Burning smell from new discs and pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babyblueCE

Car
300 CE
Hello all. I recently fitted new discs and pads to my 300CE and they seemed a bit bouncy when i got it back from my mechanic so i assumed that there was air in the brake fluid. So i undid the brake fluid cap and pedalled the brake until it became firm but this didn't happen so i again assumed that they needed bedding in. I drove it this morning to work and when i parked up i could smell burning coming from the front wheels. I bought the discs and pads from GSF and they gave me Brembo front discs and pads and Jurid ones for the rear. I know they are good quality stuff so wouldn't assume its the products. Does anyone know what could be causing the smell?

Don't know about the burning.

But, the bouncy brakes. When you say you removed the cap, was this on the reservoir? If yes, then this will not remove air from the lines.

The discs usually come covered in a protective grease/wax if you did not clean it off before fitting then this is probably burning off when the discs get hot.

The pads might be binding in the calliper and so overheating.

The pads might be binding in the calliper and so overheating.

And if they are binding you will start to cook your brake fluid giving you a soft pedal. Some heat/smoke would be fairly normal with new discs and pads but only over the first few miles. I would get this checked for binding. Jack front corner up and see if you can turn the wheel freely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom