Building regs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
Is there anyone on this forum who can give me a little building regs advice.
Last weekend my neighbour on our adjoining wall had a builder to build 8 pillars consisting of two bricks per course to a max of 1.2 m high, at the time I commented that the cement mortar mix looked very grey like cement dust and not blending into the other brick work, I also noticed once the cement was dry the pillars could be rocked, the builder on leaving said be careful when inserted fence panels inbetween the pillars as not to disturb the pillars, today while installing the vert last fence panel the pillar toppled and brushed past my shoulder....talk about shocked ! Now my question, My way of thinking is that vertical reinforcement rods should of been installed to stabalize the pillars particulary if there was any doubt about the strength and also regardless of been careful installing the fence panels thinking about it now if a gust of wind caught the panels it would pull the entire section of wall down in its weakest part and from expereince in ten years we have replaced several panels on the other fence due to storm damage. Any help or guidance please.

Some cracking web sites there Aletank.

i dont think building regs even apply to fence posts!

Any building work..within 6 meters of your property is subject to the party wall act.. I will send you the relevent peices if you wish.. however I think you might ask your neigbour to remove them if you think they are unsafe.. You can serve a notice under the act requireing the works to be inspected by an arcitect.. cirtainly if one has fallen over.. the others would be suspect..

Pillars should be 370wide, preferably with rods as reinforcement,to take pannels. These act like sails and will pull the wall over in strong wind. Talk to your neighbour in a friendly way and discuss it, believe me it's better to keep things amiable, I have seen many situations where things go nasty (and costly with solicitors) when some civil talking could have done the trick.
Life's too short. :)

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to answer, the builder is coming down Thursday night to see my neighbour and my neighbour has asked if I will be present, I particulary like the "Pillars should be 370wide preferably with rods as reinforcement to take pannels", I shall bring this point up, once again thanks very much to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom