Button to join McLaren

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cue statements such as "Its not the money, honest", "Its always been an ambition to drive for McClaren", "I love Ron dennis, hes lovely", "Ive always got on well wil Lewis" etc etc..

Dont blame the fella, I know I would do the same. He waslucky to get the best car last year and made it count, he may not get the opportunit again, so may as well get a nice little retirment fund going after all he's no longer the youngest driver about these days!.

Looks like a no brainer to me, honestly what were Brawn thinking?

He's not asking for Raikonnen money, in terms of Formula 1 his requests seemed sensible.....Particularly for the current world champion.

Reading between the lines he was steered into this position, there's bound to have been some politics that Mr Brundle will unearth later in the season.

Anyway I'm relishing the thought of Hamilton and Button in the same car which will effectively be starting from scratch and I don't for one moment think there will be a number 1 or 2 driver.

Reading between the lines he was steered into this position, there's bound to have been some politics that Mr Brundle will unearth later in the season.

Is it done and dusted with McLaren yet? Sounds like not quite yet. And it's being dragged out.

Which presumably means the publicity is still part of the negotiating process with Brawn.:(

Sometimes it's better when all of this is done behind locked doors and there's a final announcement - and it's all sorted without the media being involved.

I think his best chance of success next year is in the Mclaren. They've had a big budget and a written off 2009 to dedicate on their 2010. Yes they've imporved their 2009 car but I bet they started development for their next car earlier than they did last year.

The money will help. He had to pay a fortune to buy himself out of his Williams contract IIRC, and he's never been a big earner. Compared to his peers I would imagine he's fairly poor financially.

Compared to his peers I would imagine he's fairly poor financially.

So poor He had to sell his Bugatti Veyron:crazy:

He was 3rd or 4th highest paid driver on the grid for a number of years under Honda & BAR circa £8 million a year.

He's not a short of a few bob.

My guess is that the brawn had run out of Honda funded develpment after the midway point of last season and we all know how great the car was after turkey. i think Button was looking at driving the 4th best car in 2010 and McClaren is in a different league to the forthcoming Brawn. Everyone seems to be talking salaries and forgetting the cars. he has had top money from BAR and Honda for 5 years (only the two schumachers, raikonenen, Alonso were earning more than him except last year) and its now time to have the best car a world champion should get. True test is can he handle Lewis. The same guy that put Alonso in his place when Alonso was a double world champ and Lewis was a rookie. My thoughts are not a chance.

The 2009 Brawn car was a compromise, it was a last minute deal with Mercedes that provided them with an engine (Ferrari also made the same offer to keep them on the grid), but that car (chassis) had been designed to accept a Honda engine.

This means the set up was literally lashed together, the centre of gravity was out of whack and things weren't ideally where they should have been given a clean slate.

It was astonishing that the car was as good as it was early in the season....it was then devloped as far as possible throughout the season to a point where it couldn't be improved.

The other teams then caught up, bar Ferrari that publicly stated they'd given up on this years dog to concentrate on next year.

Car's aside, one thing impresses me about Button and that's scoring consistency throughout the season.

I really don't understand Brawn/Mercedes GP reluctance to open the check book and sign.

As much as I would have liked to have seen him stay at Brawn, I think this is a good move.

Mclaren now have the reining world champion and most consistent driver on the grid and Hamilton, oft lauded as a prodigy.

McLaren for the constructors title next year?

It makes for a great season and I think having both great driver in the same car will be fantastic. Can't wait for next season.

I'm not a fan of Jenny Buttons he the worst driver whoever won a world championship, and he's been very luck - bad driver in a cheating car for the first part of the year and because the rest were closely matched the points were spread further than they might of been. I bet he is one of the lowest point scoring world champions as well.

Next year he is going to get hammered by lewis a naturally talented driver, in one of the best cars, can't wait... what is is 18 weeks or some think.

I'm not a fan of Jenny Buttons he the worst driver whoever won a world championship, and he's been very luck - bad driver in a cheating car for the first part of the year and because the rest were closely matched the points were spread further than they might of been. I bet he is one of the lowest point scoring world champions as well.

Here take a look at the results yourself,

formula 1 - statistics 1950 - today
Mika Hakinnens world championship was won with 76 points.

This has more to do with a greater number of competitive drivers and vehicles during a season than anything else...going back further the numbers drop lower.

In my veiw the worst driver that ever won the world championship is Schumacher who clearly won by crashing into his main rival, out and out cheating. He also happens to be one of the most talented drivers in the history of racing so the irony is he didn't really need to do it.

Two other teams had the same diffuser design and Brawn........where were they in the title fight if it was that alone that made so much difference.?

If you don't like the guy fair enough...but really.....the rest of the comments above are gibberish....

Ibad driver in a cheating car for the first part of the year

Well did he deliberately push anybody else off the track ?

Did he get any absurd stewards' decisions in his favour ?

Did he have a patsy for a team mate who:

a) drove tactically to block other drivers?

b) drove into walls or caused safety car incidents?

c) pulled over to let him win in Austria?

Did he possibly have some rather dodgy launch control in his championship winning car.

Did he throw away points by waving to the crowd on his last lap and screwing up a gearchange?

So far Button's looking pretty good compared with some of the other World Champions.

And as for his "cheating car" it was adjudicated to be within the rules. So that's good design.

Ok, so it's the Mirror, but if this story is correct it looks like Button took less to drive at McLarent than He was offered to drive for Brawn/Mercedes.....

BUTTON 2M CUT TO JOIN McLAREN - mirror.co.uk

Turned down £8 million to take £6 Million. So that would knock the "He's after money" nonsense on the head.....but is it the right move? Probably a bit of a coin toss actually, I'll guess we found out next year.

Its funny how we focus on the drivers. My guess is the "man" Mercedes really wanted was Ross Brawn. My bet is that they also want at least one German driver to complete the package for the home market. Perhaps Jenson saw the "writing on the wall" and jumped before he was pushed.

Last edited:
The £8 Million offered by MB is total rubbish, He asked Brawn/Mercedes for £6m and they refused, they would not even have a face to face meeting with his management team. His current Salary with Brawn is around £3.5m - £4.0m so he goes to McLaren for £6m which is what he was asking for, by my calculations he has just got a minimum of a 50% pay rise and probably not unreasonable for the current world Champion :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom