Build spec 1982 380 SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petermarchant

Car
380 SL
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, I have recently purchased a 1982 380SL and wanted to know the build spec when new, the reason being I wanted to know if it had leather interior or MB-TEX???, The car is currently silver,

It's going for a health check and service next week,

Thanks

Peter,

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, I have recently purchased a 1982 380SL and wanted to know the build spec when new, the reason being I wanted to know if it had leather interior or MB-TEX???, The car is currently silver,

It's going for a health check and service next week,

Thanks

Peter,
Vin number?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder

90b55c3367506665b7a743da59de6293.jpg
1c5905aee3a4f9be87f83948488f9477.jpg

Hong Kong?!!

There's a data plate on the front of the car which will have the option codes including the color code stamped on it.

Many thanks, guys still has the correct Radio albeit it is not working? I have been reading several buying guides for the SL and it would seem that the 380 SL is less desirable than most whats your thoughts guys, Also the resale value seems very reasonable compared to the 300 SL,

Many thanks

Peter,

Here's some background on the M116 engine. Main problem with early versions seemed to be with the single row timing chain. Later 4.2 versions of the engine supposedly had camshaft /follower wear problems. There were probably detail changes to the Bosch jetronic injection system along the way also. The 300 SL employed the new M103 engine whereas the older 280 used the twincam M110
Mercedes-Benz M116 engine - Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz R107 and C107 - Wikipedia

Many thanks, guys still has the correct Radio albeit it is not working? I have been reading several buying guides for the SL and it would seem that the 380 SL is less desirable than most whats your thoughts guys, Also the resale value seems very reasonable compared to the 300 SL,

Many thanks

Peter,
Condition is everything on these cars now. Rather have a non rusty 380 than a rusty 300. The later post facelift cars seem most desirable but don't believe the galvanised chassis rubbish, they all rust.
Mainly bulkhead, rear arches, rear valance. Parts are now getting very expensive too. Engines are all pretty solid, the V8's need timing chain and guides, sprockets etc replaced at around 100k mine was done at 60k and needed doing, other than that they are pretty bullet proof.
Try and keep the radio they are desirable pieces now.

Thanks, guys for your replies,

I am glad to know it has leather interior, its what I had thought but I started second guessing when I read about the MB-TEX, The interior is in great shape just worn a little on driver's seat it needs re-conditioning and to be recolored I will get it done soon,

As mentioned previously the car is going to Mercedes for a service and health check I will keep you posted on its return hopefully no horror's,!!!!!!!

regards.

Peter.

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that the order location was HONG KONG is there any way I can find out if it was first registered and delivered to Hong Kong and later imported to the UK??

Thanks Guys,

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that the order location was HONG KONG is there any way I can find out if it was first registered and delivered to Hong Kong and later imported to the UK??

Thanks Guys,

You can contact the Mercedes Benz classic center (either in Germany or Irvine CA) and get a birth certificate. It will tell you the name of the dealer it went to. In the US, if a car was privately imported , there will be import stickers on the door jamb indicating who bought it in. I have no idea if the UK does the same.

Hi Guys, I am looking for a set of 15in alloys as per the picture SL 380 1982 can anyone put me in the right direction of where I could buy some, I know they are not the original that come with the car but I prefer them,
1c8d31a49a17707f0ae6587277ca317e.jpg

Hi Guys,

Could anyone advise on a good supplier for parts from interior parts and carpets to the engine parts steering & running gear for SL 380 1982

Many thanks,

Hi,

These are the same wheels that I have they are 15 inches if I was to put the newer style on I would keep the old ones for resale to put back on,

upload_2019-5-1_20-58-42.jpeg

The 15" wheels were fitted to later 86+ 107 and 126 model cars. I have about 30 in my shop but that's in Texas.

Google GAHH or World Upholstery for interior

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom