Busted in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're right. The thing is I was thinking "better slow down a little when I get to within an hour of Calais...."

Doh.

The French have been having a major road safety drive for years now. The days of travelling way over the speed limit in France are over. They're targeting everyone, including the French.

The French have been having a major road safety drive for years now. The days of travelling way over the speed limit in France are over. They're targeting everyone, including the French.

Indeed. The death toll on French roads is frightening. On my regular wine trips, virtually all the winemakers I talk to (especially those who like their cars) just say that the police are getting extremely tough, drinking and driving is an absolute no-no, and it just isn't worth pushing it on speed.

Given how good the autoroutes are for sustaining high average cruising speeds, I just can't see the point in being over the speed limit on them. I am regularly overtaken at exceptionally high speed on the A26 and think the French perfectly justified to enforce their own laws. Compared to this country with its infinitely greater number of cameras, crowded motorways and perpetual traffic jams, driving in France is still blissful and if you get caught, it really is your own tough luck.

Going to France in a couple of weeks, in the CL55 !!!

be careful... the roads are so lovely, i found myself doing insane speeds... kept wondering why everyone else was driving so slowly until i checked the speedo!

I got stopped by a County Sheriff on my way from Toronto to Washington DC a few years ago. I didn't get an on the spot fine, it went to court after I had left the country and the fine was sent to me here in the UK. Got fined £125 for doing 92mph in a 65mph zone.

Some people said don't bother paying it but I was due to go back to the states the following year and I would have been stopped from entering the country if I hadn't paid. At least I didn't get any points....

I wouldnt mess with the USA... The next time you are on their soil they would strip you naked and parade you around the airport just to make a point...

And yes I assume it was a manned radar trap. First thing I knew was that there was a motor bike half a mile back on main beam closing on me fast.

Yes, agree, could have been much worse.

I guess the motor bike didn't get fined :devil: I imagine that's how they get their adrenaline rush: closing in on speeding motorists at top speed :D The French have really clamped down on speeding and drunken driving, specially on motorways and main roads. However, the small secondary roads are mostly free from the big police artillery and also have little traffic ;). Just be careful before and crossing villages.

Last edited:
Keep it under 165 kph (real) if you want to get off with the €90 fine - above that it is €800 and taking away your licence for 4 weeks, so you're stuck if you are driving on your own.

Travel to Strasbourg from Brussels every month, and especially in my former car (BMW M5) it was quite difficult to keep to that but managed with a few €90 fines.

Normally the mobile radar traps are a few km from the toll stations, where you are then stopped and taken to the side to pay it on the spot.

Catching speeding UK motorists on the final run in to Calais has been the French Police's idea of ''shooting fish in a barrel'' for years......hardly a sport but they definitely enjoy the game.

Mic

It's why I seldom travel through France....

Why not just observe speed limits, no fines and no points... Simples

Because it is Fun to drive fast on suitable roads.

I occasionally break the speed limit on private roads, not because I want to get to my destination faster it's just fun. Simples :D

I occasionally break the speed limit on private roads, not because I want to get to my destination faster it's just fun. Simples :D

You rascal you.

Mic

Given how good the autoroutes are for sustaining high average cruising speeds, I just can't see the point in being over the speed limit on them.

I must admit I agree. Looking forward to next year - and a bit more self-restraint.

Worse place to have ago getting near to calais....

Oh well you will live and learn :)

Well you would think so, wouldn't you....IIRC correctly my first time on that road was 1984.....

I've certainly noticed more police each year we go with more cameras even on the toll roads.

Your lucky that's all it was I've seen cars fly past me near Calais having one last blast before home :)

We've 'probably' all done it

Sorry to learn that the OP got busted for €90. OTOH his poignant cri de coeur "Predictable, really :)" might have been a clue.

Perhaps it is just me and maybe I should hand my MB card back...

...but I really enjoy driving in France. Great food, nice people and endless empty country roads free of traffic, cctv cameras and with no trucks to sit behind at the weekends. I take a drive in France so that I can relax and remember what driving used to be like in the UK. No traffic jams or road-works lasting for years (often without workers in attendance)

As I said, perhaps it is just me. ;)

ive only driven in france once to and from paris in the same day for the 2006 champions league final

stunning weather and following someone there so did 70-80 mph most of the way

on way back once we knew our way i was doing 140+ all the way at about midnight and in the entire day on their superb roads i saw 1 police vehicle which looked like a 1950's green grocer van and 1 policeman next to it

loved their roads/weather/country

I think the 155 limiter on my car is broken...

If driving fast wasn't enjoyable then the emphasis from manufacturers would not be on making cars that go so fast :)

Switzerland I suspect is now not much behind France :)

My usual routes to Germany and Italy (not that I do Europe now much) are:

Hull-Zeebrugge ferry, refuel in Luxembourg, down through Germany, slow down through Switzerland, then to Gotthard and into Italy.

It's been a while since I've done it but the Swiss roads were very nice and you paid just the one toll per year, not sure how it works now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom