bumper paint scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lii88

Car
C63 S
Hi All,

As im new to the UK ( moved here last year ) i really dont know any bodyshops around London area. I came back to my car and saw that the paint was off on the bumper, needless to say im furious but also cant stand the fact that its "imperfect".

Can anyone recommend places to get the bumper fixed, im a bit concerned on color matching but probably should be least of my worries.. ? also what do you think this will cost?

Thanks!
Danny

Attachments

• scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 67
Hi All,

As im new to the UK ( moved here last year ) i really dont know any bodyshops around London area. I came back to my car and saw that the paint was off on the bumper, needless to say im furious but also cant stand the fact that its "imperfect".

Can anyone recommend places to get the bumper fixed, im a bit concerned on color matching but probably should be least of my worries.. ? also what do you think this will cost?

Thanks!
Danny

I always used Cross Lane Autos in north london, good quality and very reasonable 020 3638 3478

I've done my valance which looks just the same as your picture. I've not had it repaired yet But having used chips away in the past, they will be getting my business again. As for cost it's about £200 but it's done at your premises and only takes 3-4 hrs max

Its a very straight forward repair for an experienced mobile SMART repairer.

I charge those out at £160, so about £180 - £200 in London.

Not sure which part of London you live, but this guy (Simon) is very good if you are the Surrey side of London:

http://www.chipandpaintrepairs.co.uk/

Last edited:
Where do you live - if it's north / north west london I have a great place I can reccomend

I wouldn't use a smart repairer there there for convenience not so much quality I mean come on there painting it outside take it to a Mercedes approved body shop for peace of mind we are and it will cost around £200-250 for a corner bumper and will look like new and importantly last aswell

I wouldn't use a smart repairer there there for convenience not so much quality I mean come on there painting it outside take it to a Mercedes approved body shop for peace of mind we are and it will cost around £200-250 for a corner bumper and will look like new and importantly last aswell

There is no reason why a well executed SMART repair to a corner of a bumper cannot look as good as a bodyshop job, with the correct preparation and finish off.

In any event a bodyshop would probably want to respray the whole bumper and charge accordingly!

I always used Cross Lane Autos in north london, good quality and very reasonable 020 3638 3478

Thanks i will check these guys out! so far ive been quoted 500 pounds from a bodyshop, and mercedes said it might cost me 1000...which sounds ridiculous :/

Where do you live - if it's north / north west london I have a great place I can reccomend

north london, near hampstead, let me know the place :)

Ive googled around a bit for mercedes approved bodyshop, but not really 100% sure which ones are approved or which ones just say, if you know of one please let me know thanks!

There is no reason why a well executed SMART repair to a corner of a bumper cannot look as good as a bodyshop job, with the correct preparation and finish off.

In any event a bodyshop would probably want to respray the whole bumper and charge accordingly!

I've worked as a smart repairer before and currently do now but it's a self contained oven on the same site as are bodyshop they use me for corner bumpers mostly, so no it wouldn't need the whole bumper doing, and smart repairers are just a convience, why would you want your car repaired with extra fast hardeners fast lacquers ect all that to save time and dry fast at the cost of quality and it will dull off and worst of all its outside in the open, come on mate be sensible it's OK on an old banger your trying to sell or a clueless old person but in reality getting it done at a bodyshop is the only way to do it with good quality materials.

Ive googled around a bit for mercedes approved bodyshop, but not really 100% sure which ones are approved or which ones just say, if you know of one please let me know thanks!

I work at cotswold branch for BMW and we're Mercedes approved if not us then ring Mercedes and ask them they will be sure to help you out.

Bit of advice to be Mercedes approved you have to have a glasurit paint scheme and all primers ect, Mercedes are really fussy about what paint to use, so if a bodyshop is approved they will have the glasurit paint scheme just ask to see it lol, might seem a bit harsh but better to be safe than sorry rather than just take there word for it.

I've worked as a smart repairer before and currently do now but it's a self contained oven on the same site as are bodyshop they use me for corner bumpers mostly, so no it wouldn't need the whole bumper doing, and smart repairers are just a convience, why would you want your car repaired with extra fast hardeners fast lacquers ect all that to save time and dry fast at the cost of quality and it will dull off and worst of all its outside in the open, come on mate be sensible it's OK on an old banger your trying to sell or a clueless old person but in reality getting it done at a bodyshop is the only way to do it with good quality materials.

I am surprised that you are running down SMART repairs particularly as your work in the industry?!

I have carried out SMART repairs working on some high end cars (Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin and Mercedes and am happy to offer a lifetime warranty on the work I do. I only use top quality lacquer and never extra fast hardeners. I now also only do retail work as I got fed up working with trade customers who wanted corners cut and paid accordingly!

I stand by what I said that a SMART repair if carried out properly can be every bit as good as a bodyshop repair but it does depend on the experience of the repairer and the quality of the materials used!

I am surprised that you are running down SMART repairs particularly as your work in the industry?!

I have carried out SMART repairs working on some high end cars (Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin and Mercedes and am happy to offer a lifetime warranty on the work I do. I only use top quality lacquer and never extra fast hardeners. I now also only do retail work as I got fed up working with trade customers who wanted corners cut and paid accordingly!

I stand by what I said that a SMART repair if carried out properly can be every bit as good as a bodyshop repair but it does depend on the experience of the repairer and the quality of the materials used!

Yes I agree with you I'm currently doing the same thing but it's in an actual bodyshop so I'm still using the right materials, the conversation started as someone mentioned chips away, and I know they bodge things friends have worked for them, yes you can be a good "smart repairer" but not the types in the vans painting outside where you need the extra fast hardner to dry the paint quicker with a heat gun, that's what they generally do and it's terrible, I actually hate that kind of profession as it is just a quick solution to a trade that shouldn't be rushed, it's always quality over quantity for me.

I must agree with Mercy Me as a good SMART repair can be done to a standard which is undetectable to most people.
I have used numerous SMART repair guys over the years and have finally found one that takes pride in not only his work but in your vehicle.
I have used body shops with good results but there has always been that impersonal touch when dealing with them. This included main dealers and independent shops.
If and only if you find a good one of either then think yourself lucky.
I have a SMART repair guy on speed dial as he is the best in the North East.

Yes I agree with you I'm currently doing the same thing but it's in an actual bodyshop so I'm still using the right materials, the conversation started as someone mentioned chips away, and I know they bodge things friends have worked for them, yes you can be a good "smart repairer" but not the types in the vans painting outside where you need the extra fast hardner to dry the paint quicker with a heat gun, that's what they generally do and it's terrible, I actually hate that kind of profession as it is just a quick solution to a trade that shouldn't be rushed, it's always quality over quantity for me.

There are some Chips Away guys who are very good at what they do. I am independent, not part of a franchise but I know a couple of Chips Away guys who have been around several years (so they must be good with all the charges they have to pay) and do a good job.

There is no problem either working from a van providing the repairs undertaken are 'small to medium'. Yes, there can be contaminants in the air which land on the lacquer but these can be removed quite easily and the panel machine polished to produce an as new finish, certainly comparable to that of a good bodyshop.

Adam at Arl coachworks

Attachments

• prestige detail.jpg
    prestige detail.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 8
Mercedes did mine £150.00 great job and would definitely recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom