Busted in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Oh well. I'd managed just over 2500 miles and had 100 to go to Calais. Radar on the autoroute, 170 km/h in a 130 zone, 90 Euro fine.

Lots of other Brits getting pulled.

Predictable, really :)

Over 100mph in an 80mph limit... 90 Euros... You got off light I think :)

I take it this was some sort of manned radar trap?

yeah... at least no points :(
... the cup's half full mate :)
don't let it spoil you holiday ;-)

Did you not tell the little Frenchman that if it wasn't for us Brits, he wouldn't be standing there collecting fines! They should show us some respect!

say it in your best allo allo voice, for added value! lol

Catching speeding UK motorists on the final run in to Calais has been the French Police's idea of ''shooting fish in a barrel'' for years......hardly a sport but they definitely enjoy the game.

Mic

I got busted in Russia - irst time in around 5 years - apparently I turned onto a road across an unbroken line. Theoretically a RBL1,500 fine (GBP30) but I got off with a box of chocolates (GBP5). The full story later.
Les

Ive been done a few times too, onroute to Calais, they dont like the German plates either!
Why do we put up with em????

Yup the autoroute to Calais is not the place to push it - there are some fixed cameras too (although not sure whether a ticket from those would ever reach you??).

Why not just observe speed limits, no fines and no points... Simples

If you were given two options at the toll booth, either pay the standard fee and go no faster than 130Km/h, or pay the standard fee plus €90 but travel at 170Km/h, what would you have chosen? :D

Over 100mph in an 80mph limit... 90 Euros... You got off light I think :)

I take it this was some sort of manned radar trap?

And yes I assume it was a manned radar trap. First thing I knew was that there was a motor bike half a mile back on main beam closing on me fast.

Yes, agree, could have been much worse.

Last edited:
Catching speeding UK motorists on the final run in to Calais has been the French Police's idea of ''shooting fish in a barrel'' for years......hardly a sport but they definitely enjoy the game.

Mic

You're right. The thing is I was thinking "better slow down a little when I get to within an hour of Calais...."

Doh.

Yup the autoroute to Calais is not the place to push it - there are some fixed cameras too (although not sure whether a ticket from those would ever reach you??).

Yes - a bit dumb on my part, really.

Why not just observe speed limits, no fines and no points... Simples

Well for a lot of trip I tried to sit at indicated 95mph which is probably safe from prosecution and is still a good speed at which to over long distances.

I'm obviously turning into my Dad......

Going to France in a couple of weeks, in the CL55 !!!

Going to France in a couple of weeks, in the CL55 !!!

I'm going this weekend! :thumb:

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom