Burr Walnut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

balge

Car
Mercedes-Benz W124
Hi
just pondering, does anyone know the variety of Walnut used in Mercedes wood-trim? European or American?
Pic is my 300TD

Last edited:
It's more figured burr so is most likely to be European. The most figured burr tends to be Turkish. There's not much wood in the dash though!

are you after a trim piece?

No mate just wondering...it's the only piece of fine furniture I own, so I wanted to know a little more about it ;)

I do have a few little niggles with the trim but finances dictate running gear takes priority unfortunately :eek:

Is it worth polishing or waxing the wood at all? I just give it a gentle rub with a soft cloth occasionally....

cheers!

Nail it with a very fine cutting compound then finish off with a paint polish. Make sure you are wearing glasses though, it will become very shiny indeed.......!

For deeper scratches do not try and polish them out, as they will open up and appear as a smear. Use 2000 grit paper to bring the surface down more evenly than what you can with polish and a finger. Don’t worry the polish will take away the dulling from the sanding.

Just a clean with a beeswax type furniture polish worked wonders on ours. Gave it a really deep shine.

Just give it a gentle clean. It already looks plastic enough without fiddling with it. Having had cars with really good veneers, this is not Mercedes best point.

Mines really good, takes all the scratches out, makes it look like new!

Forgot to mention if you want to finish off with Mothers Plastic Polish that works very well too - from first hand experience.

Below is a shot of the steering wheel with only the right hand side polished above the leather, on the left you can see all the little scratches that makes the MB trim go milky, to get these out car cutting compound and then car polish or Mothers Plastic Polish to finish, takes a while to complete, if you want to do this it is best to take the panels out.

Last edited:
Ok, so it's European Walnut, light abrasive for any scratches, gentle cleaning and light polish to follow...cheers!

I didn't know whether it was covered in some kind of coating or just plain wood, don't know much about wooden stuff except for structural use.
Charles, mate...it may look 'plasticky' , but having been surrounded by actual plastic tat all my life it looks beautiful to me :eek:, I just want to keep it as nice as it can be as long as possible ...:thumb:

cheers again

My one has faded in places on my estate,I'll be doing something different when time comes

You do what you like to your car Dash!!!

I've seen at least one car in carbon fibre, over on the other sites, that looked acceptable to me, and that is saying something for me! It can look good if it's done carefully and against the right interior IMHO.

The idea came from the other place and condirering I've black interior it looked very nice to me
Anyway I was going to leave it as is since I can't wrap the wood on the steering wheel but that quickly changed after getting my hands on another wheel

The good thing about it Dash is that if you don't like it you can change it back very easily. We got a water printing machine just up the road installed the other day, it can print almost anything on almost anything. It's amazing! I was thinking of getting the dash vent surrounds done in Burl, I guess it will look a little like a Range Rover with the thick vertical members done in woodgrain.....??

One day maybe, once I figure out how to remove and refit them that is, although I might start with a set from the Breakers, just to be sure........

get piano black shellac, ive done many items of furniture in my time with it and its awesome quality look.
Make anything look a million dollars, its time consuming but fairly easy to do.

Looks like you've read my mind there,more info please

Hi
just pondering, does anyone know the variety of Walnut used in Mercedes wood-trim? European or American?
Pic is my 300TD

I recall reading in the W221 S Class brochure a couple of days ago that the Burr Walnut comes from California. Not sure if that applies to the rest of the range or whether it's S Class specific for a particulat type of wood.

The good thing about it Dash is that if you don't like it you can change it back very easily. We got a water printing machine just up the road installed the other day, it can print almost anything on almost anything. It's amazing! I was thinking of getting the dash vent surrounds done in Burl, I guess it will look a little like a Range Rover with the thick vertical members done in woodgrain.....??

One day maybe, once I figure out how to remove and refit them that is, although I might start with a set from the Breakers, just to be sure........

Does it do £20 "Twenty Pound Notes" ?;);):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom