Buy 1989 or 1990 Mercedes 300 sel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grant Nixon

I am thinking of buying late 1989 or early 1990 SEL, 4 door with approx 228,000 km on it. What regular maintence and replacement costs can I expect after these cars reach the 220,00km plateau?
Cost to purchase is approx $5,500 to $7,500.
I have owned a number of good quality cars like a Lincoln, so I know how these upper class vehicles drive and ther quality is superb.

However, I have never owned such a high mileage vehicle and am worried about the horror stories of these Mercedes nickle and diming you to death. This is a one owner vehicle with regular TLC ,but, I am still worried about that 200,000km milestone!...

I have done minor repairs myself on other vehicles such as water pumps and alternators, but nothing major...

Should I be considering a Lexus or Infiniti, Honda Accord or Toyota Camry in the 1998 or 1999 year range?
I am a fairly big man at 6'1'' and 225lbs (85kg), so comfort and room are an important consideration, but the repair costs and past reviews by others have me concerned...Should I wait around for a lower 100,000km SE class or go the Asian car market??!!
Please advise me ANYBODY

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom