building a pool room

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by jonnyboy, May 4, 2010.

1. jonnyboy

jonnyboy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    Hi all

We are shortly to break ground on a complex extension.

We have at the moment a 17'8 by 9'6 single storey games room included in our plans. Widening it will be no problem (trust me!). What do you reckon its minimum width needs to be if I want to put a "normal" sized pool table in there?

Cheers

John

2. NICKYB

NICKYB Active Member

Car:
    230 clk conv
    All depends what kind of pool table you go for, I have no experiance of this but i would go at least 4 times (min) the size of the table you buy...
    Nothing worse than a pool table in a tight awkard spot - avoiding walls etc... to try and play.

3. Ade B

Ade B MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
  4. EDZ649

EDZ649 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL600 V12
    John, I have a full size pool table/dining table in my dining room. It's 7' X 4' and the width of the room is only just over 12'. I can't use full length cue's so I bought 48' cue's which work fine all around the table without hitting the walls anywhere. If you want to use full length cue's (54"/57") then you will need to make the room a bit wider.

If your going for a pub type table (6' X 3' I think) then obviously you can get away with narrower width.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  5. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    The room should be a minimum of the length of the table plus double the length of a full size cue, and the other should be the width of the table plus double a full size cue. I was considering a full size snooker table and would need a room of 22' x 16' at least.

6. EDZ649

EDZ649 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL600 V12
    Why? If there is enough room to use a cue without hitting a wall and plenty of room to walk around it why does it need to be so big? Are you quoting the official rules? I don't think John is worried about that, he just wants to be able to play without being hindered.:)

7. corned

corned MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    Please take my advice. Whatever number you arrive at, add at least another metre!

Someone I know built an extension to their house and it was sized specifically to accommodate a full-size snooker table downstairs. He did all the calculations over and over, and the result was that the table fitted perfectly - but he didn't allow sufficient width to fully accommodate playing room around it... Another metre width would have made all the difference. :doh:

1 person likes this.
  8. renault12ts

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Sorry for the confusion. I was quoting the size for a 12' x 6' snooker table with full size cues. The dimensions for pool are as stated, the length of the table plus the length of two cues. So for 7' pool table the room would need to be at least 17' long (assuming a cue is 60" long).

9. LTD

LTD MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    If you opt for the table plus two cues as a minimum then you have made no allowance for chairs, tables, bar etc.

10. renault12ts

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Correct, which is why it's a minimum.