Burning rubber smell from brand new W212 Sport Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuJigsaw

Car
E-Class 250 CDi Sport Estate Tip
Took delivery on a brand new E Class Estate Sport 250CDi yesterday and tonight got home from only it's second run out. Only went about 5 miles max and parked up in a car park and there was a really strong burning rubber/plastic smell coming from under the bonnet. The cooling fan wasn't running btw. The smell was so strong even our young kids noticed it and commented that it "was a horrible smell". Anyway an hour later I returned home and stopped in the drive and the same strong smell wafted into the hall. The wife also noticing it. I looked under the bonnet and also under the car and could see nothing obvious. One thing of note but probably not relevant is that the car park has large speed bumps and the car did catch on the way over (this car is lower than my last car!). It wasn't very hard and nothing more than I've experienced in other cars without consequence.

I've checked the forum and can't find anything recently about this. I did find a bit but always with the cooling fan running and usually when the car is a few months old. I'm now a little concerned it might be something a bit more serious and am a little annoyed that it's happened to a brand spanking new car.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated as I'm now concerned I can't use my new car.

It is new car...call the dealer...they can actually help...we can't.

Difficult call really. I would say that all new cars will give off a burning smell as the various coatings are burnt off from the engine, gearbox, exhaust etc. If you cannot see any obvious issues in daylight and assuming you do not have a fire going on now? I would think it is normal. If concerned drop into any Merc Dealer who should be happy to have a quick once over for peace of mind.

Good luck.

I had a bit of this on my new C250 - never did work out what it was.

I had a bit of this on my new C250 - never did work out what it was.
Was the car brand new? How long did last?

I would suggest it's not a problem, noting it's a diesel.

My car did this from new and 60k miles, 2 years on still does occassionally.

I suspect its a factor of new car, heat cycles and DPF. As the car is new and not used in anger the initial smell is everything settling down as everything warms up, as the car gets older the smell is due to a DPF cycle as this will get very hot.

To date my hasn't burst into flames, hasn't broken down and has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Relax and enjoy the car and stop worrying. The only time to even consider worrying is if it does break down, but even then don't worry too much, the car is under warranty and you are covered by Mobilo.

Regards, Neil

When the DPF regenerates the smell comes from the back (exhaust)... There are some cases of problems with engine wiring. I think you need to check it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom