Business People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GH421

Car
W221 S320L Cdi
Hi Guys,

I need some advice please, perhaps this isn't the right forum to go to.

I have invented a product and showcased it at the gadget show live. Everyone loved it and were asking when it would be available.

Now at the moment I am at the prototype stage and would like to get someone to make this. It is a bespoke kitchen utensil and I would probably need to get someone in China to build these. Where is the best place to start inquiring?

I'll need someone to build a mold for me for the plastic component and as it contains electric and battery parts as well they would need to do this too. The important stuff will be done in the UK in house however.

I am looking at funding sites like Kickstarter but need that initial guidance as to where to kick things off from with regards to manufacturing.

Do any of you guys have experience of this?

1st up, have you protected it? otherwise I wouldnt attempt to do anything else

Patent needs to be applied for. Find a Patent lawyer to assist.

This will tell you if the idea already exists, and protect from someone else stealing your invention if it is unique.

Without a Patent the product can be copied by anyone.

"and protect from someone else stealing your invention if it is unique."

Apart from the Chinese, they copy anything with total impunity and their Govt even backs them up. Had it happen to me, as numerous others have.

"I have invented a product and showcased it at the gadget show live."

Way too late to think of patents - it's already in the public domain

"I have invented a product and showcased it at the gadget show live."

Way too late to think of patents - it's already in the public domain

Just seen this product, might sell from the likes of JML but not sure I would have a need of it.

My business manufactures in China we deal with a number of a factories so I'm happy to help point you in the right direction.

Nothing beats getting on a plane and going yourself though.

EDIT: Have you considered low volume injection moulding firms in the UK for a test run before you decide to go to China.

Chinese MOQ's are likely to be container quantities or at least thousands.

Last edited:
lxi said:
"I have invented a product and showcased it at the gadget show live." Way too late to think of patents - it's already in the public domain
Quite. And patents are only worthwhile if you have deep enough pockets to enforce them.

tense-dragons-den-o.gif

As above the first thing to do is get it protected before you start showing people!! and if you have more dealings with anyone get them to sign a non disclosure form first.

Try these How to Patent an Idea | Innovate Product Design and the British library have a patent workshop and ask them about design registration.

My wife has spent the last couple of years working on her own product where she has sourced materials from Turkey, she is on the verge of launching it into the public domain :cool:

Last edited:
Getting the patent is the easy bit, enforcing it is the problem..

I'll give you £10 for 98%...

From https://www.gov.uk/patent-your-invention/overview

"Don’t make your invention public before you apply. You may not be able to patent it, or it could make your patent invalid."

From the OP "I have invented a product and showcased it at the gadget show live."

There's a trade fair in Guangzhou that's an ideal place to meet manufacturers and talk about stamps - that said, as others have mentioned you would need the idea patented to start with.

If budgets don't allow that, Alibaba can be an ok place to start - but again, you risk getting your idea copied by millions.

>

Getting the patent is the easy bit, enforcing it is the problem..
Patents are only worthwhile if you're prepared to enforce them, which generally comes at horrendous cost that is far beyond all but the wealthiest companies. Many people will knowingly infringe a patent held by anyone other than a very large, litigious, corporation because they know with reasonable certainty that the patent will not be enforced, and even if it is by the time the legal process has run its course the market will have moved on - as will they.

Another issue with filing a patent is that you're actually telling your competition how you solved the problem. It's very rare that this information can't be put to good use by someone smart if they want to bring to market another product that doesn't infringe the patent, but more likely by someone who doesn't give a stuff about the patent for the reasons in the paragraph above.

All this is bad news for the small inventor, but something they should be aware of before they blow lots of money on less-than-valuable "protection" for their IP. Remember also that patents are territorial things, so holding a UK Patent (for example) gives you no protection whatsoever in other markets. Instead you need to pay to obtain protection in each territory you're concerned about which can very quickly become very expensive.

Hi Guys,

Yes first and foremost I did protect the product and had a patent attorney do this all.

I've met someone based in Basildon who does rapid prototyping so will be meeting him to get a production ready prototype built.

I've decided to go down the kickstarter route to raise funds. Kickstarter is a crowd based funding platform in return for rewards. The rewards in this place will be an early release of this product.

I think next will be speaking to Chinese manufactures to get half of it built there and rest within the UK to protect my IP. I would need to procure a warehouse and equipment as well as staff.

I've tried to entice investors but it's so difficult to find them and as I don't have any sales as of yet don't really have a route to market though I have planned for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom