Built in single electric oven and electric hob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
After 20 years in the apartment, the time has come to replace an oven and a hob.
In spite of calls to the manufacturer's helpline, I am still wondering about the necessary clearance between a single built in electric oven and induction hob.
A hob above a drawer with the dividing panel = 10mm per install diagram
A hob above an oven = 20mm per a verbal discussion over the phone and an email
The worktop is 40mm thick. The current hob's fixing points project down 2mm
The single oven hole is 600mm tall plus/minus 2mm
Looking at the technical drawings on their website I have 30mm from the top of the oven to the top of the oven hole.
The problem is that any induction hob is likely to be 52mm deep which is 12mm below the underside of the worktop.
So 30mm - 12mm = 18mm or may be less when the minimum is set at 20mm.
I am a little mystified as to why the manufacturers can sell products that do not fit according to their install instructions/tolerances.
I don't want to order something that will have its safety compromised because the products are too close.
Particularly do not want the induction hob to start heating up the oven!!!
Any experiences/comments are welcome!

Will the induction hob have a gasket that lifts it slightly above the worktop surface.. If so it might raise it by the 2mm you need.

Will the induction hob have a gasket that lifts it slightly above the worktop surface.. If so it might raise it by the 2mm you need.
That is a potential possibility. I received the install instructions from the technical helpline after getting through the online chatbot and duty droid. I think I am going to be OK on this as there is NO clear guidance on the clearance required. I figure so long as I increase the ventilation/air circulation, then I should be OK. The installation fees for both appliances have convinced me that I could do the job myself.

Well having fitted at least 4 hobs and built in ovens, I believe you are over thinking this,I have always found that the 40mm work surface is enough to keep the bottom of the hob away from the top of the oven,I would fit them yourself, many of the electric ovens come with just a 13amp plug on them and it is the induction hob that needs the cooker cable,some hobs came with the cable fitted so that it can be hard wired into the cooker outlet,but if you have already got the cable supplying the old hob then use that into the new hob.:D

Been there many times & yes, easy to overthink.
I believe manufacturers will sell you a divider to go between the hob & the oven or drawer below.
But, I've never seen one installed. I usually try to improve ventilation, cutting out the top rail of the base unit (which is usually mostly cut away anyway to accommodate the hob).
Most induction hob need the fat cable hard wired into the cooker outlet but there are some more basic ones which come with a 13A plug.

Possibly a daft suggestion but I assume you have taken the measurement of the “body” of the oven and not the “face”?

Otherwise, if it really is that tight a d you’re not happy, why not drop the shelf the oven sits on by 5mm amd adjust the drawer front to suit?

And while on the subject of appliances, why do they make the gubbins on the back of a dishwasher so big that you end up having to chop out half the wall behind for it to fit?!
Worktops are 600-620 deep. No dishwasher should not be able to fit under one comfortably. Sounds a strange issue I've never come across.

The dishwasher does, it’s just they don’t allow for a the waste pipe sitting 50-60mm from the wall...
Get you. Generally I put waste pipes to the side...connecting into the sink waste if possible. The number of time you see washing machines and d/w sticking out is unbelievable. And in these cases I blame the fitter...it's not as if this isn't a common occurence.

Get you. Generally I put waste pipes to the side...connecting into the sink waste if possible. The number of time you see washing machines and d/w sticking out is unbelievable. And in these cases I blame the fitter...it's not as if this isn't a common occurence.
My sink is in an island and the dishwasher is at the side of a 3 drawer pack and 9x9 L-shaped corner unit so no space to either side.

And while on the subject of appliances, why do they make the gubbins on the back of a dishwasher so big that you end up having to chop out half the wall behind for it to fit?!
Agreed. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve fitted kitchens and had to re-route pipe work. Worktops may well be 600 deep but carcasses are generally 560 which makes for a very tight fit for most dishwashers.
Another pet hate is the height of the damn things. The legs never quite adjust enough to lift the thing to underside of worktop so need to build up the difference with an off-cut of worktop. 😤

Agreed. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve fitted kitchens and had to re-route pipe work. Worktops may well be 600 deep but carcasses are generally 560 which makes for a very tight fit for most dishwashers.
Another pet hate is the height of the damn things. The legs never quite adjust enough to lift the thing to underside of worktop so need to build up the difference with an off-cut of worktop. 😤
In one property I found that two water pipes and two central heating pipes ran underneath the dishwasher so when it failed I could not remove it without unbolting the worktop and wedging that to give me enough clearance to pull the old dishwasher up, and over the pipes.

In one property I found that two water pipes and two central heating pipes ran underneath the dishwasher so when it failed I could not remove it without unbolting the worktop and wedging that to give me enough clearance to pull the old dishwasher up, and over the pipes.
Bl00dy Plumbers. 🙄

I’d have just retracted the legs right up and slid the whole thing over the pipes. 😁

We have all had fun fitting kitchens and appliances,the op should find no trouble fitting the hob,the only slight worry I have is if this kitchen is 20 odd years old the hob opening may not be the right size,but hey it 's all part of the problems of fitting new into a old kitchen,I once bought a new kitchen for a rental flat only to find that on the ouside landing there was a cupboard which extended into the kitchen and was brick built just where the kitchen sink had to go,had to knock that out and then breeze block the outside hole and let the locked wooden door of the cupboard stay in place on the landing,so it all looked the same.

Bl00dy Plumbers. 🙄

I’d have just retracted the legs right up and slid the whole thing over the pipes. 😁
Two problems there.

The front and rear legs were already fully in plus the dishwasher was a very old one and around 5mm taller than the one I replaced it with (which had a far wider range of adjustments) and it was virtually touching the worktop and there was no headroom at all to tilt or wriggle it out because the rear was catching.

I had to unscrew about 8 brackets holding the worktop to the base units and wedge the worktop at the front and when all done then had to cut out and re mastic :) I did call the "Plumber" some rather choice names :)

Anything is possible with a little ingenuity. When I fitted our new kitchen we had a microwave/fan oven stacked over a single fan oven in a tall housing unit. The Mrs found the microwave a little too high up so I jacked the sides of the unit apart to get the support shelves out and refit them 40mm lower. Having already levelled the whole run of units up I also lowered them as far as the shortest leg would go and re-levelled everything which gained her another 25mm. A lot of work but she will have to live with this kitchen for a long time.

I would never tolerate a dishwasher or washing machine that stuck out beyond the work top. Sure sign of a lazy or amateur job. Before buying the appliance you check it's depth !

Anything is possible with a little ingenuity. When I fitted our new kitchen we had a microwave/fan oven stacked over a single fan oven in a tall housing unit. The Mrs found the microwave a little too high up so I jacked the sides of the unit apart to get the support shelves out and refit them 40mm lower. Having already levelled the whole run of units up I also lowered them as far as the shortest leg would go and re-levelled everything which gained her another 25mm. A lot of work but she will have to live with this kitchen for a long time.

I would never tolerate a dishwasher or washing machine that stuck out beyond the work top. Sure sign of a lazy or amateur job. Before buying the appliance you check it's depth !
You should’ve just bought Mrs 190 some platform shoes. 😊

Worst we had was a dish washer from a well known 'premium' store and my wife insisted that now I am in my late 70's we would be well advised to have their fitters fit it.
The machine arrived and stood packaged in our hall for a week.
Fitters arrived and literally smashed out the old one.
Turned to the new one only to find it was badly damaged inside the packaging.
Ordered up a new one, two weeks delivery.
Fitters arrived and installed but couldn't level panels above and below machine. Decided supplied spacers were wrong and ordered up new ones.
Long wait and fitters arrived, still couldn't fit and then left for next job.
We went into store and complained and they said they would send their crack team.
Eventually they arrived (with Supervisor) and decided alternative spacers would do the trick.
They were ordered and in due course the 'crack' team arrived again.
Oh dear 'we ordered the wrong part' and was reordered.
By the time that arrived we had had enough.
Remember I'd been instructed not to fit it but I laid on the floor with a torch and found the first fitters had pushed the machine in with the rear feet sitting on top of the water hose.
Pulled the machine out, repositioned it, and fitted the spacers originally supplied with the machine.
Age sometimes counts for a lot, just recheck every fitting stage.
The only bonus was that we did get a voucher towards a new tv.

Crikey, I thought I asked a simple question! Thanks for all the advice, even the stuff about the other things! Routing stuff around pipework has always been a pain for the washing machine which has been replaced twice. My own bug bear is that the built in appliances need to have the fake door front refitted and every time its a real pain as the holes never match up. I had to buy myself one of those special drill bits. When someone threw their old kitchen in a skip, I went in for a rummage and pulled out 2 doors of the correct finish which I stored away in case of need. But trying to source a new water cistern that cracked after 15 years without replacing the entire toilet / bidet / wood trunking for the waste pipes... don't go there... it was stressful but I got the exact replacement off ebay from a recovered 2nd hand loo for £70.

Now the fun starts tomorrow as the goods turn up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom