Builders Question - Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

Does anybody know if you can get Square Gutter Down-pipe fittings that allow you to swivel the pipe ?

I had to have some storm drains moved about a foot from the previous corners of the house to allow for some brickwork cladding to be built. This now means that the existing guttering would no longer fit on the vertical down the corners of the house.

I do not want to start replacing the existing guttering if I can simply tweek the downpipes by having a swivel where it joins the gutter.

Do you mean something like this to offset to one side...

black-square-offset-bend-downpipe-angle-3000006-0-1295625508000.jpg

Need a picture. Can't work out what you are after, unless you are saying the new drain is around the corner from the existing downpipe?

If I understand correctly the corners have moved out in both directions, ie out from the wall and then to the left/right as well so you need a diagonal.

Using the above, bring the angled section in to the wall so it lines up in one axis, then use another one "sideways" so it lines up on the other.

If that made any sense! :crazy:

Last edited:
Not easy to explain, so my apologies. The existing drain has been moved about 1 foot left (then the same on the other side of the house) So my existing down pipe is now vertical but short of the drain. I figured if I could get the angle at the roof overhang it would look like it was meant to be that way. I dont want to move the/replace the existing guttering. So by being able to add a swivel I could have angled the down pipe where it turns under the roof to met the corner of the house.

Now I am thinking that hoppers may give that movement and look like they were always there. Hadn't thought of that.

__ Roof Overhang
|
\
|
|
|
/
|
|
Drain

Seen from the front of the house this what it looks like. The down pipe angles in under the roof, runs down the wall, the angles out over the brick work, then down into the drain. Except the drain has moved forward by about a foot.

Come on Bruce - get the camera out - we like photo based info requests.

Does your cladding look like this, a la Jack & Vera

image-4282814996.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Two of what David showed in post #2 linked back-to-back should move the pipe sideways just about right.

Interesting postbox. Or is that on Alices property? ;)

Last edited:
Druk, David

Thank you. I was trying to avoid it looking like it is made up of angle joints by moving it at the roof line then coming vertically down the wall.

The Post Box matches the 1936 Red Phone Box. A strange fetish that must point to something I guess.

Don't angle it at the roof line, angle it where the drain is so you won't even notice.

That doesn't look like a gully Bruce - more like an underground soil fitting.

It's going to be hard to "grill off" to keep the crud out, with it being partially obscured by the brickwork.

#16 ^ That's what I thought too. You could enter two or so inches of pipe into the hole then caulk it with rope and capped with cement as they did in the good-ol-days.

A stop end outlet as opposed to the running outlet on the gutter might do the trick but you'd need to measure it first to be sure

We're overthinking this.

Bruce just use two of the angles already posted...connected to the existing plate (suitably trimmed to fit against the house) at the end of the down spout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom