Business Networking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilsonuk

Car
ML320 cdi / AM Vantage / Jaguar XJ / formerly SL350 and E320cdi
Now I don't use forums very much at all, but it strikes me that it's a good opportunity for business networking?

Is it frowned upon and is that the reason there isn't a sub forum for this purpose? :dk:

I had suggested an "show your services" section of the forum a few years ago, and was told that the need didn't appear to be there...

There is a thread floating about (that I started.. so that should cut the search down a bit :p) on those lines... let's see if I can find it!
m.

I am an Estate Agent. I would love be in touch with members who need my services or vice versa...

I am for it... though I can understand that some might be concerned that there will be too much spam-like activities on the forum. So I think it should be information that you have to actively seek out, so that those who do not want to be exposed to it will remain blissfully oblivious.

If there was a sub forum for this, would it be a good idea to limit new topics to those with a certain number of posts, such as the classified ad's section is? It'd surely cut out the majority of spam, and I think people might be more open to the idea if chatting to regular posters rather than complete newbies all the time.

Last edited:
It's always struck me as a bit odd that we have a community where those with a car related business can advertise their wares but those with other types of business can't.

A (car related) trader can make a handful of posts and be authorised and yet someone who's been a member for years and made 100s of posts can't as his or her business isn't car related.

Understandable, perhaps, if the forum owners had to check out the businesses in question but this appears to be minimal.

Nevertheless, the forum isn't owned by the community - it's owned by a few individuals and it's their choice as to how they run it and we have to respect that.

I'll declare my interest - I have a company (payroll bureau - delete this if you like, mods) which can service clients anywhere as long as they have an internet connection and I'd be more than happy to offer a discount to forum members.

I will add to the above that I am a landscaper/garden maintainer/property maintainer. I don't advertise at all, purely reputation work.

If this were to float it would need a decent search facility otherwise nobody would find anybody.

My philosophy is that I believe we are all friends or mates together because of a common interest.
If a mate posts on the forum that they need assistance with something.
Asking for help
If you can you should offer help them!
If they take your offer of advice of help this is a good thing.
If they need to buy something that you can help them find the best deal then this is also a good thing.
Personal gain acquired in the guise of assistance to a mate is a bad thing.
I understand that businesses need to turn a profit in order to exist but if you are merely just after cheap advertising then this is not the place to broadcast it.

I doubt my business would be of interest to many, or indeed to anyone, but if any of you guys run a municipal water company, I can offer a highly effective and environmentally friendly disinfection technology, with no side effects of chlorination ... :rolleyes:

One problem could be the pestering of certain tradespeople/experts for advice whereas at present if a member has a certain problem he just posts and it's up to the relevant expert to reply which they usually do.

It'd be nice if we could have an allowance in our signatures to put a link or description if we wanted - perhaps limited to a set number of characters and must be in the default font (To stop signature shouting). We carry business cards, it's just an online extension of that in a way... If someone then wanted to get in touch they would just PM the relevant user.

StevenN, you helped many people here (myself included) for no personal gain, and this is very much appreciated. Your post is spot-on, which is why I said that any business networking must be visible only to users who actively seek to find it. Any business activity should IMO only allowed to exist in a parallel dimension. Anyone who is not interested or does not want to know should be able to continue and enjoy the forum in it's current format, without having to opt-out of anything.

Totally agree about StevenN, top chap!

It's a can of worms and will promote more bad feeling that it would help.

If a forum member needs something, a large enough group of the regulars know who does what and can generally be pointed in the right direction.

I openly post on MoneySaving Expert about the industry in which I'm involved (under another name) and even with many thousands of posts and more thanks than posts I still get sniped at, reported and constantly put down.

I get very little (actually almost nothing) out of it apart from knowing I help the vast majority of people who read what I post.

I'm not really wanting to come here and talk shop. At least not in an advertised manner. Helping the odd member out is fine but's that how it should be kept - word of mouth.

I agree that transforming this forum to a professional discussion site will be counter productive.

But I see no problem in people saying what they do for a living, if they choose to do so, in a separate area, accessible to those who take an interest.

I for one would definitely buy say a new boiler from a GAS SAFE engineer who is a member here.

I agree that transforming this forum to a professional discussion site will be counter productive.

But I see no problem in people saying what they do for a living, if they choose to do so, in a separate area, accessible to those who take an interest.

I for one would definitely buy say a new boiler from a GAS SAFE engineer who is a member here.

You can do that on your profile, so to help save people going through everyone's profile, maybe we could add an "occupation" tag under "location" on the profile that appears next to each post.

That way those that want to broadcast, can and in a subtle and inoffensive way. It would of course be completely voluntary.

Any business questions can then be undertaken by PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom