Building a 2.8 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedes W460

Car
Honda civic em1
Hello I'm thinking of building a 2.8 I think it's a m104 never built an engine before the engine is seized or locked or something any way would it be a good engine to learn on no idea what tools I need or stuff like that thanks

I'm at college doing a mechanics course they do not teach you how to build engines there

I suppose it has a bit of everything, multi-valve head, variable cam timing(ish) so may be a good one to practice on. Personally, unless you have a car to put it in, I'd have gone for a 4 cylinder engine as you won't learn any more from rebuilding 6 cylinders.

I would put it on the back burner for a while, if you have no idea about engine building, could end up as a money pit

I'm at college doing a mechanics course they do not teach you how to build engines there

I take it that the college course is more about theory than actual "hands on" learning? If I was in your position, I would try to find a garage that will take you on as an apprentice. You will learn more there than you will in the classroom.

Best thing I ever did.

Last edited:
If I had a 4 cylinder I would try it but I have the merc engine it will most likely go to the scrap I want to do this because I would like to build performance engines for myself in the future I thought I would need to learn how to build a standard engine first maybe ask my teacher if there is any class for this thanks

Yes it would be the right thing to do but there is very little people that does this in my area

Yes I work in a garage but in Ireland it is cheaper to buy a used engine then build one the only people who build engines here is for vintage tractors or cars and some performance cars

Yes I work in a garage but in Ireland it is cheaper to buy a used engine then build one the only people who build engines here is for vintage tractors or cars and some performance cars

Your garage must get a few cambelt changes, head gaskets, ect, to repair though?

Last edited:
Get hold of a lawnmower engine or something similar to practice on. A lot easier handled than a big six. Once you have mastered the fiddly stuff like piston rings, valve collets, etc, let rip and strip the six. That way you will have a better idea of how to tackle the six and and can decide as you go along if rebuilding it is what you want to do.
By the time you have rebuilt the lawnmower engine, you will have a fair idea how it all has to be to run properly and contain its fluids.

No head gaskets some cam belts are garage sort of only works on Mercedes g wagons maybe some thing else when not busy

Yes a lawnmower engine would be I. Know some who works on lawnmower chainsaws on stuff like that maybe he would some old thing that he does not need thanks for the advice. another ? For everyone does a 1998 c43amg have 2 or 4 o2 sensors thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom