Burning smell and grinding noise!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_Doe

Car
C32
Ok help needed badly now. firstly the car is a W202 C230K 1999.

I have two issues and I do not know if these are related but i would guess they are.

I noticed the other day that when i started the car there was a really loud grinding noise coming from the engine bay. If the engine is left to idle for a few mins then the noise goes away but sounds really bad! Unfortunately the only video recording i can do is on a iphone so you will not be able to hear the noise properly. If i shut the engine off and start straight back up again then the noise returns instantly. every time.

This has now led to a second major issue! I have some kind of burning smell coming from my engine! it smells a bit like burnt electrical cables. the smell appears to be coming from the same area as the noise which is towards the lower part of the front of the engine.

I have uploaded the video i did when i first noticed the noise but the stupid loud exhust distorts the engine noise. Hope it helps to give you a basic idea though.

c230 engine grinding - YouTube

Grab hold of each pulley and see if you can wobble it about. Sounds like a bearing in the belt idler pulley.

Well there don't seem to be any movement but without removing stuff I am a little restricted on my grip/access. Plus my bloody haynes manual don't do the supercharger models lol, typical.

Hmmm sounds expensive. I took a few photos of where I believe the smell is coming from but they ain't great.

First of all is my belt supposed to look that poor?!

823146C9-orig.jpg

This pic is obviously from the left hand side. I've never had a Kompressor before so I don't know slot about superchargers. It the one on the left the supercharger? If I start my engine shouldn't that be still until I rev the engine to kick it in? I was reading somewhere about it kicking in once the engine is started and then stopping while the engine is idling. Mine seems to slip every now and again. Is that normal? Or should I just shut up and let the experts look at it lol. Just trying to give as much info as I can lol

95B6C216-orig.jpg

Last edited:
That's supposed to be "alot" and "is" the one on the left. I hate apple products sometimes!

It's the outer face of the belt which has been shaved to within an inch of its life.

I'll go for a seized idler pulley. (Bottom right, 1st picture).

There is also a lot of rubber 'pick up' evident on the same idler pulley in the 2nd picture, middle right.

Last edited:
You can see the rubber deposits on the idler pulley, so it must be skidding due to being seized.

You mean this pulley?

19752DDF-orig.jpg

I'm sure that moves if I run the engine tho. Or would it still spin even though it's seized. Just causing more friction then normal?

Yes, that's the one. It should not have all that rubber clumped to it like that. It may spin when the engine is running, but is it spinning freely and smoothly? Get a length of tube and put one end against your ear and the other in close proximity to the pulley and see if that is where the noise is coming from.

With the engine stationary, can you induce any movement in the pulley wheel, axially and end to end? Can you deflect the belt sufficiently to get the pulley to rotate on its own? And if so, is it smooth?

I wouldn't go anywhere near that pulley with the engine running, that fan could do you a right mischief.

Well I went to my local parts place to price up the replacement pulley and a belt. £30 fpr the pulley but I don't know my belt size. And I can't see any numbers on the belt either :-s

well i managed to find my belt size and the belt is being ordered in. But before I go ahead and replace I just want to ask about my supercharger. I have done another little video.

As i said before i dont know too much about what the supercharger is supposed to do while stationary but to me the noise and smell is coming from there. With the engine idling the grindy noise will start and then the magnetic clutch, or whatever it is, will slip. The noise goes slightly quiet and then starts again until it slips. Well you can see in the video.

I shall replace the when i get chance but I have been putting it off because im skint right now. (Clutch just gave out on my other car)

C230K issue - YouTube

no it should not have that much play

will need replacing i have to say

did you replace the two polly v belts if the supercharge one 6pk1335 was that bad the other must have been its 6pk1875 in size

Well I have not replaced the belt yet because I did not see the point if the supercharger needed work. By the other belt you mean the one that runs the rest? I.e Air con, power steering yer?

Also you've scared me now, the belt i removed from the supercharger was a 6PK1328.

Ummmm well belt removed, pulley fitted. But... should supercharger pulley have this much play in it?

There shouldn't be that play. The bearings wear out but the shaft can also wear.

Ok so what is it I need to replace? Is it the whole unit? dont suppose anyone knows any prices either. I found this picture while googling earlier. It it the bearing body i would be replacing?

Clutch-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom