Build Quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
I thought it had improved. Ive had my car just over 3 years and noticed this today while cleaning the car. The clearcoat has come of in several places on the front of the bonnet. The reat of the car is fine. I have phoned my nearest dealer and as they are 100 miles away, Im being asked to get a local body shop to provide a report. I'll do this on Monday. What do people think about the chances MB will pay for the repair? Its out of warranty by 6 months.

Attachments

• IMG_002511.jpg
    IMG_002511.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 136
That is very poor, I assume no tree sap or bird droppings have been left on the bonnet?

Have you been washing it using a pressure washer?

I had a similar problem many years ago on a Jag XJ - I was using a jet wash and the high pressure water caught the edge of a tiny stone chip and lifted an area of clearcote. Not covered by warranty :(

I just used a sponge and water.

Last edited:
Update. As expected MB flatly refused to repair the damage. I argued with them for a couple of days but gave up. The dealer is 100 miles away and they wanted me to go down so they could take paint depths, a sample, photographs etc. Even if they had agreed to repair it, I would have needed to do 3 round trips of 200 miles so I went to the local bodyshop who quoted just £100 to spray the bonnet.

They have done a superb job, it looks like new and Im better off financially as the petrol costs of 3 x 200 mile trips would have cost me more.

The end result is satisfactory, pleased to know the bodyshop were able to do a good job.

Bummer that you're out of pocket for what would appear to be a fault in manufacture.

I hope the car serves you better than the paintwork has to date.

Cheers
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom