Busted in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im off to Germany in a weeks time, really cannot wait! We've just had some family friends who came over from Switzerland and even they said there is a lot of police presence in France, especially around Calais. Switzerland has apparently really cracked down on speeding, so everyone there drives spot on the limit otherwise you get hefty fines.

I'll be sticking to 70-75mph all the way as this is where my car gives me the best mileage on a long run.

Have a nice time and enjoy the german Aoutobahn and enjoy your Mercedes-Benz

Unlucky mate, I got caught doing 200kmh on my way back too in that 2 lane final stretch before the euro tunnel, got a 120 euro fine.... do you think there's a relation between speed and the amount fined ?? :)

Unlucky mate, I got caught doing 200kmh on my way back too in that 2 lane final stretch before the euro tunnel, got a 120 euro fine.... do you think there's a relation between speed and the amount fined ?? :)

I'd say that at 200 clicks you're extremely fortunate not to have walked home...

Sorry to hear you were caught, Londonscottish. Unlucky to get caught, but thankfully it only cost you beer money ;)

As others have shared their experiences, I may as well too.

I've travelled through France a few times on my way to Switzerland.
When I last went in June, I was VERY lucky to caught in a group of cars observing the speed limit, just as we reached a speed check where the police had a Subaru Impreza!

Last year, I've been flashed by a static camera hidden in an unmarked Renault Laguna estate, yet received nothing.

A couple of years ago I had a most bizarre encounter with the French police.
A policeman zapped me with a hair dryer while I was cruising at around 100mph. He was in Peugeot 306, switched on his blue lights and turned out on the road just as I passed him. However but made no effort to accelerate quickly to catch me up.
So I remained cruising until I was out of sight. Never saw him again. Never received anything through the post.
There is no embellishment of the truth in the above, and to this day me and my friends who were present are still mystified as to why he came out behind me if he had no intention of catching me up :confused:

I'm yet to be caught by a fixed camera in France, though. They seem to place speed camera signs shortly before the camera's location. That's very nice of them :D

Darren

I am amazed at the number of people confessing to exceeding the french speed limits by so much! 160 kph or 200 kph in france where the limit is 130 kph (110 kph raining). I can appreciate that when you are late for the tunnel or ferry then it is a calculated risk, but even so, this seems much faster than the rest of the traffic (and therefore more dangerous as they might not notice you before pulling out to overtake). I play the "system" to the limits at which the cameras flash but very seldom exceed the limits or the speed of the vast majority of traffic on the road (when greater than the posted limit).

In Russia, behaviour on the roads has greatly improved in recent years. The insurance industry, which was losing loads of money on car insurance claims, pressured for increases in penalties and this was done. Fines and license confiscations are much more commonplace and road discipline has improved. For example, pedestrians a pedestrian crossings are "protected" by law if they are on the crossing. And now Russian drivers actually stop for pedestrians, something which never happened before.

I have tried the autobahns and cruised at up to 200 kph but at these speeds I wonder what might happen if something went wrong at 55 metres per second and whether or not I would survive. Probably not I think. Maybe I am just getting older, but it seems to me that 130 kph is about right for a limit and ought to be respected. As you go faster, your field of vision narrows and your concentration is mostly up front and there is little time to worry about who may be creeping up at 200 kph.

Just my 2c as usual.

Les

Out of curiosity, when getting stopped by the french police, how well do they speak english? Or is all communication in french?

i know its a different country and all that, but especially on the calais route with all the english people travelling in that area. i would assume the police would be trained to deal with foreign travellers...No?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, when getting stopped by the french police, how well do they speak english? Or is all communication in french?

i know its a different country and all that, but especially on the calais route with all the english people travelling in that area. i would assume the police would be trained to deal with foreign travellers...No?

I am not sure but I think that if you have a few words of schoolboy French and are prepared to make the effort... well, it is one less irritation for the French police. It probably won't make much of a difference to prescribed and known penalties but the punishment may have less of an attitude attached to it. :)

I am amazed at the number of people confessing to exceeding the french speed limits by so much! 160 kph or 200 kph in france where the limit is 130 kph (110 kph raining). I can appreciate that when you are late for the tunnel or ferry then it is a calculated risk, but even so, this seems much faster than the rest of the traffic (and therefore more dangerous as they might not notice you before pulling out to overtake). I play the "system" to the limits at which the cameras flash but very seldom exceed the limits or the speed of the vast majority of traffic on the road (when greater than the posted limit).

I have tried the autobahns and cruised at up to 200 kph but at these speeds I wonder what might happen if something went wrong at 55 metres per second and whether or not I would survive. Probably not I think. Maybe I am just getting older, but it seems to me that 130 kph is about right for a limit and ought to be respected. As you go faster, your field of vision narrows and your concentration is mostly up front and there is little time to worry about who may be creeping up at 200 kph.

Just my 2c as usual.

Les

Hello Les,

While I can't speak for others, my speeds on the continent are only ever acheived when it is safe to do so - basically when environmental and traffic conditions allow.
I know that my car can very easily do it, and I've personally had advanced training that, while granted during which never went over 100mph, helped me to improve my 360 degree awareness and expectation of others on the road.

Travelling on the Autobahn, I've maxxed my Audi many times - that's 169mph (~270km/h) - and can spend many kilometres at 200+ km/h. It's absolutely fine. I anticipate, looking very far ahead and checking my mirrors regularly.
I occasionally get people who don't see me when pulling out, but that just means it's up to me to anticipate that and only go very fast when it's safe to do so :)

Driving quickly can be fun and challenging - I enjoy high-speed long distance cruising to Switzerland as much as I do driving on the Swiss Alpine roads when I get there :)

Yes in France, it's technically breaking the law and I would accept the consequences if I was caught. But if I'm that bit more aware of my surroundings, then hopefully the chances of spotting the police are better.

I don't condon excessive speed in the wrong conditions, but speed alone is nothing to worry about, so long as you know what you are doing and allow for others who may not.
Awareness and driver ability is the key to safety, not just watching the speedo :thumb:

Darren

You must remember French law is very different than ours..

Over there you are guilty until you can prove your innocent then you're found guilty.....:wallbash::wallbash:

Just back from my first trip in the Merc.... amazing fun (sun shone all the way -- must buy a hat!! -- sunburnt head is painful). Travel to Charente by car 5 or 6 times a year and usually in VW Phaeton... comfortable and sedate... stick to 140KMH usually (honest). Never had a problem with police... have to confess however that the temptation to "open up" the AMG was too much to resist at times and I may have tempted fate. All I will say- as a regular driver in France (and being half French I can risk a "debate" with the local Gendarmes), I would recommend sticking to the limits - and don't forget the "rain" reduction - on any autoroute within 100KM of any channel port.

All I will say- as a regular driver in France (and being half French I can risk a "debate" with the local Gendarmes)

Tried that in America once, thought I could converse in the local language but it did not work :D

Hello Les,

While I can't speak for others, my speeds on the continent are only ever acheived when it is safe to do so - basically when environmental and traffic conditions allow.
I know that my car can very easily do it, and I've personally had advanced training that, while granted during which never went over 100mph, helped me to improve my 360 degree awareness and expectation of others on the road.

Travelling on the Autobahn, I've maxxed my Audi many times - that's 169mph (~270km/h) - and can spend many kilometres at 200+ km/h. It's absolutely fine. I anticipate, looking very far ahead and checking my mirrors regularly.
I occasionally get people who don't see me when pulling out, but that just means it's up to me to anticipate that and only go very fast when it's safe to do so :)

Driving quickly can be fun and challenging - I enjoy high-speed long distance cruising to Switzerland as much as I do driving on the Swiss Alpine roads when I get there :)

Yes in France, it's technically breaking the law and I would accept the consequences if I was caught. But if I'm that bit more aware of my surroundings, then hopefully the chances of spotting the police are better.

I don't condon excessive speed in the wrong conditions, but speed alone is nothing to worry about, so long as you know what you are doing and allow for others who may not.
Awareness and driver ability is the key to safety, not just watching the speedo :thumb:

Darren

What an immature attitude !
And you drive a Mercedes ?

I just hope it won't be my grandchildren who pay for your bit of fun.

Sad.

Off to Italy again this year, have taken routes through France, Belgium and Germany. Will definitely to keep well within 140K indicated in France, especially now that they are about to or have already removed all speed camera signs and have many more mobile cameras. In Germany on unlimited autobahns, to drive very fast needs real road awareness, not saying I don't have it but I am not practiced at it, so stay under 100mph, which is fast enough on the few occasions I have done it. With some cars doing 150-180, and there are quite a few, its best to 'know my place'. Even overtaking slower vehicles at 90plus, fast cars approaching reach you very quickly. In Belgium, drivers seem to just not care, limits are ignored a lot, it seems. I think that in Switzerland they have massive surveillance capability, maybe not, so drive within the limits all the time. Italy the same but more for self-preservation. In the UK I drive fast where conditions allow, I am a more alert driver when doing so, more so than pootling through pointless 50mph limits, I do 30 max in a 30 etc, and still have a clean license.

Last edited:
No matter how much of a good driver you think you are, or how confident you are about your car, its the other road users you have to watch out for.

Classic example

On my way back from Leicester on the M1, im behind a driver of a Honda Accord and we are both cruising around 70 in the middle lane. In my wing mirror I spot a Vauxhall Insignia coming pretty fast in the outside lane, must have been doing around 100 to 110 atleast. The moron in the Honda in front of me decides to over take a Fiesta which was in front of him, totally oblivious about the Vauxhall approaching in the outside lane. Hell breaks lose, guy the Vauxhall slams on his brakes which makes him skid and you can hear him blasting his horn and flashing his lights. As he skids, he sways slightly into the middle lane almost nudging into me! I hit the brakes and luckily the slow lane is empty so I steer hard into that lane avoiding the guy in the Vauxhall from going into me from the side. At this point, the guy in the Honda has no clue what just happened behind him and he still proceeds to over take the Fiesta dead at 70 on the outside lane for another 5 minutes!!

Needless to say the Vauxhall guy is ****** beyond belief, over takes the Honda guy and slams on his brakes in front of him, speeds up and cuts him off, gets behind him and tailgates him bumper to bumper. This stupidness carried on for a while until the Honda guy had enough and moved over into the slow lane and pulled over on the hard shoulder. Then the Vauxhall guy gunned it down the fast lane till he's well out of sight.

I cant help but think what kind of nutters we have driving on our roads these days! The crap my poor W124 has to put up with :(

Vauxhall Insignias are used as unmarked police cars, you never know!!!

"On my way back from Leicester on the M1, im behind a driver of a Honda Accord and we are both cruising around 70 in the middle lane. In my wing mirror I spot a Vauxhall Insignia coming pretty fast in the outside lane, must have been doing around 100 to 110 atleast. The moron in the Honda in front of me decides to over take a Fiesta which was in front of him, totally oblivious about the Vauxhall approaching in the outside lane. Hell breaks lose, guy the Vauxhall slams on his brakes which makes him skid and you can hear him blasting his horn and flashing his lights. As he skids, he sways slightly into the middle lane almost nudging into me! I hit the brakes and luckily the slow lane is empty so I steer hard into that lane avoiding the guy in the Vauxhall from going into me from the side. At this point, the guy in the Honda has no clue what just happened behind him and he still proceeds to over take the Fiesta dead at 70 on the outside lane for another 5 minutes!!"

Niks - out of interest, why were you, and the Honda and the Fiesta cruising in the middle lane when the inside lane (or "slow lane") was empty?? They have made many parts of the M25 4 lanes now ... which seems to give many drivers the opportunity to leave 2 or 3 lanes empty...

The middle lane problem is the start of all this, whilst the Honda driver should have been aware, so should the Insignia driver that a car may pull out, it is not unreasonable for "law abiding mortorists" to overtake without being intimidated by others who flout the law to such a large extent. Perhaps if everone drove with more consideration, using the left lanes for example, allowing others to pull out, instead of the me, me, me mentality, we might all enjoy a nicer driving experience.

"On my way back from Leicester on the M1, im behind a driver of a Honda Accord and we are both cruising around 70 in the middle lane. In my wing mirror I spot a Vauxhall Insignia coming pretty fast in the outside lane, must have been doing around 100 to 110 atleast. The moron in the Honda in front of me decides to over take a Fiesta which was in front of him, totally oblivious about the Vauxhall approaching in the outside lane. Hell breaks lose, guy the Vauxhall slams on his brakes which makes him skid and you can hear him blasting his horn and flashing his lights. As he skids, he sways slightly into the middle lane almost nudging into me! I hit the brakes and luckily the slow lane is empty so I steer hard into that lane avoiding the guy in the Vauxhall from going into me from the side. At this point, the guy in the Honda has no clue what just happened behind him and he still proceeds to over take the Fiesta dead at 70 on the outside lane for another 5 minutes!!"

Niks - out of interest, why were you, and the Honda and the Fiesta cruising in the middle lane when the inside lane (or "slow lane") was empty?? They have made many parts of the M25 4 lanes now ... which seems to give many drivers the opportunity to leave 2 or 3 lanes empty...

When I joined the M1 from leicester I was plodding along in the slow lane for a bit until the tramlining started to annoy me from the lorry tracks, so I moved over into the middle lane where it was much better :thumb:

When I joined the M1 from leicester I was plodding along in the slow lane for a bit until the tramlining started to annoy me from the lorry tracks, so I moved over into the middle lane where it was much better :thumb:

Seems like a valid reason...??!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom