Buggering blow out! C55 recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
Just had the OSF snip itself on the rim from running flat (think the valve may have gone earlier, by SWMBO drove on with "a funny pull to the right!). :devil:

Fortunately there wasn't a huge amount left on the fronts, so not quite such a slap in the face, but could have done without the expense right now.

It's running Pirelli P Zeros right now and replacing them can be done for £288 fully fitted. Since I've only had the car for 3 weeks, I have no real experience of their performance or wear. I was hoping to make them last until the winter and put cold weather tyres on!

Any particular recommendations?

In fact, Camskill have them for £244 delivered, so prob about £25-30 fitting on top that way.

I am running Falken FK452's on mine. They can be had for £88 each on the front. Don't fall into the tyre snobbery war, these are very highly rated tyres. I have used them lots in the past on my M3's etc and can't fault them. I am sure someone may come on and say they are crap and pay the mahoosive amount for a brand name but i truely believe that there are tyres like these and Kumho KU-31's that rival them just as well.

Vredestein Sessanta's from my experience with these on fast modified Jap 4x4's they were brillant, hard wearing and superb in the wet as well as in the dry.

Plus I dont like the P-Zero Rosso design on the front on the C55 the rears which use the Nero design are much better.

You can't go wrong with Michelin.

Worth the extra IMHO.

Will

I am running Falken FK452's on mine. They can be had for £88 each on the front. Don't fall into the tyre snobbery war, these are very highly rated tyres. I have used them lots in the past on my M3's etc and can't fault them. I am sure someone may come on and say they are crap and pay the mahoosive amount for a brand name but i truely believe that there are tyres like these and Kumho KU-31's that rival them just as well.

£70 each for them (exld. P&P):

FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN FK452 FALKEN FK 452 - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL :: £69.55 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::_

I've had bad experiences with budget tyres in the past on FWD cars - wiped the shoulders clean off in months for example. Also found the compounds useless in wet weather, etc. Not always going to be the case, but the brands do seem to have more versatile rubber ...

Im with Terry, I switched from p zeros to falken 452's. For me they seem to wear better and there cheaper :thumb:

Interesting ... want to make sure I like them as I'll probably/hopefully have to put up with them for a few years, unlike the rears! ;)

I had Falken 452s on my S2000. While they were grippy enough in wet and dry, I only got 8000 miles out of the rears and that wasn't by raping them either! I swapped to Pilot Sport 2's all round and they did nearly 18000 miles! Double the price, but double the wear rate so the cost is perfectly justified!

Actually, if they were double the wear, it's much better, as you'll have only once had to put up with minimal tread depth and loss of grip/aquaplaning as a result. Mind you, I've had a few tyres that impressed the hell outta me at first, then after about 3 months, went off badly with the grip but lasted another year or so before the wear could justify replacement.

As for PS2s, I got about 7k out of them on my ST220 on the drive wheels. Worst tyre I've ever used in the snow. Ever. Just hopeless. I know they're summer tyres before anyone jumps in, but you can "manage" in the snow on most tyres. This was like being in a cart with slicks on a wet track. They were great when new in the summer mind :)

Out of interest for those of you who've had the P Zeros up front, price aside for a minute, how did you find them in different conditions and wear wise?

Contact Elite Tyres of Rainham. Best I've ever used, and best price I found for AMG spec tyres (MO) if you prefer those (as I do).

£70 each for them (exld. P&P):

FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN FK452 FALKEN FK 452 - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL :: £69.55 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::_

I've had bad experiences with budget tyres in the past on FWD cars - wiped the shoulders clean off in months for example. Also found the compounds useless in wet weather, etc. Not always going to be the case, but the brands do seem to have more versatile rubber ...

I'm in the Falken camp, but ZE912's, wear rate, grip & noise are as good as any of the big names costing twice as much or more! No longer do you need to pay Michelin/Conti prices for an excellent tyre.

Russ

Well they're even cheaper at £65 a corner ...

FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN ZE912 ZIEX FALKEN ZE 912 - 225/40R18 92W XL TL :: £64.70 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::_

I don't like paying over the odds obviously - and can ill afford to this month, but I am aware I'll be stuck with them for 2-3 years at least most likely, so paying 50% more for a brand isn't such a bad option *if* there's a reason to.

Hi Alan

Another vote for the 452's from me , got 15k out of the rear ones on mine and i drive fairly spiritedly. ;)

Great tyres.

Went for the P Zeros in the end .. fitting on Friday. Want to benchmark on them first and then experiment. Ta for all the recommendations :eek:)

Ditched the P Zero Rossos on the front of mine , noisy and not nice to drive with.

Went for the P Zeros in the end .. fitting on Friday. Want to benchmark on them first and then experiment. Ta for all the recommendations :eek:)

Sorry about that, no better than the Falkens, well we did try to save you a few quid, better luck next time! ;):);)

Russ

Rosso or Nero? IMO the P-Zero's feel a little light? not sure if yours felt like that or I have too much PSI in mine!!

Check out my thread in the "Engine" section on my C55 decat and x-pipe, wear ear defenders when viewing!!:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom