Bus Lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plodd

Car
2007 VW Golf R32
I hate bus lanes.

Sweeping statement yes but let me explain why.....
I appreciate the thinking behind bus lanes, not saying I agree with them but I understand what they are trying to do.
The reason I hate them is all the blind/ignorant/illiterate/stupid or just plain incompetant drivers who can't be bothered to read the signs detailing when it is or is not a bus lane.
The pi**ocks who won't use it at 2pm when it's only a bus lane between 7/10.30am annoy me loads more than the people who go in them when they are.

Rant over :rolleyes:

Plodd,

I agree with you on this one, but can't help adding that a lot of this problem is due to the fact that there are SO many different types of bus lanes. Eg, 24 hours, 7-10am only, 7-10am AND 4-7pm etc etc. Also, I have seen a lot of bus lanes with people parking in, which adds to them problem. I always look at the first sign that I see, and work it out, but as you say, many are blissfully unaware.

Cheers,

Will

Absolutely spot on...
But there's a general point here. Many years ago I'm sure roads were simple things with a few white lines here and there, and a few signs to help people go in the right direction.
Nowadays, we have to deal with a proliferation lines, signs, cameras, sleeping policemen... There is actually little asphalt left that hasn't been overpainted in another colour.
All this distracts from the main objective of getting from a to b safely.
the worst part is we pay for it all.
Rgds
Les

I recently got an £80 fine for being in a bus lane in Lewisham, so it is little wonder people are reluctant to use them, especially with the confusing enforcement times.

I don't use them as

A. generally there is somebody parked in them,
which means you have to stop and try to join the righthand lane which is flowing freely.

B. you might catch up with a SLOW bus which impedes your speed, and traffic in the normal lane is flowing faster anyway

C. at some point you might meet a stopped bus picking / letting off passengers which obstructs your path, meaning you have to join the right hand lane again

D. the only time the bus lane flows faster is during rush hour - the time when you can't use the bus lane.

E. as already mentioned the confusing and different offpeak times for bus lanes.

F. I feel slightly silly to be seen driving down a bus lane, like I feel slightly silly using a kids (lower) urinal in a public toilet when all the others are taken :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom