Bumper plastic type?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Front bumper of an 03 211. Any idea what specific plastic they are made from please? I'm trying to glue parking sensor receptors back to the inside surface and certain glue types wont work with polypropylene.

Ta.

Thats a great find...thanks. Of the over 300 listed, somehow it omits the specific bumper I have...

US spec facelift front, with parking sensors, w/o headlamp washers. :confused: :dk:

The glue stuff I have in mind is over a tenner a tube. Might just have to get some and do a trial. It's such a pita removing and stripping the front bumper though.

My guess would be its PBT+PC Xenoy* Resin because of its superior resistance to chemical attack but I would be guessing. SABIC Innovative Plastics XENOY PBT+PC
For recycling purposes all plastic mouldings should have the type of plastic stamped on them somewhere in the form of a code although it may not be specific enough?/

I was looking for the part number which I originally used to ID the thing and can't now find. It's under all the reinforcement bits which I'll try and remove and see if I can find any ref to plastic re-cycling numbers.

When I repaired mine it had The markings on the back PC/PBT.
W210 E220cdi 2002

Good tip.:thumb:

Took it to bits and found PP/EPDM. PolyProp/rubber mix. I guess that precludes the fancy glue I've just bought. Oh well! :(

So what sticks PP?

OT - Bonding PP+EPDM bumper parts.

Sounds as Cyanoacrylate glue and a suitable primer would do it I have a feeling Pentane would do the job as a prep agent but all these bumper repair kits supply a suitable solvent for surface pretreatment- tends to remove the plasticiser and leave a rougher surface of raw filler to adhere to.

Can't you plastic weld it from the back?

Would if I could. The plastic is quite thin here and it's nicely painted on the reverse so heat might just damage it. It would cost more to have the bumper re-painted than the 3M DP-8005 glue that I've just bought: as mentioned in the above website. Ordered it before I read about the cyano glue but....hey-ho.

That's what you get for being smart and fitting Yankee bumpers. :doh:

Last edited:
If you're just trying to adhere parts of dissimilar materials then DOW 732 multi purpose sealant works great. I've used it to "lock in" corner light tabs on 124's and bond trim parts.
It's a silicone RTV sealant. It also allows removal of parts which many adhesives will not as it doesn't alter or soften the "plastic" part,

Dow Corning 732 Multi-Purpose Sealant is designed for a number of diverse sealing and bonding applications. This sealant can be used for:

Adhering auto, aircraft and appliance trim, including metal, fabric and fabric-backed plastics
Bonding gaskets in heating and refrigeration units
Attaching screwless brackets, nameplates, signs and sign letters
Sealing windows in oven doors and flues on gas appliances, flanged pipe joints and access doors
Providing formed-in-place gaskets for gear boxes, compressors and pumps
Sealing trailers and truck cabs
Bonding and sealing appliance parts
Sealing marine cabins and windows
Filleting and caulking joints in sheet metal stacks, duct work and equipment housings
Protecting components from moisture from frequent wash downs or weathering
Sealing aircraft galleys and interiors

Last edited:
Tiger Seal or Sikaflex. Probably two of the most versatile adhesives and sealants used in the Automotive Industry, I have used these products myself. Be aware though, once you have fixed something in place with either of these materials, then there is no way you will remove them without damaging what you have bonded once they set. First choice would be Tigerseal and pretty much available at most auto accessory and body/paint supply shops, even most motor factors like Andrew Page and the like.

Dash1

Attachments

• TigerSeal.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom