Burglars and UPVC type front doors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Had a leaflet through the door a few days ago from the local police.:eek:

Warning that burglars in my area are now specifically targeting homes with UPVC and similar type front doors. Unless these doors are deadlocked they can be opened easily by putting either an arm or a bent wire coat hanger through the letterbox and pulling down on the internal door handle.
The police suggested either ALWAYS deadlocking the door - even when occupied - and/or fitting an internal wire type letterbox cage over the letterbox opening to prevent this happening.
If you buy a cage (as I did) measure your letterbox first to make sure the cage will fit over the box fully. Some letterboxes are quite wide and many cages dont fit.
Just thought this was worth passing on.......................:thumb:

Also and a rather obvious thing to mention I know, but if you deadlock the door don't leave the key in the lock or simply on a hallway shelf, as 'fishing' for keys is also known to happen.

Last edited:
Also and a rather obvious thing to mention I know, but if you deadlock the door don't leave the key in the lock or simply on a hallway shelf, as 'fishing' for keys is also know to happen.

But make sure the key is somewhere within easy reach in case you need to get out in an emergency.

Also and a rather obvious thing to mention I know, but if you deadlock the door don't leave the key in the lock or simply on a hallway shelf, as 'fishing' for keys is also know to happen.

Yes. That point was also mentioned in the leaflet. What it did say was if you did deadlock the door, keep the key out of sight and on a hook near the door just in case of fire.

See here............
http://cms.met.police.uk/met/boroug...we_doing/news/upvc_doors_targeted_by_burglars

http://www.essex.police.uk/news/n_cont.php?articleId=4611

http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/onlinenews/2009/july/200709_door_reminder.html

etc...etc.....

What I actually did was fit the cage sideways and remove the hinged top cover. I had to do this as I couldn't find a cage wide enough to fit over my letter box.
I fitted it so the opening is on the opposite side to where the handle is.
Like this...........

Last edited:
I thought this thread was going to be about the 'bump keys' you may or may not have heard of. But this method unfortunately sounds incredibly simple.

I hate to say it, but with any idea/invention/problems etc (good or bad) it's so often the simple, yet overlooked ones, that we miss.

Will

There are some new type locking mechansims just coming out on the market that do not have a separate euro-cylinder. As people have said, the euro-cylinder can be 'Bumped' or snaped quite easily.

The new mechanism do away with the euro-cylinder and is replaced by what looks like a conventional mortice lock and key. However, there is no dead bolt, instead by turning the key it deadlocks the whole mecahnism.

I would always recommend deadlocking the door, especially if you have a lever/lever arrangement on your front door. The other thing to remember is that if you haven't engaged the locking mechanism fully the door will not be draft proof as the compression cams will not have been activated.

I had the rep in from one of our suppliers the other day to show me one, it looks pretty good from what I have seen. the trouble is it is just one of hundreds of manufacturers who have taken this next step on improved security. It will be some time before the euro-cylinder is fazed out and the new type becomes the norm.

Will, you only need to put 'pwTVBWCijEQ' into the Youtube brackets

[YOUTUBE]pwTVBWCijEQ[/YOUTUBE]

It's about time this sort of thing was banned from you tube :mad:

Just reading that if you take out the lock and applying grease to the pins then it helps prevent key bumping from working as the grease acts as a shock absorber and prevents the pins from jumping so easily.
Anyone confirm this?

You should also be aware that its quite easy (3 minutes) to force a double glazed pvc window open,even easier if its got an exterior (usually black) sealing strip.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that if someone wants to gain entry to your home, then they can and will regardless of what you do.
Not wishing to be seen as as an "I'm alright" kind of person, but making your home more visibly secure than your neighbours must give you a slightly better chance of not being burgled.

Now the thieves will just take your post and steal your identity :D

That aspect did occur to me ! ! ! !
Depends on how you perceive your risks and priorities of these things happening.
Easy to get paranoid over such things.
Near me there are one or two quite ordinary semi detached homes equipped with full camera CCTV and movement detector lighting systems........

Also and a rather obvious thing to mention I know, but if you deadlock the door
If you leave the key in the door the lock can't be bumped. It'd be pretty difficult to fish the key out, especially if it's rotated away from the remove position.

As others have said, if people want to get in then they will. The centre panels in uPVC doors can usually be kicked in very easily.

Agree it's easy to get parnoid about these things but I suppose that depends where you live. People who visit us are amazed we leave the doors open all day but I have relatives in Liverpool who have had sneak burglaries during the daytime.

Last edited:
Our new home has the Euro Cylinders mentioned above. Whilst searching for somewhere to get a replacement lock so that I could have all of the doors keyed alike I was horrified to discover bumping on YouTube. There was a chap who showed how to open the type of lock we had within seconds!

I've come across some 'anti-bump' euro cylinders (think they're made by Squire) anyone know if they're any good? I need to replace 3 euro cylinders and would like them keyed alike ideally.

I also came across some 'anti-bump solution' that you can put into locks, although I don't like the sound of that.

Insted of the police coming round with leaflets telling u too deadlock your door, dont leave the key in, buy a cage, leave key somewhere safe incase emergency, never protect yourself or your property incase u get hurt, (or sued of course) and all that blah...why don't they sort out the justice system and nip this in the bud! Break and entering 5 years minimum, carrying a knife - do the 4 years for each and everyone! although it should be much more! murder,rape and pedos - get a deathrow! and if the jails are too expensive then do away with sky telly, xboxs and gyms. concrete cell and pillow will do. and if the jails are too full? put all the immigrants that are here illegally or in our prisons on boats and ship them out, few more cells there i'd imagine! not rocket science! Sick of us constantly being told we have to lock up and protect ourselves from these bloody scally idiots!!:wallbash:

phew....vent over, got quite wound up then!:crazy:

why? It's not illegal to know how to do these things. It's just illegal to use that knowledge to go breaking into people's houses.

So when someone breaks in to your house Andy and you find out they used a bump key are you gunna be saying the same thing??? I think not! Some things just shouldn't be made public knowledge IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom