Built in Dashcam- Mercedes CLA - 2019- Not recording in UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELIAS31

Car
MERCEDES CLA 220
My CLA 220 comes with a built in dash cam, for the augmented Sat Nav. The manual makes it clear that you can record in a memory stick, but the option is not available in my car. I called Merc customer services who said that apparently it was a business decision not to release the feature in UK.

I argued with them over the phone and placed a formal complaint. I asked them what the rationale was behind their decision but they couldn't reply. I told them that it's unacceptable spending £ 35K for a new car that comes with a dash cam only to have to install an external dash cam in order to be able to record.
It's totally absurd. All they would have to do is authorise an over the air update of the system and get the app installed in the car.

I think that we should all complain and get them to offer the app whether unpaid or even paid.

This is really bad and deplorable customer service from Mercedes, showing nothing but contempt for their customers. In the first place all new cars should come with a built recording dash cam. It should be as basic as the seat belts.

Was the dash cam listed as a feature? If not...then you'll get nowhere and have no claim. The manual probably also advises that not all features are available in all markets.

Was the dash cam listed as a feature? If not...then you'll get nowhere and have no claim. The manual probably also advises that not all features are available in all markets.
Yes, the dashcam was listed as a feature.

I don't want a dash cam fitted in my car.
Cars with them fitted seem to get in a lot of accidents...
What you're saying is that effectively the dash cams act as an accident magnet. Makes so much sense as asking " What is the smell of yellow?"

What you're saying is that effectively the dash cams act as an accident magnet. Makes so much sense as asking " What is the smell of yellow?"
Smells like sunshine ..

@Alfie or @richard at Comand may be able to activate it for you

This is really bad and deplorable customer service from Mercedes, showing nothing but contempt for their customers.

Why is it? Every car has regional variances and it has been made clear that this is a UK regional difference in that they have not made it available. In the UK its purpose is not to be a dash cam, it is to be an AR camera for the Sat Nav. As such it is providing the service they provide. They will not start switching on functions not for that region for individuals as it causes all sorts of issues within the supply and maintenance chain.

As it has been pointed out, there are legal and ethical responsibilities when it comes to manufacturers supplying built in dash cams. They are not a UK legislative requirement like seat belts so in no way are they the same thing.

By all means get a 3rd party to activate it, but MB are in no way responsible for footing the bill for you doing so, or warranting the camera should anything go wrong with it following its re-configuration. Its probably the route I would go down as risks are low and it saves buying another camera.

I feel your expectations of manufacturer configuration are set a little high here and there is a good easy alternative way to achieve what you want.

Where is the dash cam feature mentioned? What section of the handbook, what part of the e-brochure?

I agree that this is unacceptable for Mercedes to advertise the feature and for it to actually be available (but disabled) in the MBUX system. Any argument about legality is brushed away as manufacturers such as Tesla have built in dashcams and face no legal qualms. Seemingly yet another feature missing from the UK spec. Have you found you’re missing the “interior assistant” too?

I don't want a dash cam fitted in my car.
Cars with them fitted seem to get in a lot of accidents...
American car manufacturers in the 1950s refused to fit seat belts , saying that implied their cars were unsafe .

Same poor logic .

My CLA 220 comes with a built in dash cam, for the augmented Sat Nav. The manual makes it clear that you can record in a memory stick, but the option is not available in my car. I called Merc customer services who said that apparently it was a business decision not to release the feature in UK.

I argued with them over the phone and placed a formal complaint. I asked them what the rationale was behind their decision but they couldn't reply. I told them that it's unacceptable spending £ 35K for a new car that comes with a dash cam only to have to install an external dash cam in order to be able to record.
It's totally absurd. All they would have to do is authorise an over the air update of the system and get the app installed in the car.

I think that we should all complain and get them to offer the app whether unpaid or even paid.

This is really bad and deplorable customer service from Mercedes, showing nothing but contempt for their customers. In the first place all new cars should come with a built recording dash cam. It should be as basic as the seat belts.
If you don’t like this , you are free to buy a different car .

American car manufacturers in the 1950s refused to fit seat belts , saying that implied their cars were unsafe .

Same poor logic .
But different tongue in cheek ..

Grumpy Derek this morning?

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom