Bumper respray cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hinterland

Car
E 220 Coupé
Hello,

I’ve had my pristine lovely white E220 coupe for just over a week and have just discovered that some idiot scraped the corner of my front bumper quite badly in a parking garage today. It’s taken the paint off in places and left dark transfer markings but there doesn’t appear to be any denting.

The lovely person did not leave a note. Of course. I may contact the garage to ask about cctv.

But- Before I call the insurance company, I’m wondering what it would cost to have this repaired at MB? I think my deductible is like £500 and I don’t want to lose no claims if I can help it either.

Views on the general cost to do a repair and respray would be very welcome!!

Welcome

Sorry to hear that your first post is to report damage!

Asking anyone here how much it will cost will bring you a wide range of answers all of which will be a guess on the whole. Cost will depend on local labour costs, what needs to be removed, any unseen damage eg broken clips, brackets, the type of paint etc etc. You would get a much better feel by asking 3 or so local body shops to look at the damage and estimate / quote

In terms of being repaired "at MB", this is unlikely as most MB dealers farm out bodyshop work to approved repair shops, few have such facilities on-site.

It may be repairable by 'Chips Away' or similar company. My local bodyshop charges around £150 but it can range from £150 up to £400

Any pics?

See if your MB dealer will tell you who they use locally for the make good PDI and other 'below body shop' work

Southampton did this for me when I had my first MB 10 years ago and he was more than happy to do a few jobs for me (alloys, scratches etc)

He was experienced at matching MB (and other marquees) paint as a result

To paint a bumper, budget around £200 give or take £50 for a good job from a Independant bodyshop.

Where are you based?

There are now companies that do ONLY bumper repair as there is so much money in it and its such a in demand process. I don't know of one in East Anglia but its worth having a search on the internet.

There is one I know of in Wiltshire but that's a bit of a trek for you !

9B03B60E-EA14-4E6A-96B2-0A56EE99DA85.jpeg Thanks all.... I’m heading into the dealership to have a belated tour around the car tomorrow so will ask them. So annoyed!

Here’s is a pic I’ve just taken for those asking. I was backed into a car parking space and there was plenty of room- there was a van to the right of me which would have had to pull out to the left to get out into the one way system. It’s a really bad scrape.

Id go to an independent paint shop if the dealership recommends their bodyshop.

where in east anglia are you?

Let me guess""ohh that's a nasty one! To do the job right we'll have to remove the bumper repair the damaged mounts then blend in the wing,bonnet replace the grill as they always crack" that will be £1200?

Doesn’t look too bad.

Personally I’d pay a bit more and have the whole bumper sprayed rather than a SMART repair.

Depends how long you plan to keep the car.

As Kianok says, depends on how long you plan to keep the car. I would just polish it out and touch it up, its bound to happen again if you are using the car every day. If its a garage queen go ahead with the expensive option.

Well it does not look too bad,forget MB,I have used a guy in Colchester he is superb,MB bring new cars to him where they have had slight touches while being moved around,4 week waiting time not unusual,a local smart repair guy should be able to do a great job on your damage,ask about for a good one in your area,the quality of their work can vary,my local one is not good.

Mercedes have a guy who comes in twice a week to do this sort of work- they think it’ll be £150 or so. Palatable, but still an annoyance as it wasn’t of my doing!

I’ve filed a police report to get the police access to the cctv. I just want them to knock on this person’s door so they know they didn’t get away with it and possibly won’t do it again!

Had my rear bumper resprayed by a mobile repair, did a good job for about £80 or so, since reversed into a post so will need another repair oops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom