It's been written off today, it had a few niggles, abc issues, parking sensor issues and need tyres soon and servicing.
Looked nice with low miles and owners, but I do think there was underlying issues with the brakes/suspension?

Anyway it's gone!

So.....

Picking this up on Friday!

2014-08-0520165936_zpsf3650ff1.png

Same year(half a plate newer) similar miles with No abc!! Hasn't got the panoramic roof, but to be honest it's a bit pointless on a cabrio?grey leather and not red.. Apart from that it's the same car, but without the issues! It looks better in the metal, photos don't do it justice.
Cost me £5 + my excess.

I'll grow to love it, I initially wanted a black one.

That's a good result :thumb:

Same year(half a plate newer) similar miles with No abc!! Hasn't got the panoramic roof, but to be honest it's a bit pointless on a cabrio?grey leather and not red.. Apart from that it's the same car, but without the issues! It looks better in the metal, photos don't do it justice.
Cost me £5 + my excess.

Nice one, that's a great result :thumb:

OK so this was my pride joy...
1201_zps93e1404b.jpg

It's been written off today, it had a few niggles, abc issues, parking sensor issues and need tyres soon and servicing.
Looked nice with low miles and owners, but I do think there was underlying issues with the brakes/suspension?

Anyway it's gone!

So.....

Cost me £5 + my excess.

Why not keep the Pano roof off your old one ( obviously getting it painted to match ) ? I expect an arrangement could be reached allowing the two rooves to be swapped .

Just put it through a sign and onto a roundabout.

Looks like it'll need a wing, front bumper, headlight and spotlight, plus labour and paint. And one wheel repairing.

Hopefully not a write off.

2003 sl350 with 60k miles?

20140730_203455_zps0df31493.jpg

It's been written off today,

Am I alone in thinking that the damage is not entirely dissimilar to Del 320's CE ?

Why not keep the Pano roof off your old one ( obviously getting it painted to match ) ? I expect an arrangement could be reached allowing the two rooves to be swapped .

I hear what you're saying but I'm not really bothered.

The new car is black so you don't notice if it's got a panoramic roof. If the car was another silver one or any other colour I think I may want one. But when I drive it the roof is nearly always down! When it's up its not a nice day so I don't need the panoramic roof!
If it was a hard top car(permanent) I think it would matter more.

Enjoy the new car - it's always a good day when you pick up a car.

But am I alone in being slightly shocked that that level of damage can send a car to the scrappers?

I expect somebody will buy that and put it back on the road ( unless it has been recorded as a Cat B , which I doubt ) .

All the back end underneath is damaged. It has abc suspension. And the assessor said there could be more damage once they start delving.

I personally wouldn't want to see that car back on the road unless I knew exactly what had been repaired on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom