Bus Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Not quite OT but this occured to me while I was daydreaming at work.

If all and every bus company is on strike in my town can I still be nicked for driving in bus lanes :confused:

yep

unless the local council amend the bylaws that relate to their use or declare a temporary amnesty - neither of which is likely particularly now that busses have been deregulated and are not part of a big corporation like they were before.

Andy

Interesting thought but I think you'd still get done.

Something I have also found interesting is that (in London) when there is a bus strike, my commute by car is significantly faster as traffic flow is smoother, which somewhat flies in the face of those that argue that buses ease congestion.

so , whats to stop someone buying a second hand bus and driving it down a bus lane with just the driver in it :)

And .. are they going to tow it when your park it up :)

fuzzer said:
so , whats to stop someone buying a second hand bus and driving it down a bus lane with just the driver in it :)

Why do you think so many private motorists drive black cabs in London? ;) :D

S.

fuzzer said:

Cheaper to buy a second hand black cab ;)
- cheaper to buy and easier to maintain too :D
Plus you don't need an additional driving license/test

uumode said:
Plus you don't need an additional driving license/test

You don't to drive a bus either - unless you are using it to carry fare paying passengers :)

I remember reading somewhere that there is going to be a sale of old routemasters in London as they are withdrawn from service over the next few years - multi storey car parks may be a problem though :)

single decker?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9883&item=2484753921&rd=1

the interesting bit is "licenced as a private car" I wonder how the law stands on that one when you drive up the bus lanes :)

Andy

Andy

I like the auction description "used for hostage release training". The photo must be before the "firefight" then.
Rgds
Les

fuzzer said:

Absolutely nothing to stop you. In my time with the transport museum we used to use one to go shopping. And as for parking, you could put 'em pretty much where you wanted in Bradford, especially the 1964 and 1959 Bradford Corporation buses as they didn't look out of place.

Drawbacks were 7 MPG and a top speed of 38 MPH.

Oh and if the bus is over 30 years old, you only need a car licence to drive it, but no matter how many seats it has you're restricted to 8 passengers maximum.

I am not 100% sure, but I think if you drove your own bus in a bus lane, you would still get pulled :( . Certainly in Bristol, bus lanes are for fare paying passengers carriers only, and even exclude coaches, but allow taxis and motorcycles. A friend of mine, who worked for the bus company, even states that a bus on trial run, after maintenance work, is not allowed in the bus lane, doh!!!!!! back to the black cabs :D :D

Geoff2 said:
I am not 100% sure, but I think if you drove your own bus in a bus lane, you would still get pulled :(
Technically yes, but IMHO you'd be pretty much "invisible" to the authorities as a bus driving in a bus-lane, except maybe if you were on the M4 bus-lane in which case you'd be the first ever and would stand out like a sore thumb ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom