Building your dream car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
The more I look at cars, or look for something else interesting, the more I understand what this guy has done.

Modern cars are now so incredibly fast and capable that much of the fun of driving has been completely lost. This video captures some of that.

I don't fully understand the Millions that many of these genuine old cars sell for but that's life, but I have grown to understand the appeal of cars like the Singer 911's. Even still, they are vast amounts of money.

The sound of the engine alone makes this video worth watching. There are plenty of petrol heads on here that will just enjoy what this guy has done and why he did it. I get it completely.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Agree.
I've often struggled to know what to look at for my next cars; all those with 500, 600bhp are great BUT they're so fast and capable as to be no fun at all on public pot-holed roads. Probably why I still have my TVR after 15 years and find myself looking at things like Caterhams again. Not very practical (well, according to the Boss) but great fun even at speeds such as 30 or 40mph. Deresticted Autobahns are a different thing though.

The last line says it all, this is as much about the man as it is about the car....

.........it's good to be different! :D

Thanks OP it was great to watch, it makes me envisage my dream of when the kids move out and i retire bringing all my tools home from work of sitting in the garage restoring what will probably be my last car.

The problem is i haven't decided what the car will be yet but i probably have another 30 years to decide especially with the IQ level of children these days. Xbox and games consoles have ruined them not like when i was a kid, the Nintendo only worked half the time and to get it to work the other half you had to become an electronics engineer at the age of 8 and when you got the working you had to repair the TV .... i think kids just don't get as electricuted as much as they need these days :D

Petrolicious has some lovely things shown. I recall a video about a chap who'd bought a Lamborghini something from the 70s to tidy up to sell for a small profit, and 30 years later of constant breakdowns and issues still had it. He mentioned the psychologists' term for it being traumatic bonding, which resonated with me as a Citroen SM owner.

I've had much more joy out of classics than modern cars, most probably because I have done a lot of work to them and because I don't need them daily. The car that gave me the most smiles per mile was my Abarth engined Fiat 127. A one litre engine putting out 70bhp in a 700kg car could never be called quick, but with a gorgeous induction sound and an Abarth exhaust it was absolutely hilarious. I never needed to worry about the speed limit, could hammer it all the time without issue, and it turned every journey into an opera. Had it not been for cramped interior, I would have kept it. It made so many people smile.

Something doesn't need to be powerful to be fun, and having spent Sunday at the VSCC tests at Brooklands, it doesn't need to be fast either. Watching a young lady pilot her 1910 RR Silver Ghost Taj Mahal around cones and up the hill, slowly, but gracefully, it was a joy.

It's nice and a lot of work went into it yada, yada but I wouldn't badge it as Ferrari, full stop.

Check out Ring Brothers when you have some free time.

It's nice and a lot of work went into it yada, yada but I wouldn't badge it as Ferrari, full stop.

Why not? it appears to be built using mainly Ferrari parts, if not all Ferrari parts using a shell made for Ferrari that was never delivered.

It's not a replica or a fake, it's a recreation using genuine mostly period parts, not necessarily designed for this car but nonetheless manufactured by Ferrari.

However it can never be sold as a "Ferrari 250TR". The thing is, does that matter? That's the point, it just doesn't matter.

The Ring Brothers tend to build show pieces that can't really be driven in the real world (see Matt Farah's review of their Pantera build), this Ferrari Build is the exact opposite, simply built to drive and enjoy, they aren't even comparable.

Why not? it appears to be built using mainly Ferrari parts, if not all Ferrari parts using a shell made for Ferrari that was never delivered.
It's not a replica or a fake, it's a recreation using genuine mostly period parts, not necessarily designed for this car but nonetheless manufactured by Ferrari.
However it can never be sold as a "Ferrari 250TR". The thing is, does that matter? That's the point, it just doesn't matter.
this Ferrari Build is the exact opposite, simply built to drive and enjoy, they aren't even comparable.

My sentiments exactly. Plus as its not worth £35mil the guy can use it, enjoy it and other people can see and enjoy it too. If he'd had it made at no expense spared I don't think I'd admire it as much but as its pretty much his own hard work I only have respect.

A Roten Sau is a recreation. This is something put together based on historic pictures using modern tech (like CNC'ing some parts) and adding artificial patina to it. It's still a lot of work of course but he wanted it to look like a $35M car so this is why it matters.

The Ring Brothers tend to build show pieces that can't really be driven in the real world (see Matt Farah's review of their Pantera build), this Ferrari Build is the exact opposite, simply built to drive and enjoy, they aren't even comparable.

This one?

Why can't it be driven in the real world? The reviewer kept going on about the leg room or the steering rack but he is a pretty big guy and barely fits inside. He did a review of a twin turbocharged SLS some time ago. All he does is drives it around in circles, while chit-chatting to the tuning company's boss. Nothing even remotely technical or entertaining for a car of that calibre. I wouldn't take his word as a 'be all end all' in the world of anything automotive, let alone custom built motors.

If Ferrari as as protective of their brand as Rolls Royce he'd better be careful. Remember John Dodd and his Merlin engined road car? RR took him to court (and won) for trademark infringement as the car had a Roller grille and bonnet ornament.

It's worth reading the article just to get an idea of Dodd's personality and attitude to 'establishment authority' :)

If Ferrari as as protective of their brand as Rolls Royce he'd better be careful. Remember John Dodd and his Merlin engined road car? RR took him to court (and won) for trademark infringement as the car had a Roller grille and bonnet ornament.

It's worth reading the article just to get an idea of Dodd's personality and attitude to 'establishment authority' :)

They are very litigious, they've stopped pretty much every 250GTO replica/recreation so far. However these are businesses, making products trading on their intellectual property.

They seem to be less concerned when someone creates something for their own use and not for financial gain.

A Roten Sau is a recreation. This is something put together based on historic pictures using modern tech (like CNC'ing some parts) and adding artificial patina to it. It's still a lot of work of course but he wanted it to look like a $35M car so this is why it matters.

The fundamental difference being this chap has built something for his own/use enjoyment simply as he didn't have $35m to buy one of the 5 real ones that exist. It is/was a labour of love to manufacture something he could otherwise never have. He is not selling it, he is not representing it to anybody else as something it isn't, there will be no financial gain.

The Ring Brothers are a business.

There is a fundamental difference between these two. Or you may simply just not "get it". Which is fair enough as not everybody does.

The fundamental difference being this chap has built something for his own/use enjoyment simply as he didn't have $35m to buy one of the 5 real ones that exist. It is/was a labour of love to manufacture something he could otherwise never have. He is not selling it, he is not representing it to anybody else as something it isn't, there will be no financial gain.

The Ring Brothers are a business.

There is a fundamental difference between these two. Or you may simply just not "get it". Which is fair enough as not everybody does.

I didn't talk about any financial gains. My point was and still is about validity of the Ferrari badges. If he left them out, there wouldn't be an argument. There's nothing else to it and I 'get it' - it's a great build.

Did Chris Rea not recreate a ferrari? A very rare one built from blueprints or something? He had no issues.
Not 100% sure it was a farrari though:D

Did Chris Rea not recreate a ferrari? A very rare one built from blueprints or something? He had no issues.
Not 100% sure it was a farrari though:D

Chris Rea, had a Shark Nose F1 Ferrari built using the original Ferrari blueprints and help from Ferrari engineers (past and present). It is Ferrari as it uses the drawings, engine etc.

I would also argue that this car is a Ferrari as it uses a Ferrari body, Ferrari engine and many "other" Ferrari parts. Had it been assembled in the Ferrari Factory there would be no discussion. I mean we have Guy Martin building (ho ho ho) a Spitfire where the only original parts were some salt encrusted rust held together with rust. But it is still called a Spitfire and carries the Spitfire price tag etc.

Then we can get into AMG's real or not. Boy does that cause some arguments, given that AMG themselves often cannot verify provenance, heritage etc.

It looks like it. It smells like it. It feels like it. It tastes like it.................. Thank goodness I never trod in it.....

My dream car today is still 'new' Broadley T76.

To have a race car based on original blueprints and panel molds made by experienced engineers who worked with the founder - today in 2018 - is special in a way a modern car can never.

I don't see how you could comfortably drive a car worth millions for fear of breaking or crashing it - yet here we have something that wants to be DRIVEN - HARD!

OP, lovely find. Just the sound of the engine at the start of the video is to die for. I find this more honest and sympathetic than any commercial recreation. The owner is in awe of Fangio and the likes who raced these cars and he has built this out of personal passion. He did not second guess what a future potential owner might like and try to make a recreation which could sell well or be a good investment. He built it purely for the way he wanted it to be and as close to the real thing as he could practically make it.

They are very litigious, they've stopped pretty much every 250GTO replica/recreation so far. However these are businesses, making products trading on their intellectual property.

They seem to be less concerned when someone creates something for their own use and not for financial gain.

Indeed and Ferrari are open minded enough to approve one-offs, where they are made out of passion. See Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina - Wikipedia . In EVO it mentioned that Ferrari inspected it and gave approval for it to be called Ferrari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom