Bullitt Car Chase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Barry Foster also played the baddie in Hitchcock's "Frenzy"
He had quite a career playing baddies before becoming VdV .

He had quite a career playing baddies before becoming VdV .

He played a goodie in 1969 when he featured as the Squadron Leader training the (Repeat Please !) Polish squadron in The Battle Of Britain.

Not that that has anything to do with Bullitt of course.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: 219
Good chase, terribly continuity :D

Didn't 8 wheel caps fall off one car IIRC ?

So what ......60's movie - there is cr@p continuity in modern films and they have access to much better cameras, editing equipment etc these days.....

So what ......60's movie - there is cr@p continuity in modern films and they have access to much better cameras, editing equipment etc these days.....

Now you have to wait for the remake and Kojak MKII = Vin Diesel plays Franco Bullitt :eek:

Last edited:
IIRC- SMcQ did all his own driving AND the special effects were real and not CGI...Oh how I miss the days where men were men and not millennials....

Sadly something that most people born after 1995 (ish) will never understand.

There are not many chase flix who can out run 1976 Cannonball with David Carradine.
There's no CGI crap, just pure action, hot chicks and cool cars.

Best thing is that you can watch it for free on Youtube if you haven't seen Cannonball.
This movie has to be watched before you grow old!! ;) :cool:

Panavision 35mm cameras are as good as anything you’ll get these days , and 70mm even better ; as for editing , you are frame accurate on a film editing table so no issues there either .
There were plenty of cameras covering the Bullit car chase , so really no excuse for such poor editing .

The old sayings are the best : skilful editing can turn a good film into a great film ; an average film into a good film ; and a bad film into a short film .

As for film quality , go see the current release of Apollo 11 ; assembled from the 1100 hours of archived 70mm footage shot by NASA at the time .

There are not many chase flix who can out run 1976 Cannonball with David Carradine.
There's no CGI crap, just pure action, hot chicks and cool cars.

And added tyre squeal - on gravel FFS.

There were plenty of cameras covering the Bullit car chase , so really no excuse for such poor editing .

I see it as pretty normal.

Bond films have had issues - and also some cheap and nasty speeding up of frame rates for chases and collisions - and intersections with studio shots.

Top Gun's air battle narratives don't fit the actual backdrops and there's the issue of continuity as well.

Liberties are widely taken in movies.

The street shots with Bullitt are quite limited. So the excuse is that with just a few setups they managed to produce an extended sequence by reusing different shots - and the cuts from inside car to outside car shots are not done badly to achieve that. I haven't seen a 'making of' type documentary but I would guess that editors knowingly took liberties to achieve what is one of the most memorable movie chases from the period. It was 'of its time' and part of the evolution of movie making.

We take a lot for granted now. ISTR that the in the 70s Sweeney was seen as quite advanced in its approach to 'live' camerawork. In their day Bullitt and the French Connection were noted for their car chases and style - and later on Ronin still stands as another evolutionary step for those of us who were about when it was fresh.

The technology had little to do with it ; I remember thinking , even back at the time , that the obvious re use of shots in Bullit was particularly bad .

Compare the very similar chase in The Rock where Nic Cage is in the Ferrari chasing Connery in the Humvee through very similar if not the same streets , yes there was CGI , but very little repetition

... I remember thinking , even back at the time , that the obvious re use of shots in Bullit was particularly bad................... .

You must be really old with a really good memory:).

I saw it as a teenager in the sixties and the only thing I can remember about it was enjoying the car chase, loving the movie and drooling over the Mustang.

You must be really old with a really good memory:).

I saw it as a teenager in the sixties and the only thing I can remember about it was enjoying the car chase, loving the movie and drooling over the Mustang.
I was 11 when it came out , and i remember clearly seeing the same shots used over and thinking how bad it was .

Deleted - duplicate message.

And added tyre squeal - on gravel FFS.

I don't know how many times I have watched this flick since I was 8 years old?
And I still love it since day one!

There's lots of tire squeal and V8 rumble.
The jump over the unfinished freeway with the black Charger and the green Stang is really cool, perhaps the producers of Speed borrowed some ideas for their bus jump stunt?

Gotta love the yellow Pantera, Green Mustang, black 68 Charger and the two red Poniac Firebird's and lots of other cool cars through this movie. :) :) :) :) :) 5 out of 5

It must just be me but I find car chases and action movies banal. Skids (the driving never rises above that level) bangs and flashes don't do much for me and the only car related film I have any time for (though it's so long since I've seen it if I saw it today I might not rate it all) is Two Lane Blacktop.
(I make an exception for some of the motorsport films from the 60/70s probably because they have the drivers at their heart).

It must just be me but I find car chases and action movies banal. Skids (the driving never rises above that level) bangs and flashes don't do much for me and the only car related film I have any time for (though it's so long since I've seen it if I saw it today I might not rate it all) is Two Lane Blacktop.
(I make an exception for some of the motorsport films from the 60/70s probably because they have the drivers at their heart).
I loved Two Lane Blacktop , the two car jockeys ( Peter Fonda and his pal ) versus the guy in the Gto , who couldn’t have been more up his own ar$e without being inside out - possibly the greatest road movie .

MB movie trivia time. Some of the car interior shots in Ronin's Paris chase were shot using cut-down shells of the BMW and Peugeot, towed at high speed behind a 500E :)

I loved Two Lane Blacktop , the two car jockeys ( Peter Fonda and his pal ) versus the guy in the Gto , who couldn’t have been more up his own ar$e without being inside out - possibly the greatest road movie .

Do you refer to Dirty Mary crazy Larry when Fonda drives a green Charger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom